Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
White smoke from engine fan?

I'm working through issues on my car and this one has popped up recently.

White smoke is coming out of the engine bay when I stop the car after a drive. It looks like it's coming out from the engine fan housing.

I've seen this when my fan belt gave out, but that's not it since the fan belt was replaced not long ago and looks to be working just fine.

Most search results say it's oil dropping onto the cat or heat exchangers. O tried looking under the car while it was smoking but could not see anything. Would these kinds of issues cause smoke to come out of the fan anyhow?

I was planning on changing the oil today once my shipment from pelican comes in, i doubt that will solve the issue but I'm doing it anyways. Any other ideas what this might be? Pressure and temperature both seem normal.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The car is driven regularly, it isn't a case of sitting and burning off oil buildup in that regard
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Weird, seeing as how the engine fan sucks from the belt side and blows past the alternator into the shroud. You didn't comment as to billowing smoke, lightly wafting smoke, engine at higher rpms or at idle. Oil smoke has a distinct and unmistakable odor, as does electrical wiring, yet you didn't mention the scent. I've got no experience with it aside from the time that the oil breather hose let loose and that source was pretty unmistakable given the amount of stuff coming out. Maybe some more details will elicit some help...
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donagain1 View Post
Weird, seeing as how the engine fan sucks from the belt side and blows past the alternator into the shroud. You didn't comment as to billowing smoke, lightly wafting smoke, engine at higher rpms or at idle. Oil smoke has a distinct and unmistakable odor, as does electrical wiring, yet you didn't mention the scent. I've got no experience with it aside from the time that the oil breather hose let loose and that source was pretty unmistakable given the amount of stuff coming out. Maybe some more details will elicit some help...

Thanks for the response. I was having a separate smoking issue that smelled electrical and I traced that down to a wire in the front trunk yesterday, this engine issue is separate from that. I notice it mostly when i park the car after a drive longer than 10 minutes. I believe it happens at idle but I've always noticed it after i turn the car off after my drive. I would say the "light wafting" smoke, it comes up through the engine lid (I have a turbo tail) I've noticed it for a week or two. It doesn't seem to have any other impact upon driving as far as i can tell.

Since it happens after 10 minutes or so of driving it seems to correlate with something heating up and burning oil. I just can't figure what would cause it to come out the engine fan.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah you better check for mouse nests or other critter nests in that top engine area behind the fan. You'd be very, very surprised at how fast they can build a nest somewhere - and they can get into any area less than the size of a nickel. It's hard to keep them out of there - ie impossible. They even built one inside inside my top shroud AFTER I dropped the motor, even after I cleaned one up when the motor was in-situ.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yeah you better check for mouse nests or other critter nests in that top engine area behind the fan. You'd be very, very surprised at how fast they can build a nest somewhere - and they can get into any area less than the size of a nickel. It's hard to keep them out of there - ie impossible. They even built one inside inside my top shroud AFTER I dropped the motor, even after I cleaned one up when the motor was in-situ.
Oh boy. Well it's been raining a lot here in SD i wouldn't be surprised if someone found some refuge in the engine bay.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Don't forget to pull the heater levers to full hot, makes the mice go the long way around to a dry place...
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotselas View Post
Oh boy. Well it's been raining a lot here in SD i wouldn't be surprised if someone found some refuge in the engine bay.
Yeah, I lived by the beaches in San Diego for 10 years and had mice. Not as bad as lets say the East Coast or the Midwest - but they are there and they get in there.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It may help you to discover the source of the smoking if you look for it at night with a flashlight. Daytime smoking may be hard to find unless there's lots of it.
Yukon Yellow
Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

How dirty/clean is your engine overall? I'm guessing you could have oil dripping on the exchangers cooking off and rising up between the cylinders to the air duct and then out the fan opening when the engine is off. Kind of like a corvair feature.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
911SC Tinkerer

I had a similar issue a while ago. The "triangle of death" O-rings were leaking down into the hotter section of the engine and sent whifs of smoke back up when air flow stopped. They are very hard to see under the car because the smoke is hot and rises with the air around it. No drop in oil pressure or temps, as usual, with these leaks.

Maybe take a look for the typical leaks there? Just a thought.

- Steve
Old 02-21-2019, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: