Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
MSD 6AL install on '77 911

I have a '77 911, that from factory had a Permatune CDI box with a 3 pin connector. The Permatune worked fine, but I apparently had to spend some money, so I decided to install an MSD box. I got an older MSD 6AL box (pn#6420) from ebay. I then got an MSD 2 Blaster coil, one of the vibration resistant ones, and a set of Clewett Engineering wires. I had previously installed a Pertronix unit to replace my points. Thanks to Timmy2 (fellow Pelican) I was able to get the thing wired and going. So, per the MSD install instructions and many bits of information for MSD box installs into a 911, I ran a wire to the battery connection on the starter solenoid. That's the big red wire from the MSD, and the big black wire I landed under one of the screws for the plate that holds on the electrical goodies in the engine compartment. I then wired the orange wire to positive on the coil and the black on the negative (both from MSD box), and removed the 2 wires from the factory harness. There are only two wires on the coil, both from the MSD box. I then terminated the thin red wire to the red in the 3 pin connector. The red is the middle terminal. Now pull back the rubber boot on the 3 pin connector; there is an index in the plastic housing. The white wire opposite the index gets the white wire from the MSD box. That's it. I hope others can use this information.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: