Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What's happening here? Pics included

Morning Pelicans:

Washing my '83SC last nite, and the Wevo engine mounts installed 4 years ago caught my eye:

Anything to worry about? I've got the same units supporting my tranny as well.

Thanks Pelicans!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Just spitballing but it looks like the rubber is degrading or perhaps that side is too loose so that pieces of the rubber are getting sheared off. I would take it out, replace the bushing from WEVO and I would replace the two rusty bolts with genuine Porsche bolts that you can buy right here on pelican.they are rusting all over your nice WEVO mounts.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is the large rubber piece still pliable or is it hard and brittle?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
OEM mounts do that too, rubber just squeezes out and gets pinched by the lip of the concaved washer, if washer was flipped it would not do that.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If I were you I would send these pictures to Windrush Evolutions (WEVO) and see what they say. The material is some type of polyurethane I think, and the type of impact cycling they normally get in these mounts should not produce that effect. Do you track the car? The main conditions I can think of to cause that are extreme heat cycling, or extreme vibration. In any event, your condition is at the limit of the material, so either they (WEVO) used a bad batch of material, or you have an extreme set of operating parameters. I tend to think it's the former. My $.02.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those washers are upside down are they not?

Regards
Mike
RS #1551
67S
Old 09-29-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
Those washers are upside down are they not?

Regards
Mike
Yes they're upside down. I see it all the time.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I will flip them. Do you know the torque value for the bolts?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezoneill View Post
Yes they're upside down. I see it all the time.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Very pliable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Is the large rubber piece still pliable or is it hard and brittle?
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Uh, if you look at their website (WEVO), the washer is on the bottom and the top has the insert with the convex top...

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-911SSEngineMounts.htm
Old 09-30-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
This is all leading to an inquiry with WEVO. Iíll call them and report back. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
Uh, if you look at their website (WEVO), the washer is on the bottom and the top has the insert with the convex top...

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-911SSEngineMounts.htm
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Mounts.

Draco should know, we just did the mounts on my car.................

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 09-30-2018, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Update - Wevo got back to me quickly and said the pillows were not performing as intended. Replacement set is forthcoming. For those who thought the washer was inverted - Wevo confirmed they were installed correctly. Will advise once I do the swap.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Update: Got around to replacing the pillows today, and glad I did:

Not sure why this would happen? I can say that the passenger side was worse for wear, the bottom pillow piece was almost completely disintegrated. Heat related, being so close to the oil tank? I replaced my trombone with a Carrera cooler 2-3 years after installing the Wevos, and my car runs cooler as a result...in any case I will be sending the old set to Wevo and let's see what they say. I will also check the tranny mounts to see if they have the same issue.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: