Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1 View Post
According to the Car and Driver magazine review of the US-spec 911SC in the Aug 1980 issue: 130 mph.

Maximum speed in each gear:
1 - 37 mph
2 - 65 mph
3 - 94 mph
4 - 118 mph
5 - 130 mph

By comparison, in a C/D Feb '84 article, the 1984 US-spec 911 Carrera speed in each gear is given as:
1 - 37 mph
2 - 66 mph
3 - 93 mph
4 - 117 mph
5 - 149 mph
Quote:
Car and Driver magazine review of the US-spec 911SC in the Aug 1980 issue: 130 mph.
max revs used in 5th was 6000

Quote:
C/D Feb '84 article, the 1984 US-spec 911 Carrera
max revs was 6300
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lacey, WA. USA
Posts: 20,969
As I say, my car 'feels' like it's got the power to reach 6300 to 6800 in fifth gear. Here are some other facts and perceptions:

My engine is, I think, the 930/10. It came from an '83 SC and has been freshened, using the stock 9.3:1 pistons. torquey. 20/21 cams and small diameter intake runners. SSI heat exchangers, two in two out Triad final exhaust.

I recently had the Bilstein shocks and strut inserts revalved for the upgraded torsion bars (22/29, I think) and Rebel Racing breathed on the struts themselves. Conti Extreme Sport tires, which I like very much. The car has the factory chin spoiler and aftermarket fiberglass Carrera-style tail. This car gets to 110 mph in a hurry and feels perfectly planted at that speed.
__________________
Man of Carbon Fiber (stronger than steel)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
RDM RDM is offline
Coram Deo
 
RDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ramstein, Germany
Posts: 1,337
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
I had mine up around 5500 rpm and it was about all it could do. Wish I knew how fast it was but only 85mph spedo. It felt very fast. We did 135 in my brothers gti on the same stretch and it felt nowhere near as fast. Cant imagine ill ever try that again it was sketchy
It was twice as fast as 2750, whatever that is.

Definitely sketchy above 110 or so. The front lip makes a huge difference at those speeds.
__________________
Dru
1980 911SC Targa • Petrol Blue Metallic • Cork special leather • Sport Seats • Limited Slip • 964 Cams • SSIs • Rennshifter
1990 Mercedes 250D Opawagen • 2002 E270 T CDI Familienwagen
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,929
Garage
Quote:
My engine is, I think, the 930/10. It came from an '83 SC and has been freshened, using the stock 9.3:1 pistons. torquey. 20/21 cams and small diameter intake runners. SSI heat exchangers, two in two out Triad final exhaust.

The engine in my SC was similar, Euro spec with SSI, so the power is adequate to get there. I had no problem hitting redline in 5th on many occasions. The actual final speed of course depends on tire height and trans gearing.
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
As I say, my car 'feels' like it's got the power to reach 6300 to 6800 in fifth gear. Here are some other facts and perceptions:

My engine is, I think, the 930/10. It came from an '83 SC and has been freshened, using the stock 9.3:1 pistons. torquey. 20/21 cams and small diameter intake runners. SSI heat exchangers, two in two out Triad final exhaust.

I recently had the Bilstein shocks and strut inserts revalved for the upgraded torsion bars (22/29, I think) and Rebel Racing breathed on the struts themselves. Conti Extreme Sport tires, which I like very much. The car has the factory chin spoiler and aftermarket fiberglass Carrera-style tail. This car gets to 110 mph in a hurry and feels perfectly planted at that speed.
US '83 SC would be a 930/16, 9.3, 180hp/189lbft, hard to say what it is now w/ the mods but probably ~+10-15hp
RoW had the 930/10, 9.8, 204hp/190lbft
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-11-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lacey, WA. USA
Posts: 20,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
US '83 SC would be a 930/16, 9.3, 180hp/189lbft, hard to say what it is now w/ the mods but probably ~+10-15hp
RoW had the 930/10, 9.8, 204hp/190lbft
On a chassis dyno, it made 186 horsepower, and 186 lb/ft of torque, at the wheels. It's pretty healthy.
__________________
Man of Carbon Fiber (stronger than steel)
Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
On a chassis dyno, it made 186 horsepower, and 186 lb/ft of torque, at the wheels. It's pretty healthy.
so that's 204 - 212 hp at the flywheel which is what the factory reports
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lacey, WA. USA
Posts: 20,969
I think the factory says the engine makes 185 or something. Yes, mine is in the neighborhood of 205-ish. The heads and cylinder tops were flycut during the rebuild, and I think the copper base gaskets I used were, stock rather than thicker. Net effect is that my CR is probably north of 9.3:1 now. Timing is advanced about 5-7 degrees compared to stock, and this particular engine does not knock. I'd rather have a 3.8RSR engine, but am happy with this 3.0
__________________
Man of Carbon Fiber (stronger than steel)
Old 11-11-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
I've had my SC up to 7,000 rpms in 4th gear which should be 140 or thereabouts. Of course, the engine is a 3.3SS with big port heads, cams, etc! There was more but I really wanted to keep my license!
If you’re doing 140 you’re deep in licence nullification territory. Might as well find the top of already committed.

But seriously people - take it to the track. If the straight is not long enough, find a better entry speed to the last turn. Or go to an airport day.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio
 
Bob Kontak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 15,382
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
The heads and cylinder tops were flycut during the rebuild, and I think the copper base gaskets I used were, stock rather than thicker. Net effect is that my CR is probably north of 9.3:1 now.
FWIW, my 81 heads were done by EBS in the late 90's. -0.006 was stamped on each head. 930/16.

I did some calculating using the cylinder volume formula and it spit out 9.5:1 vs. 9.3:1.

Posted my findings here and it was validated.

Stock gasket kit. It ain't much but has to help a smidgen.
__________________
1981 911SC Targa
Old 11-11-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
You guys with 915 trans that can't do 150 are most likely looking at a tired motor.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio
 
Bob Kontak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 15,382
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80targa36 View Post
You guys with 915 trans that can't do 150 are most likely looking at a tired motor.
I don't think an unmolested US spec SC will hit a genuine 150mph. The early 3.2's stand a much better chance with 20+ HP.
__________________
1981 911SC Targa

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 11-11-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
 
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Here are the actual acceleration curves for a friend '78 SC, The motor was blueprinted and runs headers, tires are 275/35 x15, aero is SC-lip + whale, car is lowered, rear wheel hp from dyno 191.4, top speed is 142mph@6750


__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 11-11-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy
 
Canada Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 4,205
I imagine he would have been only limited by gearing with a tire that's about 23" dimeter. Two inches less makes quite a difference. Or so my last girl friend told me...
__________________
Kevin

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
I imagine he would have been only limited by gearing with a tire that's about 23" dimeter. Two inches less makes quite a difference. Or so my last girl friend told me...
You are correct as to the effect but a 245/45 x16 would only provide a little more top end, 145@6500 aero limited, 225/50 x16 would be 146@6750 again aero limited
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 578
Garage
142 mph if pushed off the ramp of a C-17 at 20 K. Just kidding, my '83 has seen 105 and that's all, folks.
__________________
Don Newton
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night,” George Orwell wrote, “only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
Old 11-11-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Eva
 
911SauCy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 4,178
Garage
I've been to about 115 with a lot left...

I'm sure wheel/tire combinations would cause a considerable difference in top speed application to application. My last w/t setup was 17" euromeisters with 255/40 rears. Current is 16" BBS with 245/45 rears... This has made a very notable difference in highway speed cruising RPM. I was about 72mph at 3k, not it's about 68...

Probably going to upsize again because that small difference sure makes the car feel old when trying to keep up w modern traffic
__________________
'78 SC Targa ~Eva~

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mt. Washington/Los Angeles
Posts: 1,216
Garage
I had my mechanic install a 7:31 R&P when I rebuilt my 915, so that I could only go as fast as 120. That's all I need for back stretch at Willow. Wouldn't want to go any faster on Freeway. To old for that!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lacey, WA. USA
Posts: 20,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 SLANT View Post
I had my mechanic install a 7:31 R&P when I rebuilt my 915, so that I could only go as fast as 120. That's all I need for back stretch at Willow. Wouldn't want to go any faster on Freeway. To old for that!
Hoping the gurus (Dr. Verburg and others) will revisit this thread, I have a new question. 7:31 R&P. Like Slant, I don't have a need to drive at 150 mph. A 7:31 R&P would tighten the gear ratios and (I assume) give stronger acceleration. Moreover, it would allow 65 mph cruising at engine speeds above 2800 rpm. There is exhaust drone in my car at engine speeds below 3000 rpm, and this would fix that. Speak to me, oh wise ones, about 7:31.
__________________
Man of Carbon Fiber (stronger than steel)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,470
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Hoping the gurus (Dr. Verburg and others) will revisit this thread, I have a new question. 7:31 R&P. Like Slant, I don't have a need to drive at 150 mph. A 7:31 R&P would tighten the gear ratios and (I assume) give stronger acceleration. Moreover, it would allow 65 mph cruising at engine speeds above 2800 rpm. There is exhaust drone in my car at engine speeds below 3000 rpm, and this would fix that. Speak to me, oh wise ones, about 7:31.
I wouldn't
Here's what my friends above 3.0 SC would look like w/ 7:31 cwp


59mph @3000 in 5th
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:53 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.