Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

They do make plenty of products to remove water from the gas but they shouldn’t be used continuously.

We have 10% ethanol in all our gas here in MN and there are a very large number of stations already offering E15. They are selling it as 88 octane for less than the 87. The average Joe will have no idea what they are buying. I have a diesel truck so easy for me to avoid and I have trained the wife In well on the ethanol subject. Along with that we still have plenty of 92 non-oxy (ethanol free) pumps around, almost every station. The recreation vehicle use in MN is keeping that alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
According to the app, there an ethanol free station nearby where I live that has 95 octane. If I switch from 93 octane ethanol gas to 95 octane non-ethanol gas, will I have to re-jet my carbs?
I can't tell if you have mods done to your motor that increase its tendency to have pre-ignition/knock. (high comp pistons, turbo, supercharger are things that would.) So really, it might not require that high of an octane rating.
I know when people run e85, they end up having to inject vastly more fuel to match their AFR and power compared to pure gas but it does allow more tolerance to knocking. So potentially, yes. You would need larger jetting to maintain the same power and AFR. With e15 it might be fractionally larger but...
Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
60 % of mower/ chain saw shop business is repairing alcohol damage!!!

About a year ago, I asked a mower shop service guy about damage from alcohol/gasoline effects.
He stated that 60 % of his shop income was from repairing alcohol related damage.
I know porsches are not infrequently used yard equipment, but, if you don't keep the "fuel" constantly moving through the system, you could have some expensive repairs coming soon.
Personally, I am looking at cleaning" up a 6 year, "idle" fuel system.
"F" alcohol.
Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Coming
Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Another reason to ditch your archaic carbs and CIS.

Update your engine to EFI and better yet, ITB's with EFI to get the most of your motor!

911 engines were not meant to be stifled by CIS and run poorly when cold with carbs! She deserves better than that!
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Petition against the mandated use of E15; https://www.onthewater.com/take-action-sign-petition-ethanol-fuels-reform
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
That link is from 2017 and the campaign is no longer active. At least that's what I got when I followed the "sign up" link...

'06 911 S Aerokit - since 5/2/2016
'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
That link is from 2017 and the campaign is no longer active. At least that's what I got when I followed the "sign up" link...

Same here...but tell me where to sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I have 93/95/100 octane available for my Hot Rod.... it's expensive but worth it. Thank goodness I only burn a tank about once a month.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

In any case be careful with this stuff! My son races an Ultra4 unlimited class off road racer with a supercharged LS3 in it. It's set up for E85. We have a test kit and typically buy our fuel 55 gallon drums at a time. We test each batch and have found the alcohol percentages all the way from 60% to 90%! So, the tune has to be adjusted pretty much each time we buy fuel. I can't imagine that E15 is going to be any more accurate, so I worry about what happens when you get a batch that just happens to be well above 15% alcohol!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I live in Wa state and just filled the SC yesterday with ethanol free gas and it came to $72. I almost fell over. Haven’t seen prices that high for 10 years when filling my Audi came to $75 and the gas pump shut off at $50 and had to reinsert my credit card for the remaining gallons.

$72 is high but rationalized it as good insurance.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Any other states restrict road use fuel to "E" fuels??

In humboldt county, kalifoania, any purchaser of alcohol free fuels must sign a verification that absolutely none of that there non ecogroovy fuel will NEVER, ever be used on public roads, no how, no way...
AND, they ream you $5 bucks and change for it.

Assuming mix consistency can EFI return performance equivalent to real gas?
Chris
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I have a few options locally to get ethanol free gas. It's 25-30% more expensive than "regular" gas so if I know I'll be driving a bunch I opt for the corn infused, if the car will be sitting for a while I get the ethanol free.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
Rob, come on. If he says we should do it, then we probably should. He's like the smartest person you know and really good at car stuff. Like, the best. It will help the economy by providing a much needed boost to the fuel injector, fuel pump, and fuel line markets. Sales for those items will skyrocket. Just wait. You're gonna be so rich...you have no idea.
LOL. Well played, sir!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

This stuff was recommended by a Porsche tech friend. It is said to remove (or neutralize, not sure of the chemistry) the ethanol from gas. One ounce per 20 gallons.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe you should resist using that! Snake Oil. Comeing is not how you spell coming.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I use XP3 in both Porsches especially when the carbed 914 starts to act up. Also use it as n my diesel and A6. Good stuff. Usually every other tank full
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309

Last edited by RSBob; Yesterday at 03:58 PM..
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: