Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CO2 fire extinguisher?

Before me and my 911 moved to Australia last year, I kept an H3R halotron fire extinguisher in the car for emergencies. I went with the halotron with the understanding that discharging it wouldn't do additional damage to the engine bay and electronics like a dry chemical extinguisher will.

Unfortunately I couldn't ship the extinguisher, and when I got here I discovered that halotron is restricted here and you need a license to have it. So it seems like my next best option would be a CO2 extinguisher if I want to put out an engine bay (I'm imagining fuel-fed) fire without trashing everything in the vicinity, but I don't see many people using those in vehicle applications. Is there a reason for that, or should I go with this plan?

Maybe I'll get a dry chemical bottle as a backup.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

I also thought of getting a CO2 extinguisher for the garage, figuring it wouldn't be messy/corrosive for small fires, and also figuring it should be cheap. Seems that in the US at least, CO2 extinguishers are not cheap at all. Maybe a regulated CO2 emissions thing?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Look in to the Element Fire Extinguishers. Should solve all your problems. Even available thru our host. I just picked up 2 of them.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Here in Norway CO2 is common. All the extinguishers at my business are CO2 for the exact reasons you mention. They are effective and don't ruin electronics.

The extinguisher in my 911 is also CO2, supplied by the same guy who supplies us at work. He's done a training session for my employees where we get to put out a fire, the CO2 does a proper job aimed at the base of the fire (to the extent this is possible in a given situation.)

Fire extinguisher install. Some assembly (and welding) required.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check if HFC 236fa fire extinguishers are available and legal in Australia.
HFC 236fa or FE 36 is supposed to be a clean agent.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

this is the BEST
https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=element+fire+extinguisher

Cheap and efficient
Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donporfi View Post
Check if HFC 236fa fire extinguishers are available and legal in Australia.
HFC 236fa or FE 36 is supposed to be a clean agent.
Unfortunately it's not, everything like that is "scheduled" here and requires a license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Look in to the Element Fire Extinguishers. Should solve all your problems. Even available thru our host. I just picked up 2 of them.
Thanks for bringing these to my attention, I'd never heard of them! You can get them here under the Firestryker brand. I'll consider one of these or a CO2 bottle... or both!

This solution also looks really interesting, and on their "Engine Compartments" page you can even see one installed in an older 911. But given they use an HFC clean agent, I think I'll have the same license issue as with Halotron etc.

Last edited by autojack; 12-13-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autojack View Post
Thanks for bringing these to my attention, I'd never heard of them! You can get them here under the Firestryker brand. I'll consider one of these or a CO2 bottle... or both!
Welcome,.... i'm surprised there wasn't more response to my post. Have you watched the YouTube videos of it in action ? The Jay Leno one is useless except for info on facts about it, but the other two videos of it putting out fires seems pretty amazing.

I have mine laying right next to the drivers seat and the door sill.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: