Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1980sc warm problems

Hi,

First post here in Pelican, hope I can learn from this community. I'm from Dominican Republic, bought a US 80' SC and imported it here 2 months ago, the car had a full engine work done in FL, VERTEX AUTO.

I need help with my car. It was running properly before my alternator died.

After I received the alternator from rebuild shop and installed back in the car, the CDI box went kaput, sent for repair to Bob Ashlock, and ordered a classic retrofit CDI+ to have both options.

I received the CDI+ first, so decided to install it along a black coil from parts klassik, the car started normally, everything was operating as expected. While driving on the streets, the car shut off, I started it again, it started for a brief second. then shut off again, and it kept doing the same thing consequently. It started, ran for 10 seconds and went off, backfired through the exhaust went it would shut off in 2 occasions.

This morning, I started the car again, had to press the gas pedal a little bit for it to start, after 30minutes idling in the parking, i decided to drive it a bit to see if it would happen again, as soon as I rolled +-4ft in the car, it went off again, I restarted it and reversed back to parking space.

I was talking to the mechanic I know here in DR, and he thinks these symptoms come from a faulty ignition distributor.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to you car?

Sorry for my english,

FG
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Check your red fuel pump relay is tight in the socket. You can spread the male pins on the relay a little with a razor blade.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Would you say the relay placement is correct? The mechanic exchanged two relays, but I didn稚 noticed which ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-30-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is this relay placement correct?

Thank you,

Old 09-30-2018, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is this relay placement correct?

thx
Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
I don’t see the correct red relay with the diode built in.
Usually closest to the driver in most SC cars.

Also post a photo of the green wire going to the distributor. (First 6 inches or so coming from distributor) If it is brown and cracked it could be a source of your problem.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I tried exchanging the black FP relay with the brown relay, just to see if it was a problem. the car did the same thing. it would start, 20-25min later while idling, it would shut down.

Here's a picture of the green wire.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Green wire looks ok in picture. Can’t see if it has cracked insulation.
Hopefully you kept your old coil.
Try swapping it back in and see if the problem goes away.
Then same thing with your CDI once it comes back from Bob if it isn’t the new coil.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Which type of coil are you using?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I知 using a Black coil,

Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
full check of ignition (from plugs, via cable sockets, cables, distr.cap/finger, coil, all grounding, up to CDI)

full check of fuelsupply (from pump, via filter, via distributor/valve, up to injectors)

do this methodically.

then maybe check WUR (engine left) and cold start valve (engine right) and it's injector (rear of airbox)
FB: www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklingonz View Post
I知 using a Black coil,

CDI+ fires the coil twice each combustion. A while back we reduced the spark interval to 300us which has proven to be a little too fast for some coils. We have now changed back to the previous default value of 400us. The symptoms of this is usually rough all round performance but it would not hurt to check. You can change the spark interval using our software on a Windows laptop.

Software is in the zip file here:

Classic Retrofit CDI Plus upgrade ignition unit for Porsche 911 models 6-pin
Old 10-01-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi Jhonny,

As soon as I installed the repaired CDI I received, the car operated normally. I値l have to configure the 2nd spark time to be able to run the CDI+. Thank you all, I値l keep you guys posted when I put back the CDI+

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklingonz View Post
Hi Jhonny,

As soon as I installed the repaired CDI I received, the car operated normally. I値l have to configure the 2nd spark time to be able to run the CDI+. Thank you all, I値l keep you guys posted when I put back the CDI+

Please set to 400us. It seems that 300us is a bit marginal. I expect manufacturing tolerances and possibly age of coil are factors.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Johnny,
He did say in his first post he installed a new coil from partsklassic.

frank, so the repaired CDI fixed the problem and you are good to go?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yes Timmy, thank you.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: