Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What Was Wrong With Black Interiors

I’ve been searching for a 964 or 993 cabriolet – in dark blue (or any other “interesting“ color than red or white.). A high percentage of them seemed to have white or blue interiors from the factory. WTH??? One example below - but they’re not hard to find.

Perhaps that was all the rage then, but IMO they have’nt held up well physically OR aesthetically.

I am def not concerned about resale value, but whether or not it’s a fool’s errand to buy a late model 911 with the expectation of replacing the interior with black.

Thoughts?
Anyone ever attempted such?

TIA

David Epp

I LOVE this color!

But (perhaps it’s just me) I can’t hang with this interior:

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My Ice Green Metallic had a cinnamon interior from the factory - oh the '70's! It's all black now. I've often wondered the same thing!
'14 Audi A6 3.0
‘18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My 82 was all white and hideous. I swapped the seats, steering wheel removed the console and thats all it took to make it nice. I left the white door panels and knee pad to break up the black and it looks quite nice.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To me, black is the best interior color. It's timeless.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
agree, and black interiors have fewer reflections
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

People were tired of them? They get super hot in the sun?
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
Black is the new black
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

"I’ve been searching for a 964 or 993 cabriolet – in dark blue (or any other “interesting“ color than red or white.)."

Owning GP white and Guards Red cars, I resent the inference that I am dull and boring no matter how true it may be!!

Last edited by RedCoupe; 10-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Add quotation marks.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I really think it is a USA thing to be honest. Here in Europe most 964’s and 993’s have black interiors. The odd ball have a dark blue or classic gray interior (gray mostly Germany)

Ive never understood why there are so many red 911’s with a beige interior in the US. Red with a black interior is so much nicer!!

I own a Polar Silver 993 C2 Coupe with black full leather interior (dash, doorpanels and center console are also black leather) and a Grand Prix White 1987 3.2 G50 Targa, also with a black interior. I wouldn’t have bought them with any other interior.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Life's too short to drive sports cars with boring interiors.

I'd have a lobster red interior on silver or blue if I could.

The mid 90s grey interiors were popular - lots of cars have them. They wear OK. The late 80s had a lot of dark blue. Fashions change, times change. It's period correct. You should never pass up a good car based on interior color. When I got my chocolate brown 911 interior it jarred with me at first because I was used to muted modern colors. Now I love it - chocolatey goodness and so different from everything else.

Take a look at a mid 50s american car- a riot of colors and chrome - they look awesome. The plastic charcoal grey with fake elephant nut texture of most modern cars is hideous and cheap in comparison.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post
Life's too short to drive sports cars with boring interiors.

I'd have a lobster red interior on silver or blue if I could.

The mid 90s grey interiors were popular - lots of cars have them. They wear OK. The late 80s had a lot of dark blue. Fashions change, times change. It's period correct. You should never pass up a good car based on interior color. When I got my chocolate brown 911 interior it jarred with me at first because I was used to muted modern colors. Now I love it - chocolatey goodness and so different from everything else.

Take a look at a mid 50s american car- a riot of colors and chrome - they look awesome. The plastic charcoal grey with fake elephant nut texture of most modern cars is hideous and cheap in comparison.
completely agree
Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I understand the love for black interiors. It's classic and just feels so right to many of us out there. It's kind of a yawner too. My 87 has a black interior. It looks good. On the other hand, if I'm honest... Black interiors are kinda stark, at best, and boring at their worst (although boring is good for some folks, whether they care to admit it or not).

My '88 has a black & champagne interior: champagne seats, door panels, pulls, pocket lids & center console. Black: dash (upper, fascia and lower), steering wheel, door tops, door pockets, carpet and mats. It isn't stark or boring and it is attractive. Win / win.

My E39 M5 had the black / blue two-tone sport interior. It's polarizing. I find it so much more interesting, especially with the Titan line interior trim pieces, than all black. It's "teutonically whimsical."

The best cars offer a sense of theater and occasion and interior design and colorway are important aspects of that. My uncle had a black 300 SL gullwing with a red interior (with an Ivory color steering wheel and lots of chrome). Talk about special!

WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

I think the no-black interiors was a late 80s and 90s US fashion thing. As an example, even the E28 BMW M5 was available in the US with only a light tan interior with black exterior. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to this rule, but not terribly many.

Grey was and still is popular as it's a lighter colour so easier to keep cool, and pretty neutral so it goes with most exterior shades.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I had to look for a year and half for a Guards red 1990 c2 with black interior. Most of them as said are with tan interior. I couldn't stomach that. If it really bothers you, you could wait. But, it may take a long time and patience on your part. If waiting is not for you maybe get the car you want with the grey interior and give yourself a year with the car. It may grow on you and you may actually enjoy it. Always good to live with the car for little while before you make any major changes.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post

Grey was and still is popular as it's a lighter colour so easier to keep cool, and pretty neutral so it goes with most exterior shades.
Yet, there are many that vehemently loathe some Porsche grey interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike964_61 View Post
Always good to live with the car for little while before you make any major changes.
Amen to that! True of many things, not just cars.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 10-25-2018, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
My 82 was delivered with a champagne beige carpets and interior with chocolate brown dash and door trim. To me it was a bit too country club and spoke of tasseled loafers rather than railing through the twisties. I have had two black interiors and found them purposeful but also hot and a bit boring. So I swapped out the carpet to brown and dyed the door panels and seats cork. I know for some it’s swapping one devil for another but getting rid of light carpet alone was a huge improvement. The contrast is not boring and not too country club. And the center console and rear seat backs were ditched.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness

Last edited by RSBob; 10-25-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Black seats, black dash, black gauges, black headliner, black carpet, black knobs switches and handles. After dark I'm driving by braille. Take a passenger with you and they can't see well enough to open their own door. Even during the day in a dim garage if I use a light to find something under the dash or the seats, all that black just sucks up the light as if it wasn't even turned on.

Black does look nice on first impression, but I'm so over it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Well, I drive a 72 911, and everything is black inside and I guess I've just grown used to that.

What I've heard here is that perhaps I would end up liking the other interiors - I will keep that in mind.

And sorry to diss anyone with a red or white Porsche. For the record, my 72 is Light Ivory - and I love it!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-25-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Light ivory with green interior is really stunning
Old 10-25-2018, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Essentialist

I did black with grey cloth insets on the seats in a white car. At the time (1984) I was giving homage to each of my 3 kitties. Now that I am restoring it again...and have only one old kitty, I'm wrestling with what to go to. My dad's got black leather in a cab. It gets hot.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: