Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
My take on the jack pad thingie

When you jack one side up first, the car and the jack pad are angled and not flat to the jack anymore. This bugged me and so I added a swivel point. I also made it lower so the low profile jack I use would start lifting sooner and ultimately lift the car higher.
Besides my less than pretty welds, what do you think?
Tried seven times to upload a 2.3mb pic. This forum being throttled or something???
Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very cool concept, I've seen some vintage race cars with a u bend from the jack points. Not pretty but it was effective
Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes ,great welds,very jealous.
But,Isn't your pivot point duplicating the pivot point of the hydraulic jack pad it self ? My jack has a lift pad that pivots.
Also remember ,the jack walks as you lift the car,which means your pivot point and vertical stub post will
shift slightly
Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I think 2MB is max.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterair View Post
Yes ,great welds,very jealous.
But,Isn't your pivot point duplicating the pivot point of the hydraulic jack pad it self ? My jack has a lift pad that pivots.
Also remember ,the jack walks as you lift the car,which means your pivot point and vertical stub post will
shift slightly
Hmm, my jack doesn't have a pivot like that which is why I built it into the part.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If thats the case, your design is perfect.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
betterair, what jack do you have? I've never seen one that i can recall that has a pivot on the jack pad. can you post a pic of it?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage sale a few yrs ago,from her frt.still works.$40.00.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/2/62160_W3.jpg
Old 01-28-2019, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
Where you have that 90 degree joint, the stress is enormous. I could see it failing catastrophically.

If it was me, I would weld in a strengthening gusset to spread the load.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, so your jack is typical, where the lifting pad stays parallel to the ground. The pivot in the arm by pampadori is designed to keep the arm pad in full contact with the jack pad since lifting a single side of the car causes it to lean and therefore not stay parallel to the ground like the jack pad.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
Where you have that 90 degree joint, the stress is enormous. I could see it failing catastrophically.

If it was me, I would weld in a strengthening gusset to spread the load.
I thought about that. But then I wondered if it really was as high stressed as it seemed. Imagine it without even being welded together at that spot. Just the square bar placed at the end of the other square bar with the force pushing upward. Would it actually still lift the car if those two bars were just relying on the fact that they are both flat at the contact point and not easily able to roll off one another?
It's really not under any substantial bending force there at all. If it was, the pivot point would just instantly adjust all the way to one side. I'll try to post a picture of what I mean next time I go out to the garage. I have another set that isn't fully welded together yet and i can use it to show my point.

Or I'm completely wrong and it won't work, in which case, I'll weld a gusset to it and blame it on lack of sleep!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Nice to see I'm not the only one who uses my table saw as a welding table

I've often thought of doing something similar. My idea was to make an "L" and just let the short leg of the L hang down and pivot on the jack pad. If you want to keep your jack pad in good condition your enhancment on the idea is a good one.

When I'm jacking up cars I use the jacking point - I raise one side enough to put 3" of wood block under the wheels, then move to the other side, jack it high enough to put jackstands under, then go back to the original side. It keeps the angularity to a minimum.

Everybody will probably chime in saying to get a hoist but I don't care for them. If I had acres of shop space I might feel different.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
This morning I went out and jacked up the car with the jack pad parts that I hadn't finished welding together. Here you can see that the 90 joint isn't welded together but I was still able to jack the car up.

There really isn't any significant stress at that spot during normal operation of jacking up the car.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Is that solid bar? What size did you buy?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
yeah it is 7/8" solid square bar. I ground a bevel on all four sides and filled with weld to make it stronger.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Nice. At one time I thought it would have been an improvement on the standard jack plate to make the flat lifting surface with a slight concave radius.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I saw some guy use the circular jack pad sideways once as the jack went up the pad just moved around the circle and was perfect . .. I never approached him but considered I had been using it wrong all these years.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I do the same thing as Jonny042. Break it up into two steps so the angle never gets extreme.

I do like the extension downward, to maximize the lift's reach.

I don't think the hinged pad buys anything. The pad just sits on the edge of the lift's cup and pivots on the point of contact as the lift rises.

I use 6-ton jack stands with the ratcheting adjustment. Just started using a Quick-Jack a couple months ago.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Loading the standard jack pad on the side puts all the stress on the weld. Not for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: