Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Shifter coupling end piece wont come off.

Its the piece where the cup seal (white) goes, but it won't slide off, I took the bolt off. The end of the shift rod looks beat up, could this be holding it on?

See pic (its the very far right side piece). I'm trying to change the shifter seal/bushing, it's incredibly difficult to shift (like molasses!). Dremel the end??

Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
If I understand you, you have completely removed the special set screw from the side of the shift receiver and now the piece will not come off the shaft. I just did this and I believe it wiggled off easy after the removal of that set screw. That screw has to come all the way out as it isn't just a grub/set screw, but it has a shaft on the end of it that slides in and will hold the piece on.

If the end is beat up as you say, yes, that could prevent it from coming off. A dremel with a sanding wheel or maybe just a flat file to take the high points off.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 10-17-2018, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am a little confused as to which part you are having trouble with. If you are saying you cannot get that plastic bushing off, I used a heat gun to make mine soft, and it came right off. Note, it took VERY little time to get things hot. As I recall, the new bushing went on with no problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've changed the white bushing before and I recall the metal part (that holds the cup seal for the shifter) just slides off. This one will definitely not slide off (the special nut/bolt is 100% off).

File/dremel time! Also thank for the tip on the heat gun!!
PS I just borrowed this pic, ignore the arrow
Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Got it off, phew! The end was burred up really bad. Thanks gents!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: