Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Pelican Parts Vendor

Rennline Vintage Roof Rack Build Pictures!

Introducing the Rennline Vintage Roof Rack!

Now Taking Pre-orders! Shipping 2/15/2019

Hey everyone! After a few months of hard work, engineering, and revising prototypes, we have finalized the Rennline Vintage Roof Rack. This rack provides a simple yet elegant solution to add some storage while staying true to the timeless style of your classic Porsche 911, 912, or 930. Below are some behind the scenes pictures of the designing, testing, and manufacturing of the rack at our Vermont shop. We though you guys might appreciate some insight into what goes into creating a new product!

In the 50+ years of the 911s existence, never before has there been such a smooth and streamlined roof rack. Constructed from CNC machined 6061 aluminum and finished in your choice of clear anodized or black powder coat, the Rennline Vintage Roof Rack is built to last, providing years of durability. Dave our lead engineer can be seen revising the design below.

Compatible with the Porsche 911, 912, and 930, from 1965 up to 1998, the connecting feet for the Vintage Roof Rack are all 5-axis CNC machined 6061 aluminum that are dipped in rubber for a secure fit that won't scratch or damage your paint.

The vertical slats, made from cut oak strips and curved to follow the form of the roof, provide a solidly rigid base to secure your cargo. Finished in a clear lacquer to protect from the elements, the Rennline Vintage Roof Rack looks right at home atop your Porsche, following the lines, contour and classic styling.

No matter what road you take, whether you're picking up the family Christmas tree in winter, or taking to the waves with your surfboard at the beach, the Rennline Vintage Roof Rack is a smart and stylish way to secure the adventure in your life to the Porsche you drive.

Now Taking Pre-orders! Shipping 2/15/2019

"Guaranteeing every product we offer while providing in-depth and straightforward support is just one way were committed to you, our enthusiast market. Its your passion that allows us to do what we love." -The Rennline Team
Old 12-17-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
These look great!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Would love to see pictures of the black powder coated model. Would also volunteer to use my 911 for said photographs :-)
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Roof rack.........

Will these be available at next years Hershey Swap Meetin April 2019? It would be great if you could make some sort of locking device similar to Thule. But yours is much better looking than anything Ive seen. This is a piece of art.

Tony
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very cool, unfortunately I have a targa. Better start looking for a coupe.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
That’s insanely cool
Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I saw a Targa that had an original vintage roof rack bolted to the targa bar and clamped to the windshield at the Hilton Head Concours. It was totally awesome. Can you all make that version? Fits with or without the Targa on.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Will these be available at next years Hershey Swap Meetin April 2019? It would be great if you could make some sort of locking device similar to Thule. But yours is much better looking than anything Ive seen. This is a piece of art.

Tony

This might actually be a locking device as well as a method of tightening the rain gutter mounting feet.

We used to use some security screws with the heads of the screw that looked like old school domed rivet heads. EXCEPT they weren't round, not exactly. They were slightly oval but with a special driver with a female end the exact same shape, they could be screwed in or out. Even a pair of pliers wouldn't grip the head. And with a reasonable inspection, they looked round with no hint of what they were.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool.........but this why I own a European sport wagon with a roof rack. I put my Christmas tree on that

I also have a chevy pickup for bigger hauling.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post

This might actually be a locking device as well as a method of tightening the rain gutter mounting feet.

We used to use some security screws with the heads of the screw that looked like old school domed rivet heads. EXCEPT they weren't round, not exactly. They were slightly oval but with a special driver with a female end the exact same shape, they could be screwed in or out. Even a pair of pliers wouldn't grip the head. And with a reasonable inspection, they looked round with no hint of what they were.
Personally, I'd like to see that rubber go up another inch. Still to easy to scratch the paint when fiddling with the clamps.

.....Paging Ryans65
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 12-18-2018 at 03:56 AM..
Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Great looking rack !!!! Is that still OK to say in public?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow. I always thought racks (roof) looked better on older cars but you changed that. Speed holes in the rear gussets are a nice touch and, IMO, make it work for new cars as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post

Exactly our thoughts! For the final design we are thinking about offering tamper resistant screws to help prevent theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see that rubber go up another inch. Still to easy to scratch the paint when fiddling with the clamps.

.....Paging Ryans65
We actually made some design adjustments to those feet, and any part of the rack that comes into contact with the chassis will be covered with rubber to protect the paint!

Last edited by Russ at Rennline; 12-18-2018 at 07:43 AM..
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolson1982 View Post
Would love to see pictures of the black powder coated model. Would also volunteer to use my 911 for said photographs :-)
Thanks for the offer . We just sent the rack out to our local powder-coater, pictures of the black rack are soon to come, hopefully later this week!

Just out of curiosity what color would everyone like to see? Options for black would be gloss, satin or flat.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ at Rennline View Post
Thanks for the offer . We just sent the rack out to our local powder-coater, pictures of the black rack are soon to come, hopefully later this week!

Just out of curiosity what color would everyone like to see? Options for black would be gloss, satin or flat.
I am going say Satin for the black. As close to the factory finish as possible.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
These are really very nice. Id like to see it in black as Id put it on our 930.

Im loving these 55* days here in KC. These motors love the cool air!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I really like your attachment method. Any chance of offering some load bars compatible with common commercially available accessories? Id love to be able to carry a snowboard, powder skis, bike, kayak, rocket box, etc.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Any chance that the pictures of the black model will be out before the end of your Christmas sale?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

^

Russ I am definitely ordering one if you go satin..... flat is too hard to maintain and gloss is simply too shiny for a classic 911. If I have to have it stripped and redone to satin the cost is going to be prohibitive.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
i am going say satin for the black. As close to the factory finish as possible.
^
x2
Old 12-19-2018, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: