Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Barn find coming around

Well here's my barn find. Cleaning up nicely. The seats are incredible. The mice ate the rags, maps, and driving gloves. The seats and interior are almost to good to be true. Cleaning and buffing, no restoration or after market parts. I could use a passenger side floor panel if anyone has one. I am going to remove the ac since it is NOT on the C.O.A.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Wow! Remarkable interior condition. Hows the engine compartment look?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
looks like no engine...but nice 911
Old 10-11-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
very cool
Old 10-11-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is amazing condition for a barn find that old. I'd keep the AC even if it needs a complete rebuild or won't be used. Looks very rare. Even the top looks great along with the interior.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Damn, he washed it.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

US cars back then frequently had dealer installed AC. Might not be on the COA but quite likely on the car when the first owner took delivery.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
wondering how that mud got on the car!

Last edited by flashboarder; 10-11-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Old 10-11-2018, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Couple more barn find pics

AC was dealer installed after 2 months of ownership. Complete log book from original owner documenting EVERYTHING. Removing AC since it was not on COA, and only takes away from HP. Also, all original dash pieces are there to reinstall after ac removed. Original paint, engine, and tranny per C.O.A.
As neat as they are to find all dirty, at some point you have to decide that its time for the mouse carcass's and turds to be removed from the car. Plus it stank really bad.

Under optional equipment on C.O.A. it reads, "Special paint according to special color book" has anyone seen this language before? Just curious.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The paint looks pretty bad. Try cutting it and see if it comes back!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It's amazing to think that there are STILL collectible cars just sitting in some barn.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

thoughts??

I used a light cleaner/cutter on paint. It appears oxidation comes off to reveal a very nice shine. I did it only in one place to test results. I've cleaned interior, and it looks incredible. Some people suggest buffing paint to the best shine possible, others say leave it alone (oxidation and all) All opinions appreciated. Talked with Willhoit and European collectibles. They say shine the paint, and that's what my gut says. But no respray, and no restoration is even being considered. Thanks for opinions!!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
I used a light cleaner/cutter on paint. It appears oxidation comes off to reveal a very nice shine. I did it only in one place to test results. I've cleaned interior, and it looks incredible. Some people suggest buffing paint to the best shine possible, others say leave it alone (oxidation and all) All opinions appreciated. Talked with Willhoit and European collectibles. They say shine the paint, and that's what my gut says. But no respray, and no restoration is even being considered. Thanks for opinions!!
Don't use a buffer as a starting point on this project The original paint on early 70's cars are thin, many left the factory with barely two coats of paint. You can always use a buffer after the fact if needed.

I would clay the car first to remove particles that have attached to the paint ( the little stuf you feel when you run your hand on the paint) , then by hand - take a fine polishing paste to start the process you can do a second coat with a more aggressive cutting paste if you need a " little" more removal. Wax by hand - Do two coats allowing the first coat to cure for 48 hours and you will have a beautiful car. With this darker color, I would use " Best of Show" wax from Griots. Take a look at the Griots website - they have IMO, great products and great videos explaining the process and how to use their products.

Good luck, looks like an awesome find.

Last edited by speedster911; 10-12-2018 at 07:44 AM..
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
It's amazing to think that there are STILL collectible cars just sitting in some barn.

Seriously!!!
71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome find and fun project! Looks really great inside and out!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Hope the interior doesn't stink with mildew/mold... can be a real bear to get the smell out. Lots of cleaner & sunshine. Should remove the seats to help kill the mold. If all else fails, think about getting an ozone generator...
Yukon Yellow
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Funny you should mention ozone. Prior to removing the Targa top, which btw has been in place since 1979, I placed my ozone generator in the car with doors shut. I did that prior to seat removal and cleaning of interior. It is getting that Porsche smell back. I know everyone knows what I’m talking about.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Great find.....congrats!!

Would 100% recommend you use this:3M 39007 Imperial Hand Glaze 39007, 16 fl oz. on the body paint. (including the under sides of F/R lids)

As the name says...this is a hand operation. Goes on easy..do small sections....glazes up after few minutes...comes off easy. I always used old T-shirt’s or flannel for removal and cotton wax applicators or old soft towels pieces to apply. Works amazing.

You can apply more pressure on application for a little more action....but painted surface removal is very minimal, uniform and controlled.

I also used this after I repainted my black targa bar and any of the overspray oxidation was removed. Even in bright sunshine...looks great.

As clearly noted on product...you will get a wonderful smooth surface and shine...BUT....you must apply wax after completion to seal/protect the surface.

Regards,
JT

PS- since you don’t want to replace anything....you may be able to use rental carpet cleaner w/ a small hand held wand on all the floor carpeting under the mats. Then use a few household fans for a few hours of drying. I found that’s where a lot of smell was coming from on my 73.5.

Last edited by Jtt84911; 10-13-2018 at 05:59 AM..
Old 10-13-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
It looks like the passenger side door and front fender don't match in the photos of that side....could be lighting or could be a front fender repaint with no blending,
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 10-13-2018, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Very cool find. Agree not to work the paint too hard. I'd do what speedster says and start with a clay bar.

Mold smell can be a bear. An ozone generator is the best way to get rid of it, but first you have to make sure you have gotten rid of all viable colonies. If there is still a damp smell, I'd consider renting an industrial sized dehumidifier and rigging plastic lay-flat tubing to pump its output into the car through a window. Set the dehu on a fairly low setting, run for several hours, and check to make sure things aren't getting too dry (like vinyl seats). Repeat until it's dry as a bone in there, then ozone it. Be careful--an ozone machine robs the air of oxygen, so you need to make sure you have good ventilation.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: