Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My backdate journey - 911 “Sport Tourer”

So, I thought I would share with this community my almost 3 year long journey of building a 911 “hot rod” that could be used on a regular if not daily basis. I have owned an 80’s Ferrari, plenty of old muscle cars, as well as a 996 track/street car so I have enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous. This has been my first foray into the air cooled Rennsport, RGruppe, Outlaw, Singer universe.

I will start with the end in mind, namely something like this (though more modest given my budget):

First up was finding a donor car...
Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Looking forward to it!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Following along....
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Donor car

Since I live in the southeast (NC) I wanted to find a donor car that would offer at least some measure of A/C capability so I limited my search to 87/88 911’s. While certainly not up to modern standards, the A/C improvements and larger vents starting in those years should provide a bit more cooling power for the hot summers.

During 2016 I spent more than 6 months looking on line and in person I came across an ‘87 911 in SoCal with plenty of miles (200k+) but no apparent damage and no rust. The basics seemed to be in place to work from and I liked the price (~$12k.) Call me crazy but I felt like we could make this work as the backbone of a hot rod.

She looked like a barn find all dirty and unloved but the basics were there. After a wash the blue paint looked better than expected. (I love blue Porsche’s and Ferraris, so this was a big plus.)

Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The Plan

Remove the impact bumpers and convert to a “long hood” 70’s 911 using Getty panels. I debated about the rear. I may be one of the few but I kinda liked the early whale tails. I also liked the duck tails and have come to appreciate the clean subtle lines of the standard 911. (Singer’s version is beautiful in my opinion though I won’t be going for the wide body conversion.) Ultimately I decided on the duck tail knowing that I can change it down the road if I want.

I wanted an upgraded motor though not a monster. This car is not intended for the track but long comfortable road trips and shorter blasts along some back roads. In addition to more HP I wanted a tighter but tolerable suspension. I will stay with the Fuchs but go for a different finish.

The interior will be gutted (hell, it almost is already!) and redone. Rear seat delete and maybe a leather luggage shelf in its place. Classic sport seats for the long drives and also a center console delete (though I need to keep the controls for A/C etc.). Install a Retro radio with Bluetooth as I hope you can actually listen to some music when cruising.

So the demo begins ...
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The body

Thankfully, no horror stories or surprises as panels came off. In retrospect I should have looked more seriously into salvaged steel body panels but I just assumed the prices would be extreme. The Getty panels seem to be accurate and installed without any serious problems.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, that cleaned up nicely! Love the shot of your goal picture:<)
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP 1982 Honda 500 XLS
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Tired

The dash is worn. The instruments need a rebuild. The exhaust was tired. And the engine was tired.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for sharing! That a really nice solid starting point for a backdate. Especially for $12k what a deal!

I did the same as you, working on the car for a while before I started a build thread. Otherwise it would started in 2013 and is still ongoing. You said it's a 3 year journey so assuming it gets out of hand in another post or two. Mine did

Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Following.... great starting point.......brings back some fond memories of the journey.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Following......brings back some fond memories of the journey.
^
I am definitely following. Was underneath mine tweeking some things last night and certain things were fond memories others needed serious verbal abuse. Just saying.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Long hood panels

Test fitting the Getty hood and fenders.

So far, so good.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Paint and chrome trim

First look after paint. Not great pictures but you get the idea.

Ducktail in place and all. The trim has been blasted and plated.

Waiting on the rear quarter trim and glass. Also replaced the flag mirrors with period correct mirrors.

Need new headlights and chrome rings. And have to work on the long hood release.

Tucked away until some mechanic time becomes available. Starting to look like a barn find all over again. Am I making progress here or going backwards?!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Johnny - what does your hot rod look like today? You took it all the way down to bare metal so I assume she has been cleaned up, smoothed out, and is looking beautiful!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rockers or Not?

Need to decide what it will take to leave the rocker panels off. Paint? Welding?

Also dropped in an old rear deck grill. I kinda like the patina.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchip View Post
Johnny - what does your hot rod look like today? You took it all the way down to bare metal so I assume she has been cleaned up, smoothed out, and is looking beautiful!
You already passed me!!! Mine is maybe a little more OCD..... And SLOW.

Check the thread at:

Project Heavy Metal - an all steel classic, remastered
Old 11-15-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Not OCD. Precise.

Beautiful!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Are you going with the stock latch panel for the frunk or backdating it as well? Fitment of those panels look great.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Suspension

OK, time to focus on handling and stance. I want the car to sit lower but still be comfortable for road trips. I have owned a street/track 911 and the suspension was set up for the track which was fantastic there but somewhat punishing on the road. This car will not see any serious track time so it is all about a “sport tourer” setup. Also since this is a regular driver I am not doing a complete restoration of the suspension, only an update. So:
- Replace wheel bearings and seals
- Rebuild brake calipers (should I look at Boxster brakes at some point?)
- New brake master cylinder
- New ball joints
- New turbo tie rods

Bilstein heavy duty sport shocks. Also, I want the stance to be closer to Euro specs so the car will ride lower.

New rotors and install SS brake lines.

I will snap a pic of the car and stance when I get a chance. Initial look is good.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
Are you going with the stock latch panel for the frunk or backdating it as well? Fitment of those panels look great.
Do you mean the front trunk? I don’t want the tie downs which look great on a more aggressive hot rod in my mind. Instead I want the clean look of just the hood. Since I went with the Getty hood I think I have to “rig” an extended hood release like this:

Haven’t done this yet but it is on my list.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: