Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

H4 headlight adjustment screw

I swear nothing comes easy. I disassembled the headlight and sent the rings with the adjustment screw still on the ring to get painted. Well he painted the screws and I bent one of the screws trying to just "screw off" the paint. Can you buy just the adjustment screws? I am having a tough time finding them.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I should have one, I will check tomorrow

Lorne M.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 11-08-2018, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I make the 65mm version, and also just got the mounting screw back in stock. If it's the longer one, hopefully someone here will be able to help you. Note that the longer one was superseded using a zig zag shaped piece of steel that was threaded on one end, with a "point" on the other, it then utilizes the 65mm screw. I don't sell that zigzag piece of steel, sorry.

E
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I actually have three, one new one and two older ones

please email me for a picture.

Lorne M.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thx so much guys, email sent
Old 11-09-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
I make the 65mm version, and also just got the mounting screw back in stock. If it's the longer one, hopefully someone here will be able to help you. Note that the longer one was superseded using a zig zag shaped piece of steel that was threaded on one end, with a "point" on the other, it then utilizes the 65mm screw. I don't sell that zigzag piece of steel, sorry.

E
I tried to DM but got an error saying you reached your quota on DMs or something. Anyways Lorne has only the short retaining screws I think. I need the longer screws that are used to adjust the headlights up/down left/right. Do you have those? I’m praying my “zig zag” piece is still ok.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
I tried to DM but got an error saying you reached your quota on DMs or something. Anyways Lorne has only the short retaining screws I think. I need the longer screws that are used to adjust the headlights up/down left/right. Do you have those? I’m praying my “zig zag” piece is still ok.
Hi,
Sorry, some room just cleared.

No, I don't make the longer screw. You can use Lorne's shorter screw as they are also 65mm and it will mate up with your zigzag piece and those 2 combined match the length of the earlier "long" screw.

Note that the longer screw is about 100mm long, and it's not carried by anyone including all of the specialty screw houses.

Sierra Madre used the have a "kit" that included the zigzag piece, but I'm not sure if they do any longer. The only issue with the SM parts were that the head of the screw was flat head and looked like crap (imho), instead of being slightly domed. It was just an off the shelf machine screw.

Sorry, I'm out of the office so I can't send pics.

E
Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Pics would help. I’m out of town until Monday so I can’t post any until then. Perhaps Lorne can chime in but the pics he sent me looked like the screw used to hold the headlight onto the fender. The screw at the bottom of the headlight. These would be too short to connect to the “zig zag” piece (I think we are talking about the same piece when I say “zig zag”)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

here some pics of the adjusting screws I think

The pictures are borrowed from Pelican members

Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Belmetric has them
M4 x 0.7 x 60mm

https://www.belmetric.com/4mm-oval-head-screws-c-10_1165_1489_1267/msoval4x60ss-oval-phillips-stainless-p-11958.html

Last edited by donporfi; 11-10-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Here some pictures

Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

thats it exactly! Thanks! How do I know the thread is correct?
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I noticed that on E bay that you can still buy the long machine screws and brackets with headlight retainers so someone is still making the parts.

Last year I wanted to rebuild my H4's and found the rubber bushings and brackets were available on EBay France and Germany but I can't find the sites, I thought that I had bookmarked them.

Lorne M.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think the thread pitch is correct 0.7 .
In the Belmetric site it reads "A common use for this screw is European and foreign headlight bezels."

I found a piece of rubber vacuum hose (7mm diam. the hole is 2mm} that I used for the bushings when I restored my headlights.

Last edited by donporfi; 11-11-2018 at 07:52 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: