Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Complete Brake Job

Weeping under the booster necessitates replacement. I happen to have a used, hopefully good, brake booster in a box. I will install a new MC. As long as I am at it, I might as well rebuild the calipers and blow out the lines. Hoping to avoid the dreaded frozen brake piston syndrome, I am starting by removing the pads and putting paint stirring sticks between the pistons and rotors. Together (there are two of them in each location) they are 3/16" thick. I could easily feel, carefully depressing the pedal, the pistons pinching the sticks.

In this way, I confirmed each of the pistons are moving properly and I also got the pistons sticking out far enough to remove them using various methods. If you do this, be sure to keep your master cylinder topped off. It takes a bit of brake fluid to move these pistons out like this.

Then, I sucked as much brake fluid out of the reservoir as possible with an old turkey baster and stuck the right rear brake line into a jar, where it is draining now. I will, on another day, remove the calipers and use a C-clamp and air pressure to remove the pistons one by one to clean and rebuild these calipers.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you can remove one pad at a time and have someone else slowly press the pedal, then push piston back in and repeat. this is also a good way to unstick a piston without removing the caliper.

with caliper removed you can use compressed air. I out a block off wood in the caliper so the pistons will hit the wood and stop before popping out completely.

you can test the booster by pulling a vacuum on it.

I don't know if compressed air through the lines is a good idea, that could put moisture in there.

get the power bleeder from motive. I just got one and I love it.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you also need to pull a vacuum on the vac line that goes to the booster
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-13-2019, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I trust the vacuum line running through the body, if that is what you mean. I will use negative pressure to refill the lines, so there should not be a moisture problem. Good ideas!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: