Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Manual antenna replacement

Do I need to remove the left fender of my '79 to replace the manual antenna? Looks that way

Jason
Old 11-09-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
cycling has-been

My euro delivered '76 912E required the removal of the driver's door.
I tried knocking out the pins so I wouldn't mess up the hinge bolt paint, but that didn't work out - those pins are in there.
I think the euro delivered all had the antennae on the drivers side - USA delivered had them on the passenger side.
Bill K
Old 11-09-2018, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I was able to extract the manual antenna from my car without taking the door or fender off.

Take the top nuts off and then there is one on the inside that can be reached via the gap when the door is open. With patience, you can pull the whole thing out the gap.

I think there are more details in my build thread.

Edit, not many details but here is what I said at the time:

"I removed the nut and grommet at the outside. I used a long screwdriver to loosen the bolt at the bottom bracket (going in through the door gap). I fed the antenna wire through the body by the drivers kick panel so it was loose. I then pushed the antenna down into the fender and then carefully angled it so that it could be slid out of the gap between the door and the fender. "

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 11-09-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
On the early cars the manual antennas were mounted on the drivers side.

It depends on the antenna. Some will fit through the door jam and others will need the door to be removed. Door removal on these cars is not for the faint of heart. Some of the hinge pins are pressed in and some come out fairly easily. I use a long wood dowel to knock my hinge pins out. If your pins are pressed in, I would just unscrew the hinge from the body. Just don't loose the shims. You could mark the location of the hinges. But it really is not that big of a deal to re-position the door, IMO.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: