Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Summer is coming....

I live in Ft. Worth/Dallas area so those who've traversed this beautiful state knows it get's really hot and humid about 4 months of the year.

My '86 Targa's AC was jacked when I bought it. The compressor was frozen, the hoses leading to the compressor cracked - obviously been out for some time.

I'd like to replace it all and convert it to 134a. I'm on a budget so I'm doing this myself and I have about 5 months to complete.

Looking for guidance around solutions (i started looking at Griffiths Keuhl)

Thanks Pelicans!

Kevin

'86 Carrera Targa
'12 FLTKH
Old 12-21-2018, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I installed a Griffiths system last year, after a fair bit of research. The only alternative that seemed worth considering was the Classic Retrofit electric AC system. It looks great, and folks who have installed it seem to have been pleased. But it costs about $1k more than the Griffiths system (depending on your choice of parts). It's lighter, simpler, and easier to install, but I couldn't stretch my budget that far for those benefits. The Griffiths system is well proven, and the support is first rate.

Griff estimates 20 hours to do a complete install for someone with reasonable competence and appropriate tools. I think it took me about that long, maybe a bit more.

I'd recommend you get in touch with Griffiths to discuss your needs and get a quote.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just happy to be here.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I live in Ft. Worth/Dallas area so those who've traversed this beautiful state knows it get's really hot and humid about 4 months of the year.

My '86 Targa's AC was jacked when I bought it. The compressor was frozen, the hoses leading to the compressor cracked - obviously been out for some time.

I'd like to replace it all and convert it to 134a. I'm on a budget so I'm doing this myself and I have about 5 months to complete.

Kevin
^

Kevin,

I am native to DFW. I totally understand your wanting A/C. I was in your situation this time last year. Bought a car with a locked up compressor and ended up replacing everything back to stock. New compressor, lines, condenser, evaporator, ect.

The folks at Zims were very helpful and honestly the over all cost was reasonable. I compare this to Vintage air systems I had put in hot rods over the years as my basis.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Kevin, I don't know if you have actually talked to Griff. His system flat and simple will work. It is not cheap, but the instructions alone are worth a lot. His instructions are a gold standard of what all instructions should be.

I live in Oklahoma City, and we get pretty hot much like your area. I ended up adding two condensers to the left rear fender. All new hoses and a new evaporator. My original compressor died after a good life, so that has been replaced as well. My wife actually will go with me on long cross country road trips. Even to Savannah, GA in August.

All in all, of all the projects I have done to my 911, the AC upgrade-fix was the BEST one for the enjoyment of the car. My wife asked me last year why I don't tinker on the 911 like I used to. I told her it was done. Suspension, AC engine, transmission, fuel lines, and the rest. Now I just tinker to make minor improvements.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Love my Griffith's system. It has made driving so much more pleasurable.

1985 M491
Old 12-21-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Kevin, I also live in the DFW area (have for just under 30 years), and I get consistent, 28 degree vent temps in my 1987 Turbo (in high 90s, full sun conditions); anyone who rides in the car is always amazed by the a/c performance, even by "modern car" standards. My system is homebuilt, with a mixmash of components from Zims to GM - lots of trial and error involved, and plenty of learning along the way (much of it from certain members of this forum).

One thing's for sure, if you want the convenience and simplicity of a kit and detailed installation instructions, then Griffith's is the way to go (as others have mentioned above). And in addition, his tech support is second to none. For example, I have never bought anything from Griff (had not even heard of him, or Pelican, for that matter, when I did much of the a/c work on my car), but that has not stopped him from helping me on numerous occasions. At the risk of forum butt smooching accusations , he really is a great guy that knows his stuff (and his a/c systems will hang icicles on all yer parts!).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-21-2018 at 09:33 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Have the retro air in one car and the Classic Retro in another. Classic Retro is the bee’s knees. Blows way more air, and cools great. My Retro Air, a lot like the Griff, is good....but does not move anywhere the same amount of air. That, I have learned is the key. See my post somewhere in the long electric a/c thread. I went into some detail between the two.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Another happy Griffith’s customer here.

Can’t add much more to what has been said. I drove my black on black car for 4 yesrs in Atlanta with no A/C. It really limited my enjoyment of the car. It was a great upgrade in that sense.

I replaced the nose condenser with Charlie’s and added the 2 wheel well condensers for a total of four (including decklid).

One other tip is to look into window film made by 3M called Crystalline. It has a lifetime warranty and you have to find authorized 3M installers. It is amazing stuff and really helps to knock down the heat. The thing I like best is if I didn’t tell you the windows were tinted you would never know. Do a YouTube search and watch some of the demo videos.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: