Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Euro H4 "City Light" socket?

My car came with an uninstalled set of Euro H4 headlights. One is Bosch German, the other Bosch Czech. The Czech housing is missing the socket for the light below the H4 bulb. I've heard it referred to as the "City Light" but searching that term isnt helping identify the missing socket.

It obviously was there and fell out/lost. The copper tab that holds the socket in is in tact, but the socket and bulb are missing.

Anyone know a part number or correct name so I can order a replacement?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-09-2019, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Perhaps contact John Audette. He restores H1 and H4 lights and may be able to source something for you.

Audette Collection: The Definitive Resource on Vintage Porsche 911 Lighting | Concours Restoration of Porsche SWB 911 Headlamps, BOSCH H1's & H4's + LED Headlights

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post

Thanks for that info. John Audette took great care of me.

The correct bulb was a small challenge. It's a standard "MINIATURE BAYONET BASE (BA9S)" but the diameter of the glass bulb has to be about the same diam as the base. My first attempt from Napa had a bulb that was slightly too large to fit through the reflector. At another shop I found a Sylvania #1893 14V 4.6W that fit perfectly.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

These are the city light bulbs I used to replace one burned out bulb in my H4 lights.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
The city light is a nice little feature on the H4 light assemblies.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 01-18-2019, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

We call them parking lights. Quite handy especially with the indicator left on so only one side of the car is illuminated.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

These bulbs fit the socket, but not through the reflector -

Old 01-18-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I say leave them out. They look like broken headlights to everyone except car nerds.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
I say leave them out. They look like broken headlights to everyone except car nerds.
I proudly wear the Car Nerd hat!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

This keeps coming up; RoW H4 parking light fittings are the same as the US front running lamp holders. But Porsche don't list a part # for either - all you can buy is the complete assembly or a replacement lens...

From this thread 930 headlamps/small lights

Quote:
Correcting my own answer with new (to me) information 6 years later, heh.

For the Bosch city light bulb holder, you could wander into a Ducati dealer and ask them for a couple of 521.4.005.1A "lamp holder" parts. The part used on Monsters is identical except for an extra spade for ground (rubber mounted headlight). But they list for $15 a pop.

Mid-70's and up airhead BMWs used the same Bosch headlight, part # for their city light bulb holder seems to be 01-111957397.

And that's probably the actual Bosch part # - because Google says that's also the part # for a VW Bug, Super Beetle, Ghia, Bus, Thing etc "dash bulb holder", and the photo looks identical to the Euro city light/US front marker bulb holder, single spade and all; $2.50 each.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Speed Dog's Chauffeur

Garage
Call Daniel Stern

Daniel has the bright bulbs. My H4s had sockets and dim bulbs, I wired mine into parking light circuit. Nice for parking lots & drive-thru lines. Much more sociable than 100W high beams.

Last edited by Dodge Man; 01-18-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
Funny what you’re used to!

We call them ‘sidelights’. People might leave the sidelights on to indicate that the car is parked temporarily - this can prevent getting a parking ticket. They are also used at dusk - precursor to DRLs. The one side parking light feature is also present on many cars in Europe.

What looks funny to us Europeans is the US models’ double amber lenses in the front bumper and red rear indicators. Peculiar looking gauges with shift up arrows and limited speedometers.

I don’t think you should go there on the aesthetics. Many beautiful European cars ruined by US lighting and bumper regulations!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
I proudly wear the Car Nerd hat!
^
Me too..... all day and twice on Sunday.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I inserted the Sylvania #1893 bulb Solamar described into Google with "LED" attached and it came up with the following link. Seems like any of them will fit through the reflector. Question is, will an H4 bulb create enough heat to damage these LED bulbs? Operating temp spec is -30~+85 °C (-22~+185 °F).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led-ba9s-retrofit-car-classic-car-bulbs/6/4357/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=BA9s-x4-x-xVAC-CAR&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT27iG_9jRMDfbnHRVxcv SRS-u_gxEn1nd7ojnRQfqRxwl8NkF7HH8vAaAnZCEALw_wcB

Sherwood
Old 01-22-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG81 View Post
^
Me too..... all day and twice on Sunday.
+1 - love them.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Nice. I did the same but disconnected the running light in the Amber lens and left that as a turn signal only
Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I use these in my city lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNMX832

Stupidly bright, and they *just* squeeze into the hole in the H4 housing. They are bright enough that you can drive up the driveway and such with them alone. I also turned my front amber lights into turn signals only, and the side ambers are parking lights only.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

They have a practical purpose. I believe it is the ADAC law in Germany to have them. Only downside: I suppose you could run the battery down if left on for too long.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: