Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sunroof delete ?

Our 1970 911 arrived from Utah this week and we have plans to return her to the original colour of Burgundy (24/24) .The thing is neither of us like the sunroof so where thinking of deleting it ,what do you guys think
Thanks Brian
Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I do not know much about sunroofs of that vintage, but certainly later sunroofs add a good deal of weight to the worst possible location on the car. For track cars, removing sunroofs can shave 30# or so.

For non-track cars, sunroofs are a nice feature. Repairing them to operating condition probably takes less effort than removing them.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Mine is a street car. I did it for weight, looks and head room. I love the way the car looks now sans sunroof. It's way less busy withiout the square breaking up the roof line. Looks sleek and purposeful.

The sunroof was like the only electrical accessory on my car. It seemed out of place.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 12-08-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage

Do it if you have the skills or cash. FYI, it is tough to get it right.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post

Do it if you have the skills or cash. FYI, it is tough to get it right.
Nice job,
I just started mine, I used original sunroof panel drilled out spot welds et and butt welded in, however it doesn't look as good as a non sunroof car. I think I'm going to remove it and go with original plan to fabricate one on the wheel add a flange and weld it in. It's a ***** to butt weld 18 to 20 gauge steel you have to be a good tig welder especially if there are any gaps to bridge. I've also learned through pelican that upol I think it's #6 metal/ aluminum filler is the best body filler for the job that is if you need filler.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I just purchased a 76 with the sunroof myself. I don't have a manual. Is there a place to look at one online? I can't seem to find the sunroof control switch.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

plan to do this on my project. what did you use to fill the space?
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
plan to do this on my project. what did you use to fill the space?

Original panel. It was a monster PIA, even with the rotisserie. My body guy and I did it. It was an exercise in "team work".
Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You guys know that a 2018 mustang GT has 460 horsepower. Under 4 second 0-60. Removal of sunroof seems like a ton of work for a little weight savings . Also, at some point we will all sell our cars or somebody will. Original equipment would make it more valuable.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
You guys know that a 2018 mustang GT has 460 horsepower. Under 4 second 0-60. Removal of sunroof seems like a ton of work for a little weight savings . Also, at some point we will all sell our cars or somebody will. Original equipment would make it more valuable.
Nick, there are plenty of cars that outperform the 911 (and the Mustang). I understand your point, but the decision in my case to delete the sunroof was driven partially by the fact the car I started with was already cut up. The sunroof is particularly offending because of where that 35-ish pounds is (highest point on the car) and the fact it's leak prone and a headroom stealer. It's nice mod that will serve me well. Hopefully for a long time. If my heirs, get a few less bucks because of it - I'm still OK with it.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
Ha ha - yep! It would probably be a lot less work, and not cost near as much, to install a turbocharger system, and the comparative performance gain would make the sunroof delete weight savings cry for its mama!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-09-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Ha ha - yep! It would probably be a lot less work, and not cost near as much, to install a turbocharger system, and the comparative performance gain would make the sunroof delete weight savings cry for its mama!!!
Right, like all of the Porsche factory race cars with sunroofs....most P drivers cannot drive a normally aspirated 911 at the limit let alone the early quirky turbo's.

Yapping about max hp misses the point totally... adding lightness and finesse to a fine older 911 is a great challenge.

Rowing thru the gears and getting the max out of that 6 with balance, braking and carrying speed thru corners is what they are about.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Right, like all of the Porsche factory race cars with sunroofs....most P drivers cannot drive a normally aspirated 911 at the limit let alone the early quirky turbo's.

Yapping about max hp misses the point totally...… adding lightness and finesse to a fine older 911 is a great challenge.

Rowing thru the gears and getting the max out of that 6 with balance, braking and carrying speed thru corners is what they are about.
Nope - what a 911/911 ownership is all about is the opportunity and challenge to take an as delivered, anemic, full of compromises engine and build something respectable out of it (it is a nice starting platform, after all) - all the while sitting back and having a good chuckle at those who proclaim the virtues of lightness and finesse over max horsepower.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Nope - what a 911/911 ownership is all about is the opportunity and challenge to take an as delivered, anemic, full of compromises engine and build something respectable out of it (it is a nice starting platform, after all) - all the while sitting back and having a good chuckle at those who proclaim the virtues of lightness and finesse over max horsepower.
You don't know much about 911's or the history that lead there I guess but each to his own.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
It really depends. I removed mine. But it didn't work, my car was not close to original, I need the extra head room, and I never plan on selling.

IMO, if you go through with it there is a lot of work to do. All glass out, welding in a new panel , painting, and a new headliner. Don't even think about gluing in a patch.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
A lot work for that 35#s!!!

And if yu can't do the work yourself a lot of cost!!
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I am not deterred....

78 SC/930 conversion, not stock to begin with and even less when I am done.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Gentlemen, gentlemen. It was never an 'either/or' decision, this weight versus HP thing.

In the beginning, the VERY beginning, of course it was weight savings first. Go to the track and lose, now what do we do? Ah, throw stuff out of the car! But it didn't take long for Porsche (and everybody else for that matter) to realize that reducing weight AND adding HP was a double dipping and trophy winning strategy.

I do agree with Rawknee that to tinker has always been the Porsche way, the racers way, the winning way. But when I can switch my 40 pound battery out for a 3 pound Lithium Ion battery and save 37 pounds, I'd do that WAY before I'd spend all that time and energy removing a sunroof just for weight savings.

But if I did BOTH....well now, there's almost 70 pounds!
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 12-10-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i would not,
I would keep it original or make any mods reversible.
you don't have to open it.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
If you ever take your car to the track and will wear a helmet, that headroom thing is hard to dispute. I have about a half inch in my car (helmet to roof, seat as low as possible without cutting and welding seat supports) so depending on the driver, removal of the sunroof could make all the difference so you can enjoy your car fully. The weight thing is nice of course but that's a numbers game. Sunroof function can be a painful thing to get right.
Red 08 Impreza, wifes car sold
Grey 05 CRV, now is the daughters solution
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: