Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front strut housings pt 2?

Hello all

Just a continuation from my post in the 914 section but this time about 911 Strut housing. Same initial spew about whats up....

Working on some nice replicas here using 911 and 914 front suspensions and i'm turning crossed eyed over the number of different strut housings and hope some on here can help out in clarifying/identifying what i have to play with!

So as attached are strut housings of question.

Okay Left strut housing has the 18MM axle retainer nut thread, the other two are 16mm
The two outer strut housings have a 3.5" spacing, the center only 3" spacing
The Center strut housing the Caliper mounting part if off set away from the tube.

I only have a pair of the center housings, and need mates for the two outer housings. Also need to figure out if the Hubs (if they are all the same) and Calipers! (the later shouldn't be as bad!)

Thank you all
Kevin

Link to the 914 aspect of this same problem
Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The one on the left is from an '84-89. It has an extra bracket welded on, which is for the pad thickness sensor wire. The others are earlier.

The center one is for an early non-S model, which used the smaller front caliper. You certainly wouldn't want to build a car with different size calipers side to side. Forget that one.

I believe the bearings are the same for all of these. They just take different "nuts" - the thing you screw on and then tighten just right for bearing play. There are also two slightly different aluminum hubs, one with the dust shield as an "innie," and one with it as an "outie". As long as you have the right nut and tabbed washer, you should be able to use these as a set despite differences - as long as you have the calipers matched.

Not sure I would do that on a car I planned to sell, though. Buy mates.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you for the response.

So basically we have TWO right 84+ struts, a pair of early 911 (non model S) and a single Left early production (going by the 16mm Axle nut?)

Normally we try to deal with the later components, but try to use what we can get.

Any more information any one has would be wonderful.

thank you again
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: