Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
For my 82, which came with thick flange stock items, Iím going with thin flange SSIís because a) they were affordable and b) I should have replaced my exhaust studs when heads were rebuilt but didnít see it at the time. Relevant here because the studs are somewhat eroded and a hair to thin at their tips to torque 8mm nuts. But where they were once covered by the thick flanges, they are ok.

I bought stainless O2 sensor bungs from SUMMIT, which my sonís friend TIGíd in for me. John

Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
For my 82, which came with thick flange stock items, Iím going with thin flange SSIís because a) they were affordable and b) I should have replaced my exhaust studs when heads were rebuilt but didnít see it at the time. Relevant here because the studs are somewhat eroded and a hair to thin at their tips to torque 8mm nuts. But where they were once covered by the thick flanges, they are ok.

I bought stainless O2 sensor bungs from SUMMIT, which my sonís friend TIGíd in for me. John

That O2 Sensor bung is located to read only one 1 of 3 cylinders. Maybe should have installed it further downstream as per factory (which monitors the entire bank).

Sherwood
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Sherwood,
Bloody good point! Stupid me....didn't even see that.
Others....don't make my mistake.....John
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Sherwood,
Bloody good point! Stupid me....didn't even see that.
Others....don't make my mistake.....John
No worries. Threaded plug, another bung and welding is relatively inexpensive. Be aware there's a preferred installation angle.

Sherwood
Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
911T '72

Garage
And it's usually done on the left hand SSI.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter RŲhrl)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
DeRis, I was waiting for someone to fall into my trap about that: I also put one into the left header AND in the right location(!). That will be primary; the right will have a stainless male bung capping it and was just added for future diagnostics AND because I'd bought two fittings. I'd originally marked it for the "correct" location (after the collector)but made my ill-fated relocation to avoid the oil cooler or something like that. Oh well.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

If you have a thin flange engine, can you replace the studs and put thick flange SSI on?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRRis View Post
And it's usually done on the left hand SSI.
Only because of the factory harness connector.

Otherwise, mount the WB sensor (and it's dedicated harness) on either side. Your preference. Mixture should be the same on both sides, yes?

Sherwood
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
If you have a thin flange engine, can you replace the studs and put thick flange SSI on?
yes
Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
You can also mill down the backside of the flanges on the heat exchangers. There is a thread where someone did that. They also cut off the collars that protrude from the thick flange SSI and goes inside the exhaust ports, I donít think the earlier thin flange engines had reliefs to accept them.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: