Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Questions about lock repair, door refresh

Hi all,

This past spring I turned the key in my driver door lock, heard something give, and have not been able to unlock the driver side door from the outside since. I took the panel off to see if I could fix it without removing the window and could not. I determined I was going to have to dig in deeper but didnít want to during the driving season. I can still lock/unlock from the inside, just not using the key on the outside so I've just been leaning across and locking it from the passenger side, then locking the passenger side door from the outside. Apart from being a pain in the butt, it is also embarrassing...

With winter approaching I'm planning to take the door apart and see if I can fix it. I decided as long as I'm doing that, I might as well refresh my doors altogether, and of course I want to draw on the collective Pelican wisdom.

So, hereís what I plan to do, and some questions for you:
  • Disassemble door, remove window, diagnose and repair lock issue.
  • Adjust both windows (moving window and quarter window) - I have the ďsealing of 911Ē books.
  • Should I proactively replace the window switches while I am in there? There are no specific issues with them.
  • The window motors work fine, if somewhat slow. Given how expensive they are I donít plan on proactively replacing them. Is there any specific maintenance I should/could do?
  • Are there things I should clean, grease, not grease, etc. in there? Any experience or suggestions on specific parts or grease, or whatever?
  • Buy replacement door panels and have an upholsterer move the existing leather cover from my disintegrating panels to the new ones.
  • Buy new door speakers, rear speakers, and under seat amp/woofer - suggestions and experience welcome!
  • Upgrade doors with black aluminum lock pins, lock knobs, and door pulls from Rennline, and aluminum door speaker grills from Pelican user @dwerkz.
  • Replace vapor barriers.
  • Anything Iím missing?

Thanks to all in advance for guidance and input! My guess is around Christmas Iíll be back on here asking for help as I dig in!

Todd
Old 11-22-2018, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Essentialist

My 911 is currently getting painted. I sure am interested in "sealing it" as it gets put back together. Would you please let me know about the book you mention?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrenst View Post
My 911 is currently getting painted. I sure am interested in "sealing it" as it gets put back together. Would you please let me know about the book you mention?
Iím out and about right now, but will DM you later.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you can post a photo of the lock I may be able to help as I have fixed lock problems on my car in the past.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Could be just the trigger in the handle assembly.

When you pull the trigger, what happens - can you still insert and turn the key?

The trigger tab that is supposed to push the release rod into the door might just be broken off - it's only pot metal.

Start looking for used handles for sale - the parts from the good one can be swapped into the old one - or have a locksmith do it.

Bill K
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brap

Garage
That seems like the right list. Regrease locks and check felts.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
@JSV798 and @bkreigsr here is the original thread I started earlier in the year. It has a pic of the inside of my door: Help with door lock problem... Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Your lock looks OK from that photo but I wonder if that post/pin on the end of the tumbler arm has sheared off and not moving with the key. I am assuming that the key moves back and forth? You may need to remove the handle (just two nuts as I recall) and check this out, although you may be able to watch what happens as you turn the key now that you have the door card off. I wouldn't think there's any need to strip down the whole door.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV798 View Post
Your lock looks OK from that photo but I wonder if that post/pin on the end of the tumbler arm has sheared off and not moving with the key. I am assuming that the key moves back and forth? You may need to remove the handle (just two nuts as I recall) and check this out, although you may be able to watch what happens as you turn the key now that you have the door card off. I wouldn't think there's any need to strip down the whole door.
Thanks. Actually, that picture was from this past spring. I couldn't find the issue with the door card off. I decided to wait until I'm driving less this winter. I didn't take the handle off so that is a good suggestion. Who knows, maybe if I take the handle off I'll be able to figure it out without taking the window out. I'll give it a try. Cheers!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: