Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
swaybar bushings

Hello all!

I'm in the process of a "full" restomod on the 77 911S, and trying to do reasonable upgrades on those parts that need replacing, as I go. The car is intended to be a bit of a mild hot rod, driver, hopefully some track use.

One of these areas is the sway bar bushings. Have any of you done the upgrade to our hosts urethane bushings, or just going with new OEM style. Are the urethane bushings better, worse, no noticeable difference vs new rubber bushings?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
new rubber bushings are cheap, try a new set of fresh rubber bits and see if there is any noticeable improvement and go from there.

jumping to hard urethane from a tired set of rubber busing seems like a leap and a bound all at once for what sounds like predominantly street car.

check some of the recent swaybar on middie car threads and how the rear sway bar consoles, irrr, mounts get torn under hard use. stiffer bushings in the rear bar could promote that failure by further stressing the body mounts.

I went with stiffer torsion bars front & rear, urethane a-arm/spring plate bushings in my 75 during the suspension rebuild to rely less on the non adjustable sway bars,,, with new rubber bushings...

that all being said, I vote rubber....
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Juanbenae! Not the response I expected, so I suppose that's why the question was asked!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One other upgrade you could consider depending on how far you want to go- swap out your stock sway bars for those from an 85+ Carrera. Mount exactly the same way but you get 22mm front & 21mm rear bars. But as juanbenae said, the rear sway bar mounts- called consoles in Porsche language- have a habit of tearing the sheet metal. Best to reinforce yours first if they are still good. Donít have to go crazy, just have some triangulated pieces welded to the sides and youíre good. Iíve done this on two cars after my first Ď86 ripped the console after just 2 years of ownership back in Ď88. That car today is a dedicated race car in the hands of the 4th owner since I sold it and has never had a problem. I did the same to my current car back in 2008 when I bought it and after several years of dedicated track use everything is still perfect
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 11-25-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hereís a pic of what Iím talking about.

'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 11-25-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I appreciate the guidance. Right now, the front is up on jack stands. This car was missing a fuel pump, and the hoses were toast, so I pulled the cover and sway bar to get at those parts for replacement. Trying to get the engine to fire. Hence the bushings on the front.

I'm told by the Mrs. that I have a bad case of ADD, so I do my best to limit how much I tear down at once. With a car that needs everything from interior to seals to paint to engine rebuild (hope not), limiting the teardown is a tall task.

So, i haven't gotten to the rear sway bar yet, but I have been reading about the mounts failing regularly, and appreciate the advice! Hopefully those mounts and sheet metal are still together.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: