Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DIY Front & Rear Suspension Overhaul - Youtube video series

Hey gang, I've finally just started the much overdue suspension refresh on my '77 911 and will be creating an accompanying video series for my youtube channel.

You may remember me from such youtube hits as:
Vinyl wrapping my 911!
and
How to clean your Weber idle jets!

This project will focus on replacing and refreshing as many suspension components as possible using street (and budget) friendly components. I'm learning along the way, and will do my best to share everything. Thanks for watching!

Up next I'm going to try and make my own P210 Porsche ball joint tool using a 1 1/2" socket and my angle grinder..
Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking video/car! Doing my suspension was one of the more rewarding things I have done to my car.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
Yas! Give us aaaaall the DIY Porsche youtubes!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Benny. Your videos are awesome, I have watched them several times. I curious about your new trick for ball joint removal.
Just for reference this is the tool I used to remove my ball joints. $15 at O'Reilly auto parts. It fits perfect and only took 2 seconds to get off. I think the torque setting is 108lbs so putting back on I'll be able to use a torque wrench.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Hey Benny. Your videos are awesome, I have watched them several times. I curious about your new trick for ball joint removal.
Just for reference this is the tool I used to remove my ball joints. $15 at O'Reilly auto parts. It fits perfect and only took 2 seconds to get off. I think the torque setting is 108lbs so putting back on I'll be able to use a torque wrench.
I think you have transposed a number on your torque setting. It is over 180ftlbs.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pretty cool video, I'm going to be watching this for sure.

I also have a 1977 911 S Targa and I plan on a suspension refresh very soon.

I'm curious about your engine, what can you tell me about it? I've got a 2.7 and I was thinking of going EFI and ITBs eventually.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Minimalist

Garage
Yes! Glad to see you are doing a new Porsche project on video.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 01-11-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks, everyone! Wow that giant socket from ORiellys is tempting. I think I'm still going to try making the tool anyway just to produce the video and see what happens.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, impressive production quality.

Is this going to be a step by step DIY like ChrisFix?
Or is it more a quick before/after type of summary video?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I’m just about to start my front end refresh will have to put this of until the next video can’t wait...mike fitz
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Wow, impressive production quality.

Is this going to be a step by step DIY like ChrisFix?
Or is it more a quick before/after type of summary video?
Thanks! Probably somewhere in-between since I don't consider myself an expert. I am, however, always eager to share things I learn or mistakes I make along the way.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Great looking video! Will be watching for sure. It’s certanly more labor and time consuming for you but more detail and step by step would be fantastic. Easy for me to say I realize! This is a real service to the Pelican community. Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Here's another brand new channel !

Air cooled 911 DIY videos are basically nonexistent
so it's wonderful to see the next generation of owners
stepping up making air cooled beginner DIY videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChD0eomlbxseKJWED3NwdEA/videos

Last edited by sugarwood; 01-17-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Years ago when I bought and worked on my '70 beetle, I bought a set of DVD's that covered just about every maintenance/repair aspect of the car. They were known as the "Bug Me" videos and were very well done. They even tore down and rebuilt the VW engine.... Wouldn't it be amazing to see a DVD set put together by a guy like John Walker? I'm sure there'd be lots of interest.
Check out the home page for the Bug Me videos to give you an idea of what's available to the VW community:
Bug Me Video - Home
I'm thinking it's time for someone who really knows what they're doing to step up to the plate and put together a comprehensive set of DVD's. I'm sure money could be made on the project.
Yukon Yellow
Old 01-18-2019, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The problem is that the 911 is sold in such small numbers that it's not worth while. Total sales are a fraction of mustangs, f150, or 3-series. That's why those cars have endless amounts of videos.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
I reckon by the time my car runs, this will be an invaluable resource for my own suspension overhaul.

Thanks for being enthusiastic about the documentation as much as the work!

IG: @doktor_b
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It worked! Sort of...

Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Good honest video about Plan A not working out.
I have seen photos of guys removing the ball joint in situ with a jack pressing up on the socket
Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

When I did this, I fought that nut a bit. Then gave up on it. Since I was replacing everything including the hardware. I drilled down vertically through the nut which took about 2 minutes, I stopped just before hitting the arm. I gave it a whack with a cold chisel and it opened up and I was able to remove by hand. Took all of 5 minutes and I didn't have to beat myself up doing it. Though this method really only applies if you have the a-arms out.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Awesome video Benny! Keep 'em coming. Funny and informative.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 01-18-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
ball joints , bushing , control arm , suspension , youtube