Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken Sunroof - 1988 911

Hi,

I have a broken support on the pop-up spoiler (air dam) associated with my sunroof. It is preventing the sunroof from closing all the way. It's a plastic part that attaches to one of the pivot arms on the spoiler. On my car it is the right hand side. I've attached 4 photos in an attempt to clarify the part that is broken. Two picks of the (broken) rhs and 2 of the intact lhs for perspective.
Is it possible to obtain this through Pelican? Also, if anyone has advice on how to proceed with a repair, please let me know as it appears that it may be a PITA.

I just previewed my post and all of the pics are upside down. Not really sure what caused this or how to correct, but hopefully knowing this will help to visualize.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty sure this is it, 911-564-123-00-M100.

Host sells and I bought a couple years ago. They are a bit fiddly and I recall breaking one trying to install.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks! Yeah working on the sunroof is a real pain. Several years ago, one of my cables broke. At least I don't have to deal with that again.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If I remember correctly they look like they just snap in place but they don't and are fragile. That's how I broke one. Can't remember exactly how a got it in though. May want to buy an extra just in case.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is there a left and a right side? They only come in pairs. Are they interchangeable?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Recreational User

They are all the same. I've replaced several. I don't think I've seen a 911 without at least one broken one.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good luck!

It's a shame more G bodies weren't sunroof deletes.

I opened my '87 sunroof one time, to verify operation. That was it's swan song.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Is there some sort of PM that we can do to prevent these problems?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Any hints on replacement procedure?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrington View Post
Any hints on replacement procedure?
I would heat the piece up with a heat gun to make it flexible.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Old 02-16-2019, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thought I would follow up on this since there seemed to be some well intended, but incorrect advice offered. Hopefully, my experience will help someone else. Turns out this is an extremely easy repair.

On my sunroof, it was the hinge on the right side that broke. The air dam rotates on the hinges due to the arms located at the left and right extremities of the air dam. When the sunroof closes, the arms are forced down which (under normal operation) pulls the air dam down so that it retracts below the level of the sunroof so it is safely tucked away when the sunroof is closed. The arms are attached to the air dam via small springs which are configured to push the air dam to the upright position. The force of the springs are overcome when the sunroof closes.

IMO, the best way to remove the air dam is to leave the arms attached at the air dam and detach the other end of the arms by either loosening or removing completely the metal strips that contain a pin that holds the arm(s) in place. You just need enough clearance to slip the plastic arm off its retaining pin. You can see this in the attached photo. Once the arms are freed, the air dam can be removed from its remaining intact hinge. You can leave the arms attached to the air dam.

Next the metal strip that houses the plastic hinges must be removed. It's held in place by four screws. Once all four screws are removed, the plate itself may require some gentle nudging to break free. I just put some masking tape over the end of a screwdriver and gently pried it free. Once this is removed, it's easy to replace the broken hinge with the new part. Just make sure to locate the pins of the air dam in the hinges first. ;-)

Now you can remount the metal plate and reattach the plastic arms.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

bbarrington,
Great info. Need to fix my sunroof on an '88, previous owner said one of the cable needs replacing. I'll check all other parts/components at the same time. Your reply will be helpful.

I do need to replace the inside sunroof panel, missing when I bought the car. Anyone out there that can suggest where I can buy one? Check Pelican & internet but no luck.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Nice write up bbarrington.

The PET indicate that the sunroof liner/frame is 911-564-020-00. This part number was available on Sunset's website (not Pelican), I checked but it did not include the color code. Other part numbers that were listed in the PET and should work 946-564-020-00 and 901-564-291-07. All of these part numbers should have a color extention on the number ex. -700 for black.

Last edited by HaroldMHedge; 03-03-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Old 03-03-2019, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

HaroldMHedge,

Appreciate the info!
Have great day!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 , air dam , coupe , porsche , sunroof