Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Thanks guys Mike and Kevin, I get the gist of what you are saying and its helpful for me to get started and plan the work while "I'm in there"

I'm not the copy cat kind of guy, but I don't re-invent the wheel every time either.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
This week I finally got under the car to finish the gusset plates for the rear coilovers.
This threaded started by fabricating the typical coilover bracing visible in the engine compartment, but there are vulnerable places under the car where the cross member attaches to the frame rail.

Here are the plates I added to the under side:

While I was down there, I added the plates between the torsion tube and seat pans as discussed in this thread too.

And I boxed in the weak anti roll bar mounts and also ties them into the torsion tube.

In summary these are the chassis upgrades I completed:
1) Seam Welded Frunk Area
2) Rear Coilover Gussets (engine bay)
3) Front Shock Tower Top Plates
4) Front Strut Brace Brackets
5) Front ARB Strengthening Plates
6) Rear Coilover X-member Under Plates
7) Rear Torsion Tube to Body Plates
8) Rear ARB Boxed in Mounts to Torsion Tube

Did I miss anything? I do plan on a custom rear roll cage.

Here's the link to this weeks video covering 6,7, & 8
Old 02-02-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Nice job once again Tom!

A couple things come to mind:

1. Nice job beefing up the sway bar mounts. Your bracing should definitely prevent the flexing that causes the base to tear away from the mount. Also, keep in mind that sometimes the welded nuts pull through the base. So you might want to plate the bottom to reinforce that area? But since you already stabilized the mount, you may not need to fatten up the base.

2. When you do your custom rear cage design, you might consider touching down some diagonals through the seat pan onto the torsion bar tube. "Easiest" (easier said than done) is to connect the bars to the trailing arm pivot point. I know your plates connecting the torsion bar to the seat pan address this. But we've seen the torsion bar housing crack the sheetmetal around the spring plate bushing area on coilover cars. So anything you can do to support the torsion bar housing is a benefit.

Some choose to plate the area around the outboard end of the torsion bar housing like Elephant's sheetmetal reinforcement kit

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/911/chassis-reinforcement-for-911/#prettyPhoto

But I think if you can get the torsion bar well supported with something really sturdy like cage bars, that's an even bigger benefit?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
I did add these big barrel nuts inside the rear anti roll bar mounts and they are tacked at the top and bottom. I hope these don't come apart.

This idea came from another Pelican member, but I can't remember who, sorry.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
fast eddie
I took the easy way out and just ordered mine from Tarett Engineering
Ed
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Nice. Those nuts aren't pulling out of the mount!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I've never had a nut pull through a rear sway mount. I did have a nut inside a boxed mount break loose. I drilled a hole through the boxing so I could poke at the nut while getting the cap bolt snugged, which has worked OK enough that I've not contemplated opening up, rewelding, and closing back up.

Isn't going to happen here, for sure.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
I've never had a nut pull through a rear sway mount. I did have a nut inside a boxed mount break loose. I drilled a hole through the boxing so I could poke at the nut while getting the cap bolt snugged, which has worked OK enough that I've not contemplated opening up, rewelding, and closing back up.

Isn't going to happen here, for sure.
^
Old 02-09-2019, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: