Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1971 911 t rhd - info please

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum/Porsche world and just wanted to hopefully get some info/any info, on this 1971 911 T right hand drive car that i am looking into. Car has 63,000 original km's.

I have been told by the ORIGINAL OWNER that he Imported the car originally from Hong Kong to Canada and therefore is RHD. Are right hand drive versions more rare? how many were produced in comparison to left hand drive 1971 911 T's?

Above the vin plate, there is the smaller plate thats marked BS AU 48... what does this represent? On the vin plate itself, after it says - Typ 911 T, it says 'C' after..what does this mean?

Im really just looking for any general information that you guys can provide by looking at these pictures of the vehicle/vin. it looks like the owner put rs front bumper on this? The car runs and drives well and from what i can tell, has been kept mechanically sound. There is barely any rust on the body, just two tiny surface rust spots from what i can tell.

I know its difficult to tell from just these pictures, but if numbers are matching, the body is in good condition, and mostly just needs a few cosmetic issues addressed, what would be the market value of such a car?

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback on this. Appreciate it!

Last edited by Chris.H; 10-16-2018 at 06:46 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Chris
It looks like the car was produced for the British market as it has the BS (British Standards Plate). Hong Kong was British territory then so the story sounds correct.
I think from memory RHD cars are about 10-12% of the total number production so yes, much fewer in number.
The C just represents the series of car, as Porsche updated the model during the production life.
The rear bumper and Porsche reflector are for a later car as are the mirrors
It also appears to have a later 2.7 or 3.0 engine.
Cheers
'71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST SOLD
Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The BS tag is for British seat belts I believe. RHD is quite rare as Cameron says. It is quite possible that you could sell it into a RHD market for a reasonable profit to acquire a better car for yourself. It would probably be a good idea to flush the sunroof drains on all four corners. Do you know your engine & transmission numbers. The more original the better.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Advertise it in UK, NZ or AU, ship it there and profit. Then you can choose from much more numerous LHD cars.

Itís not original at all - it has a later model rear end fitted and a later model engine. The engine appears to be a 3.0 from a 81-83 SC.

But itís an ideal candidate for restoration or long hood hotrod base and has value as such. Most likely hotrod with the 3.0 engine already there. Hard to price in CAD but the best market for it is in the RHD countries.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
The rust streak from the sun roof drain concerns me.

You say surface rust? These cars rust from the inside out.

Post a shot of the surface rust you can see and we will have a better idea of what you may be dealing with.

You should have someone who a:you trust and b: who is familiar with these old UN-galvanized cars put it up on a lift and CAREFULLY inspect for rust.

Grab a tall drink and see what is typical on these old cars... Waterlogged Rust Bucket everything looks good until post #18.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 10-17-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The best market is where there aren't many/any RHD cars. I can't see any negatives toward owing one here in the states. But yeah, address the rust before the car disappears.

Sherwood
Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
The best market is where there aren't many/any RHD cars. I can't see any negatives toward owing one here in the states. But yeah, address the rust before the car disappears.

Sherwood
I couldnít disagree with this more, having a LHD in a RHD market is a major drag on selling. Most people arenít interested in the novelty/rarity factor unless they get the car at a discount. It works for R34 skylines because they never were LHD. But not for 911s which were produced in both.

Agreed on rust. Itís the silent killer and soaks up time and cost and doesnít make the car better to drive.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

definite plus for racetracks run clockwise
Old 10-18-2018, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: