Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 Cab to Targa

So it seems to me that Cabs seems to sell for a lot less than other 964 iterations, is it foolish that one could think that they could buy a Cab and convert it to a Targa at a reasonable cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I haven't followed the 964 market recently, but aren't cabs usually more expensive than targas? Aren't targas usually the least desirable body style?

It might not be just a matter of welding on a targa bar and adding on that heavy rear glass. What about door window frames and door glass?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilnj View Post
So it seems to me that Cabs seems to sell for a lot less than other 964 iterations, is it foolish that one could think that they could buy a Cab and convert it to a Targa at a reasonable cost?

Haven't really come across these conversions before; not to say that it can't be done - usually it's targa to cab.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Itís more of availability, seems like targaís are much rarer.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Anything can be done with enough money, but I doubt that the difference in value would ever come close to the cost of the conversion.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 11-01-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

I re targa'd a cab;d targa... I feel like I'm the only one that has done it! haha!
After doing it, I have to say it wasn't that daunting....
Old 11-01-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Why make it a targa, why not a cab to coupe conversion. Fewer parts needed = cheaper to do?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It depends on a few factors, here are my somewhat potentially incoherent thoughts:

1. How much work you do your self: save on labor costs
2. How fast you can do it: can you get it done before the market shifts
3. Can you do quality (almost factory) work: if your intent is to sell it for some profit or have a car that is "more valuable" is the work going to be good enough that the end result is a satisfactory targa.

Frankly all these conversions flying around seem fairly so/so considering the full spectrum of them. Granted the Singers are pretty sweet but keep in mind for every singer there are likely a dozen chop jobs. In the end of the day most Porsches are an $[XX,XXX] car. In other words, to have a nice, drive-able, good order, clean example its going to cost about the same if you buy it up front or buy a resto-job and do the work. So a cab purchase + targa swap may in the end be about the cost of a targa outright. Keep in mind you will need to source a targa bar, the rear glass (one of the pricer pieces), a targa top, and all the related hardware etc. You will also need to pull the cab top which you might be able to sell to re-coupe some costs but that requires someone looking to buy it. You get the picture.

I'd say keep it as is, drive it, have some fun, and if you want a targa, buy a targa. When I bought my 78 SC Targa in 2010 the market was out of the bottom of them and they were worth almost nothing. The market has slowly heated up as the 70's cars are getting popular and it no longer matters which one you have so long as its air cooled. Same for the cabs, once seen as leaky and problematic people just want to get into a classic 911 now.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
I haven't followed the 964 market recently, but aren't cabs usually more expensive than targas? Aren't targas usually the least desirable body style?

It might not be just a matter of welding on a targa bar and adding on that heavy rear glass. What about door window frames and door glass?
Look at production numbers. They made a lower percentage of 964 targas relative to coupes than any other generation.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Not a good idea who wants a re-Targa. And yes agree with Matt they are pretty rare but for a reason they did not sell well. Maybe as an investment but only original.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Jon Bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMetalSurgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Colangelo View Post
It depends on a few factors, here are my somewhat potentially incoherent thoughts:

1. How much work you do your self: save on labor costs
2. How fast you can do it: can you get it done before the market shifts
3. Can you do quality (almost factory) work: if your intent is to sell it for some profit or have a car that is "more valuable" is the work going to be good enough that the end result is a satisfactory targa.

Frankly all these conversions flying around seem fairly so/so considering the full spectrum of them. Granted the Singers are pretty sweet but keep in mind for every singer there are likely a dozen chop jobs. In the end of the day most Porsches are an $[XX,XXX] car. In other words, to have a nice, drive-able, good order, clean example its going to cost about the same if you buy it up front or buy a resto-job and do the work. So a cab purchase + targa swap may in the end be about the cost of a targa outright. Keep in mind you will need to source a targa bar, the rear glass (one of the pricer pieces), a targa top, and all the related hardware etc. You will also need to pull the cab top which you might be able to sell to re-coupe some costs but that requires someone looking to buy it. You get the picture.

I'd say keep it as is, drive it, have some fun, and if you want a targa, buy a targa. When I bought my 78 SC Targa in 2010 the market was out of the bottom of them and they were worth almost nothing. The market has slowly heated up as the 70's cars are getting popular and it no longer matters which one you have so long as its air cooled. Same for the cabs, once seen as leaky and problematic people just want to get into a classic 911 now.
makes sense to me
Old 11-06-2018, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed metal View Post
I re targa'd a cab;d targa... I feel like I'm the only one that has done it! haha!
After doing it, I have to say it wasn't that daunting....

was that the one in Seattle or where ever?
yeah, i think that was a real cool one. search his thread.

Last edited by rbogh901; 11-06-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Former Options Trader !!!

BTW... I just read a long thread on Rennlist about the D Moris hard top for the 964 cab. Pretty impressive piece.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
As trader220 said try to source a hardtop for a 964 cab. Easily reversible ��
Here's one not cheap, but remember reversible. https://werks911.com/products/body-components-removable-hardtop-for-3-dot-2-cabriolet-fiberglass-1987-89
Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

A conversion is always worth less than the real thing.

But... If you really want to do a 964 Cab conversion; turn it into a super gorgeous 964 Speedster.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: