Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911 enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneredspyder View Post
I saw a Targa that had an original vintage roof rack bolted to the targa bar and clamped to the windshield at the Hilton Head Concours. It was totally awesome. Can you all make that version? Fits with or without the Targa on.

Agreed. A version that uses the targa ski rack mounting holes and the sloped windshield rain gutter channel would be amazing. There are some other pictures of those setups on Pelican like this one:

Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

This rack is gorgeous and seems really thoughtfully designed.

I have a roof rack on my car that I really like, but there's a pretty pronounced whistle at highway speeds. Have you considered wind noise in this design?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great. Shame we would all miss DRT in Miami early Feb with that delivery date. Would be great marketing.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles

Last edited by Duc Hunter; 12-19-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueWhy View Post
I really like your attachment method. Any chance of offering some load bars compatible with common commercially available accessories? Id love to be able to carry a snowboard, powder skis, bike, kayak, rocket box, etc.
Looks like a very nice product. I would also like to see this as well.

And satin black for me.
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 12-19-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Hey guys we listened and we are going with satin black! We just got it back from our powder coater, check it out

Old 12-20-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Subscribed! Nice!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
[QUOTE=Russ at Rennline;10290285]Hey guys we listened and we are going with satin black! We just got it back from our powder coater, check it out

Winner, winner.

Now, some dark ironwood or teak slats or a dark-ish stain and urethane and you got a product!
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

So due to overwhelming interest in a Targa rack we just picked up a 72 Targa to see if a roof rack is possible! Are there any other Targa specific parts you guys are looking for?
Old 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ at Rennline View Post
So due to overwhelming interest in a Targa rack we just picked up a 72 Targa to see if a roof rack is possible! Are there any other Targa specific parts you guys are looking for?
^

Russ will these ship "Some assembly required" to save on shipping cost. Was wondering just in case I decide to refinish the slats to my liking.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadden2 View Post
Agreed. A version that uses the targa ski rack mounting holes and the sloped windshield rain gutter channel would be amazing. There are some other pictures of those setups on Pelican like this one:

That is the rack, primarily a ski rack. However I do not think my 86 has the holes in the Targa bar like this older one. I think Porsche put the holes there for the rack originally. I will look at my car tomorrow. Very pleased that Rensport is looking into the Targa rack. Could use it for fishing poles also.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Could use it for fishing poles also.
^
I appreciate you saying this !!!
Old 12-21-2018, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG81 View Post
^

Russ will these ship "Some assembly required" to save on shipping cost. Was wondering just in case I decide to refinish the slats to my liking.
Yes! These will arrive in a long narrow box, and will require some simple assembly. It should be mentioned that the pictures show a prototype with unfinished wood. The wood will be Oak, stained and lacquered clear, and will look darker than the wood pictured.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Sweet work Rennline.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 12-21-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
911 enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
That is the rack, primarily a ski rack. However I do not think my 86 has the holes in the Targa bar like this older one. I think Porsche put the holes there for the rack originally. I will look at my car tomorrow. Very pleased that Rensport is looking into the Targa rack. Could use it for fishing poles also.

My 86 has the two screw holes on each side of the targa bar covered by plastic caps with a Phillips head pattern in them. They are partially obscured by the body seal.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Can we see a picture with the black roof rack installed on a car like the silver one on page 1?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

man I may need to get one of these

I wanna see one on a G

Last edited by Clark Griswold; 12-21-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadden2 View Post

I'll add another vote for a rack that works with a Targa -- something that you could attach bike, ski, or other mounting accessories to similar to a Thule/Yakima rack.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Targa style rack

I think youd need something sturdier for bikes, etc. on a Targa, but perhaps Rennline could develop adapters to use a Thule or Yakima rack like this.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 12-23-2018, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
nice rack roof rack that is
pricy

does anyone know if this will fit a 911
https://www.ebay.com/p/VW-Beetle-Knock-Down-Roof-Rack-EMPI-15-2012/2288060885?iid=330847704224&chn=ps
Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Although I appreciate Rennline's quality, I simply cannot understand why they feel obligated to put their name/logo on everything they make. I was interested in their roof rack until I saw their name in a conspicuous place for all to see.

By the way, I do think that this is different than having the Porsche emblem on the trunk lid and "Porsche" on the rear reflector; after all the total car is a Porsche. But to also have every component of the car also labeled with its name and logo just produces a hodge podge of names, which are nothing more than shameless advertising. Isn't this what the ricer industry does? Do we really want our beautiful 911's, which were designed with pure Germanic functionality in mind reduced to rolling advertisements? Of course, most of our cars are not Pebble Beach quality, but could you imagine a Pebble Beach car with every component baring its manufacturer's name/logo in an obvious place?

Of course, they Rennline is free to do whatever they want. That is not my point. My point is that such displays turn away many potential customers; and I am one of them.

Does anyone else agree with my reasoning here?

Cordially,
Greg
1979 911 SC Slate Grey (sold, but it irrevocably launched me down the path)

Last edited by gr jetson; 12-29-2018 at 06:25 AM..
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: