Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Targa bar weather strip missing fasteners?

After removing Targa bar rubber weather strip I noticed 2 holes on either side of the Targa top locating pin hole. Im replacing the rubber weather strip and would like to know what used to go in those holes cause mine were missing. Were there some sort of fasteners and does Pelican sell them? Part numbers??
Old 10-20-2018, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are plastic rivets there. You will need four of these:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=999-703-186-40-M100

You would be well advised to read a few of the threads on installing the Targa seal. This is a good one to start:

targa weatherstrip install?

There are many more.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300

Last edited by HarryD; 10-20-2018 at 09:35 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
There's also a little cap that covers the hole on the rivet head, not sure if it's included or you buy it separately. And get a few spare rivets, you'll probably ruin one or two trying to get them in. Make yourself a tool to push them in. Read as many of the threads on here as you can, there's lots of good info, plus a link to a YouTube video made by Porsche back in the 80's that covers Targa top seals and such - very useful. Now is also a good time to replace the plastic screw-on covers for the roof rack holes, visible on your first photo. I did all that on mine a couple years ago and it turned out well. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkly-Noon View Post
There's also a little cap that covers the hole on the rivet head, not sure if it's included or you buy it separately. And get a few spare rivets, you'll probably ruin one or two trying to get them in. Make yourself a tool to push them in. Read as many of the threads on here as you can, there's lots of good info, plus a link to a YouTube video made by Porsche back in the 80's that covers Targa top seals and such - very useful. Now is also a good time to replace the plastic screw-on covers for the roof rack holes, visible on your first photo. I did all that on mine a couple years ago and it turned out well. Good luck!
Totally agree.

As far as the rivets, I needed 8 to successfully install the required 4 due to figuring out how to set them. I needed to make a tool out of a bolt, nuts and washers. The info is posted here somewhere. But read up first!

For the little caps, you can see them here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/999-591-384-40-M100&SuperCat=Y&SVSVSI=5878.htm
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
OK I need to make a special tool to push them in, but how far do they get pushed in? If I push them in too far wont they pinch the rubber seal too much? Do I push them in just far enough so they hold the seal against the Targa bar cover? I watched the videos but it wasnt clear how far they should be pushed in. In one German video the guy seems to pound on the special tool with his hand pretty hard until it wont go any further in?? I dont want to ruin them and have to pull them out if I go too far in.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure Porsche had a special tool for it, but here's the tool I made - just a long screw with a couple of nuts. Adjust the nuts so that they contact the rivet head at the same time as the tip of the screw contacts the inside tip of the rivet. That way you can push the rivet in evenly without it buckling...

Then I just put a screwdriver against the screw head and hit the screwdriver handle with a mallet. Worked pretty well for me. I put the rivet in far enough to compress the seal a little bit. Don't worry about pushing it in too far, you'll probably break the rivet before that happens.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm sure Porsche had a special tool for it, but here's the tool I made - just a long screw with a couple of nuts. Adjust the nuts so that they contact the rivet head at the same time as the tip of the screw contacts the inside tip of the rivet. That way you can push the rivet in evenly without it buckling...

Then I just put a screwdriver against the screw head and hit the screwdriver handle with a mallet. Worked pretty well for me. I put the rivet in far enough to compress the seal a little bit. Don't worry about pushing it in too far, you'll probably break the rivet before that happens.
Exactly what I did.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 10-21-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Great tool idea. Just ordered the Wurth glue and rivets- will be one of the next jobs on the project list.
I have the inner targa upholstery (upside down u shaped piece that goes on inside of targa bar) off too. Does that need to go on before the seal or does it matter?
1997 993 C2
2016 981 Spyder PTS
Old 10-21-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: