Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Windshield washer delay time expectations

My washer pumps for about 3 to 5 seconds (a couple of sweeps of the wipers) before washer fluid makes it to my windshield. Is this delay expected? Iíve a cheap aftermarket pump and Iím willing to get a better one for a faster response at the nozzle.

Ď78 SC
Old 01-18-2019, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There should be check valves nearby the nozzles they sometimes get stuck open.
Cheap and easy to replace (a bit annoying tho).
1969 911T rust bucket
1966 911 Buffum college car (1/2 owned)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Thanks I’ve got a new one on drivers. Old one on passenger. Maybe the passenger, seems it should not affect drivers side though.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
Thanks Iíve got a new one on drivers. Old one on passenger. Maybe the passenger, seems it should not affect drivers side though.
Not sure about that...seems like it would need to build pressure in the system first by filling up the passenger side lines first, once the fluid gets to the nozzles then enough pressure builds to push fluid through the D/S check valve - ergo- squirt.

Dennis
Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iciclehead View Post
Not sure about that...seems like it would need to build pressure in the system first by filling up the passenger side lines first, once the fluid gets to the nozzles then enough pressure builds to push fluid through the D/S check valve - ergo- squirt.
^^^+1 this.

Both sides should squirt as soon as you hear the pump. The check valves stop the water slowly draining back through the pump. If they don't work, aren't connected properly - or there's a leak, maybe from hardened plastic tubing not fitting anymore - you have to pump the water back up from the tank to the squirters every time.

Either check valve not working causes both sides to drain.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Either check valve not working causes both sides to drain.
Yep. One main line up the drivers side inner fender will allow bleed down to the squirtie motor if there is an air leak at either squirtie.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 66!

Garage
I recently rebuilt my original non working window washer system. There are three connections to the tank. One is the pickup tube for the pump. There is a one way valve on the bottom of the pickup tube in the holding tank. That valve prevents any fluid from draining back into the tank from the pump. The pump output has a tee connector. One connection goes to the sprayers and the second connection goes to the second connection back at the tank cap. I believe this is a return line used to prevent over pressure in the line while the pump is running. The third line at the tank connector goes to an open connector attached to the fuel/washer housing. I believe this line allows the tank to breath and prevents a vacuum build up in the tank. There are check valves at both spray heads to prevent fluid from draining. The system is designed to squid fluid before the wipers start to move.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
You guys Rock. I’ll be writing a check for some new check valves!

Thanks for the knowledge sharing!
Old 01-19-2019, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Well I just added a new valve to the passenger side nozzle, and as predicted by the many herein I’ve no delay now. Nice to get fluid immediately to the windshield. Thanks again all
Old 01-26-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: