Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Garage

Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Part of the feel of owning a classic car, is having the classic car feel. The feel, smell and sound are part of the enjoyment. Dropping an electric motor removes most of the what the experience should be. Yes, it will be fast but no different than owning a modern electric car and any real enthusiast knows that fun should not be based on speed alone. Plenty of fast boring cars for sale. It's an interesting concept into future thinking but one that imo most on this site will pass on.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
^^^^Agree^^^^.
Isnít this the reason we are on the forum. For the love of these air cooled marvels.

The whole thing reminds of back in the day when my buddies and I had to many beers. Start eyeballing a V8 in the corner and looking at a Vega or Pinto.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

A video of this thing launching would be awesome!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I've driven a Tesla and they're junk. Soulless appliances with wheels. To do this to a 911 and in that regard the E-Type is ridiculous. These cars bring you back to a time and place. A fast refrigerator with a big screen and wheels does not bring you back to a time and place.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
A few months back we were introduced to Lee and Dylan Coleman, a father/son team that founded Streetfighter LA, one of the few US based wide body kit producers who are globally known for their CAD/digitally designed product, aggressive design aesthetic, and high-quality parts and accessories.
If these guys are producing their own high quality body kits, I don't get why they had RWB build the car??
Why would you screw extension to a perfectly painted wide body shell?

I salute the exercise but few things don't make sense, well, it's a SEMA car...
1969 911T rust bucket
1966 911 Buffum college car (1/2 owned)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Somehow great!
I embrace everything that is new to our 911's and what meets as much "taste" left as I can cope with, haha.

Does anyone know how much the E-unit weighs (incl. transmission and carrier plate)?

According to the few pictures though, I'd 've liked a little more accuracy in the pre work (blasted underbody, masking off the steering column and the strut tower mounts prior paint...).
And the Burberry-seats are too much, imho an other tartan may be "better"(?).

https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

I love it and look forward to more information on the build. What would the world be if all 911's looked like they belonged in a concurs at a PCA event? I am biased though (aren't we all), I grew up loving 935 race cars and think all 911's look better wide.

SEMA is a show for aftermarket manufacturers, the wilder it is, the more eyes will notice it.

What would have been really cool is if it had been built on a 964 4wd chassis using the Porsche motor in the rear and the tesla motor driving the front wheels
Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I am not a hater of great engineering........and this certainly is.

But........

I would have been more impressed with a 5.0 Boxer engine.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesch View Post
If these guys are producing their own high quality body kits, I don't get why they had RWB build the car??
Why would you screw extension to a perfectly painted wide body shell?

I salute the exercise but few things don't make sense, well, it's a SEMA car...
I think it simply draws more attention being an RWB car, but I believe a "Tesla powered 911" would have been a better story. It seems like there's a new RWB being built weekly. I think he's at nearly 100 vehicles now.

I didn't make it out of our booth much at SEMA and missed seeing the car. Looks pretty cool and I had no idea it was Tesla powered until SEMA. I like how they kept that under wraps. My gripe with the RWB cars is Nakai never addresses the motor but Streetfighter had that covered

kudos.

Last edited by Ryan H; 11-08-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone1209 View Post
These cars bring you back to a time and place.
^
I did not read everyone's comment on this thread......... But I feel a kindred spirit toward Tbone.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
According to the few pictures though, I'd 've liked a little more accuracy in the pre work (blasted underbody, masking off the steering column and the strut tower mounts prior paint...).
I feel you Flojo. I guess the difference between building a show car for Sema and building a customer car, like a Singer is down to caring about the details people see vs vs caring about ALL the details, those the customer sees, and those they may never even know about.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Fi_Guy View Post
I feel you Flojo. I guess the difference between building a show car for Sema and building a customer car
Everybody does it a little different. We went with the restoration approach and tried to improve what truly needs improved.

The Road To SEMA Begins At Sleepers Speed Shop - Speedhunters

Last edited by Ryan H; 11-08-2018 at 09:59 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

I love the passion this group shows for our cars. For me the interesting thing around the electric conversion is I sort of for-see in the not to distant future (20-30 years tops) that it's likely internal combustion engines will not be legal for street use, as two strokes are not longer legal now. In that event I'd still love to be able to enjoy my vintage car and not just have it sit in the garage.

I have a Tesla Model S as well and not even a P model, and it's still insane, faster than my 911 and as quick as my 981s. Does it stir my soul like downshifting either of those cars for a fun corner, no, but it's a competent and enjoyable car, and when stuck in traffic it sure is nice to know I'm not burning hydro-carbons, and you know what letting it drive itself in gridlock is pretty awesome. I don't care what you're driving nothing makes 40 minutes to drive 5 miles fun.

I'd love a 981 with tesla power in it, not the new hypercar roadster they're building but something more affordable, with that sort of 4.5-5 second 0-60 seems like a great daily driver.
enjoyed and passed along:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
I have total respect for that green car Ryan. I should have been clear my comment was in response to Flojo's about the white car in question... not all show cars or all Sema builds.

I have much respect for the engineering and work that went into the white car. It's just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Everybody does it a little different. We went with the restoration approach and tried to improve what truly needs improved.

The Road To SEMA Begins At Sleepers Speed Shop - Speedhunters
Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
I like it ! We all know mr.rwb doesnt spend a million hours on his builds and this one is no different. But I wouldnt mind owning an electric vehicle. As for the purists lets not forget old Ferdinand's first cars were electric and hybrids. Im sure he would approve
Old 11-08-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Incredible waste of money. Why would I drive a Porsche or any sports car for that matter with an electric motor?!? Might as well play video games. Never, ever, as blood flows through my veins. It is a sacrilege
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Location: 50% Lewes, Sussex UK: 50% Tourtour, Provence, France
Garage
I hope there is a nice big heavy battery pack in the front to correct the weight balance. As the owner of a Panamera 4 e-Hybrid, I know how much the weight (over 200kg) of the battery pack behind the rear axle affects the handling. I have no objections on "purity of air cooled cars" basis, as there are still plenty of these around and it looks like a very throughly engineered project. I am not convinced by the "drug dealer" wheels, which look totally out of keeping. I am still running my 1977 Group B 3.3L 911 tarmac rally car on 15" wheels, notwithstanding the difficulty in getting road legal tyres to fit the 10" wide rears, because they not only look right, they are FIA mandated for a non-turbo '77 car.
Wilson
Old 11-10-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Can you post more photos of the drive unit installation, rear suspension and axles, and battery location? What was installed in place of the gas tank?
Otherwise this thread should be in the paint and bodywork forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
I saw this at SEMA and have mix feelings about it. I love the execution, engineering and thought process that went into this build but at the same time, it kind of defeats the purpose of owning a Porsche...you lose the sound and feel of the engine. But at the end of the day, if the owner is happy with his project...that's all that matters. I would love to see a video clip of the car being driven...I was a little disappointed seeing it being pushed out of the parking space at SEMA.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: