Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
[QUOTE=pmax;10419288]Wow, lots of angst over what amounts to going to a car show, and a static one at that.

Ironic that on a marque enthusiast forum there would be disappointment about not being admitted to one of the most talked about events in the Calendar where there will be lots of really beautiful and pedigree examples of the marque, and a bunch of people interested in the same hobby.

Since you are clearly not attending Luft 6 we will be missing out. Why not post a pic of your Porsche. Not a toy or scale model, the actual titled, registered & driven example that you own. That would be a consolation prize for those of us who didn't make the cut.

Last edited by sm70911; 04-07-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I checked out your build thread for the first time to get a feel for what sort of car might make the cut (or not)....... your car is fantastic!!!, and I am sure deserves a spot, as do you. Obviously the show only has room for the big names and the high dollar cars and the high profile owner$. Not to say it's not going to be a great show but it's obviously past the point where regular guys like us can participate (as opposed to watch).

I am sure other more grassroots events will pop up around it to fill the obvious need.
I am honestly insanely curious to see what makes the cut and try to understand why or how. I think and hope it will make sense once seeing it. I also wonder when it came down to trying to choose letís say 150/200 cars out of 1000+ there probably would have been a better and/or easier way in hindsight. My guess is some cars will have been accepted when the process started that equally would have gotten rejected as the fatigue set in. Imagine how boring and monotonous it could get after looking at the first 200 cars.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I am honestly insanely curious to see what makes the cut and try to understand why or how. I think and hope it will make sense once seeing it. I also wonder when it came down to trying to choose letís say 150/200 cars out of 1000+ there probably would have been a better and/or easier way in hindsight. My guess is some cars will have been accepted when the process started that equally would have gotten rejected as the fatigue set in. Imagine how boring and monotonous it could get after looking at the first 200 cars.
By this stage I'm certain the lobbying for spots starts almost as soon as Luft ends. Like the OP said, you need to know someone at this point.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I am honestly insanely curious to see what makes the cut and try to understand why or how.
It's a good question, but I suspect the answer is like so much else in life: if you knew how casually/accidentally/whatever the can't-possibly-make-everyone-happy decisions were made, you would not give much weight (at all) to the results. Which is not to say the cars at the show won't be great. Of course they will. But can you imagine what a headache making these decisions would be? How much time it would take, even if all you had to go by were the (unverified) 500-word descriptions and some (possibly-misleading) pictures? Then, add to that the egos, personalities and existing relationships in this small world of air-cooled Porsches.

If somebody asked me to play a role in it, I would run in the other direction.

All that said, I have no idea what the process was that the Luft guys used to make these decisions. If I had a criticism for them, it wouldn't be about the process. It would be more along the lines of... 1) we'll have to accept that a lot of the choices are going to be arbitrary, but 2) there really ought to be air-cooled Porsche parking for as many air-cooled Porsches as show up.

In the past, I've been part of the display sometimes and part of the parking lot scene other times. As a 911 owner, I probably had a better time when I was just parked in a parking lot talking to other guys about their builds. As a spectator, I enjoy seeing the cool rare cars that are trailered in for the show. But most of us are both owners and spectators, and it's always going to be tricky to mix those roles together. My 911 doesn't belong next to a Gmund 356, but chance put them pretty close to each other last year. But the year before that? The merely-air-cooled parking lot was the most fun part of the show for me.

Short version: it could easily be a few interns who have to make these selections, or a group of higher-ups who have to race through all the decisions in one sit-down, giving up on some cars they like as part of the give-and-take of any group negotiation. Who knows. But whatever it was, there are bound to be inconsistencies in the final decisions. Even if you just consider the fatigue of usual-suspect cars that might be awesome but have been a part of every show for so long that we know them inside and out.

How do you make fair and consistent decisions with all these factors at play? I guess you do your best, but no one should scrutinize the results too closely. I hope we all can just enjoy the show.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
It's a good question, but I suspect the answer is like so much else in life: if you knew how casually/accidentally/whatever the can't-possibly-make-everyone-happy decisions were made, you would not give much weight (at all) to the results. Which is not to say the cars at the show won't be great. Of course they will. But can you imagine what a headache making these decisions would be? How much time it would take, even if all you had to go by were the (unverified) 500-word descriptions and some (possibly-misleading) pictures? Then, add to that the egos, personalities and existing relationships in this small world of air-cooled Porsches.

If somebody asked me to play a role in it, I would run in the other direction.

All that said, I have no idea what the process was that the Luft guys used to make these decisions. If I had a criticism for them, it wouldn't be about the process. It would be more along the lines of... 1) we'll have to accept that a lot of the choices are going to be arbitrary, but 2) there really ought to be air-cooled Porsche parking for as many air-cooled Porsches as show up.

In the past, I've been part of the display sometimes and part of the parking lot scene other times. As a 911 owner, I probably had a better time when I was just parked in a parking lot talking to other guys about their builds. As a spectator, I enjoy seeing the cool rare cars that are trailered in for the show. But most of us are both owners and spectators, and it's always going to be tricky to mix those roles together. My 911 doesn't belong next to a Gmund 356, but chance put them pretty close to each other last year. But the year before that? The merely-air-cooled parking lot was the most fun part of the show for me.

Short version: it could easily be a few interns who have to make these selections, or a group of higher-ups who have to race through all the decisions in one sit-down, giving up on some cars they like as part of the give-and-take of any group negotiation. Who knows. But whatever it was, there are bound to be inconsistencies in the final decisions. Even if you just consider the fatigue of usual-suspect cars that might be awesome but have been a part of every show for so long that we know them inside and out.

How do you make fair and consistent decisions with all these factors at play? I guess you do your best, but no one should scrutinize the results too closely. I hope we all can just enjoy the show.

Yeah exactly. If thatís not what I said it was what I was trying to say.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

If I was Patrick I’d announce that the cars on display would be “Patrick’s picks”

No more selection criteria than that
I’d have free license to pick what moved me

People would come not to see the best cars at the show n shine trophy contest, but to see what interested me this year

And then they’d leave wondering what I would pick next time

Whatever he picked would be great

Maybe it would be historically significant
Maybe it would be an ugly duckling with character

Who knows.
It would be great!

I suspect the biggest challenge would be finding enough parking
The rest would be easy
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If I was Patrick Iíd announce that the cars on display would be ďPatrickís picksĒ

Iíd have free license to pick what moved me

People would come not to see the best cars at the show n shine trophy contest, but to see what interested me this year

And then theyíd leave wondering what I would pick next time

Who knows.
It would be great!

The rest would be easy
Great concept
Old 04-07-2019, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
All great points made here.....my thought is this is Patrick’s and Howies show and they can do what they want. Jump The Shark hits the nail on the head. It’s a different game now and that’s okay. It has to be tough to manage and let’s not kid ourselves it is for the passion of Porsche and for profit now. It’s has gotten too big and too risky now to not make money doing it. I’m totally good with this too.

How many people entering their cars have been in the community for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years? I bet most people wanting to have there car displayed are less than 10 probably less than 5 me included. Just because we are Porsche owners and passionate about it doesn’t mean we should get in. I compare it to school and sports now, we give out participation trophies just for being there. Yes it’s a bummer there is less cars to display but I’d bet a paycheck it will be a great event, different but great.

Don’t be surprised also to see a lot of cars that are active in social media... they have helped build this market to what it is.....maybe a bad thing.....but think it’s good thing...... I have at least 4 friends with cars accepted and their cars are solid but not trailer queens, not super rare, just cool cars....These guys have been super active week in and week out at tons of events here in So. Cal. giving to back to the community. Let’s have fun, enjoy, drive our cars there.

As someone stated before there will be plenty of Cars and Coffees and pre-events on Saturday to attend here in So. Cal. I’d be willing to create another event later in the year in a giant parking lot but I’m just an ordinary Joe with no juice...just a big heart and passion for Porsche.

Last edited by CBA; 04-10-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
All great points made here.....my thought is this is Patrickís and Howies show and they can do what they want. Jump The Shark hits the nail on the head. Itís a different game now and thatís okay. It has to be tough to manage and letís not kid ourselves it is for the passion of Porsche and for profit now. Itís has gotten too big and too risky now to not make money doing it. Iím totally good with this too.

How many people entering their cars have been in the community for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years? I bet most people wanting to have there car displayed are less than 10 probably less than 5 me included. Just because we are Porsche owners and passionate about it doesnít mean we should get in. I compare it to school and sports now, we give out participation trophies just for being there. Yes itís a bummer there is less cars to display but Iíd bet a paycheck it will be a great event, different but great.

Donít be surprised also to see a lot of cars that are active in social media... they have helped build this market to what it is.....maybe a bad thing.....but think itís good thing...... I have at least 5 friends with cars accepted and their cars are solid but not trailer queens, not super rare, just cool cars....These guys have been super active week in and week out at tons of events here in So. Cal. giving to back to the community. Letís have fun, enjoy, drive our cars there.

As someone stated before there will be plenty of Cars and Coffees and pre-events on Saturday to attend here in So. Cal. Iíd be willing to create another event later in the year in a giant parking lot but Iím just an ordinary Joe with no juice...just a big heart and passion for Porsche.
My thought was the same on the social media front. Had to play a role.

1987 3.2 Carrera Coupe - Venetian Blue
Old 04-07-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If I was Patrick I’d announce that the cars on display would be “Patrick’s picks”

I’d have free license to pick what moved me

And then they’d leave wondering what I would pick next time

Who knows.
It would be great!

The rest would be easy
wayner, I think that's is very smart. If nothing else, it would certainly calm down the social media kickback about being chosen or not.

But here's the thing, I'd be surprised if Patrick is involved in the storyline selection in any meaningful way. My guess would be he works the 'get Walter RŲhrl or Vic Elford or Alois Ruf or the authentic Porsche big-race-winning cars to the show' angle. The cool US builds and models with quirky old provenance are probably curated by some friends, with Patrick scanning the list at the end and maybe adding some acquaintances in because they're his friends.

Again, that's total speculation on my part. But again, I'd wager there's far less thought going into this process than we suspect. Just quick decisions at a point in time where everyone involved is probably flooded with a long list of other things they've got to get done before the show.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

I made it in. My buddyís insanely nice 964 didnít. Itís easily one of the top 964ís in SoCal and he supports everybodyís events. Itís unfortunate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjUtbXg_lz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=hz0ceklla5de
Old 04-07-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
I made it in. My buddyís insanely nice 964 didnít. Itís easily one of the top 964ís in SoCal and he supports everybodyís events. Itís unfortunate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjUtbXg_lz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=hz0ceklla5de
Congrats and bummer for Jared. His car is very nice and a great guy.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Jack, what you wrote here is how I feel. What bums me out a little, in my naivete, I assumed the aircooled display would just be a big parking area, similar to Luft4 - that was such a great get together right next to the main display. But I think the aircooled dispaly is aircooled cars parked around more staged Storyline cars. So obviously there isn't that much space to accommodate everyone on the streets of the back lot.

So I'm just hoping upon hope that the parking for Luft6 will be separate from the main Universal parking and there will be another great gathering point of many aircooled cars driven to the event. Because surely with the large amount of cars not in the Luft6 display, there has to be many many Porsches in the event parking area.

Whatever the case, I know I'm going to enjoy this great event!
66 Jaguar MKII - Sherwood Green
09 VW GTI - Candy White
Old 04-07-2019, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
wayner, I think that's is very smart. If nothing else, it would certainly calm down the social media kickback about being chosen or not.

But here's the thing, I'd be surprised if Patrick is involved in the storyline selection in any meaningful way. My guess would be he works the 'get Walter RŲhrl or Vic Elford or Alois Ruf or the authentic Porsche big-race-winning cars to the show' angle. The cool US builds and models with quirky old provenance are probably curated by some friends, with Patrick scanning the list at the end and maybe adding some acquaintances in because they're his friends.

Again, that's total speculation on my part. But again, I'd wager there's far less thought going into this process than we suspect. Just quick decisions at a point in time where everyone involved is probably flooded with a long list of other things they've got to get done before the show.
Your probably right
Iím just happy something like this exists and is successful

One day Iíll make it to California and wander around one of these events, just happy to see the sights
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 04-07-2019, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

My nice but not super special 71 got selected for the storyline
My friends beautiful multiple concourse winner 914-6 got in the show but not storyline.
So there is some sort of logic Iím sure to the organization based on a story they want to tell.
I agree. It would be nice to have a parking type setup similar to the modernica setup.
After that they made it a little more curated. It just got very big. Itís a hard line to balance.

Itís a good show and fun time and Iím sure it will be well done.

Last year i was just display in my g body.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyerx View Post
My nice but not super special 71 got selected for the storyline
My friends beautiful multiple concourse winner 914-6 got in the show but not storyline.
So there is some sort of logic I’m sure to the organization based on a story they want to tell.
I agree. It would be nice to have a parking type setup similar to the modernica setup.
After that they made it a little more curated. It just got very big. It’s a hard line to balance.

It’s a good show and fun time and I’m sure it will be well done.

Last year i was just display in my g body.

Beautiful car. It would be fun for others that got chosen for the story-line to show us their cars as I bet we can sort of piece it together
Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

congrats brah. vader will be there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post

Last edited by G50911; 04-17-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

See, I like this idea of a story line or Patrickís pics or whatever

No beauty contests and people not feeling good enough
I couldnít imagine the angst of being judged in a concourse

Everybodyís car is special to them for different reasons

Mine tells me a story no one else sees, but itís a gripping tale of perseverance, successes, conflict, betrayal, and ultimately victory and rising from the ashes
Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Obviously the show only has room for the big names and the high dollar cars and the high profile owner$. Not to say it's not going to be a great show but it's obviously past the point where regular guys like us can participate (as opposed to watch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Not sure how many of those guys would be willing to spend thousands here ...
I'm in disbelief that I made it in. I'm a regular, middle-class nobody that busts my ass 45 hours a week. I have a cheap Carrera that I drive the **** out of, and I'm driving it balls out 23 hours to Luft6 by myself.

I think that's the only reason I got in. There are a lot of more significant, more expensive and nicer cars that didn't get in and I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

I also think that maybe they had a format they were trying to fill with so many of certain types of air-cooled cars.

www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
I'm in disbelief that I made it in. I'm a regular, middle-class nobody that busts my ass 45 hours a week. I have a cheap Carrera that I drive the **** out of, and I'm driving it balls out 23 hours to Luft6 by myself.

I think that's the only reason I got in. There are a lot of more significant, more expensive and nicer cars that didn't get in and I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

I also think that maybe they had a format they were trying to fill with so many of certain types of air-cooled cars.

Maybe there is a ďcoolest wifeĒ category?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: