Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911 Mania

Garage
Glad the triflo worked. I find your cars color combos to be very desirable. The exterior is visually appealing as the black contrasts so nicely with the red (sorry don’t know official color name). So many 911’s, mine included have solid black (boring and cave like) interiors. Yours is different from the norm and compliments the exterior. Sport seats are a bonus too. BTW, car looks 100% better with fuchs! Glad to see the car find a good care taker, she looks fabulous!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog76S View Post
Glad the triflo worked. I find your cars color combos to be very desirable. The exterior is visually appealing as the black contrasts so nicely with the red (sorry don’t know official color name). So many 911’s, mine included have solid black (boring and cave like) interiors. Yours is different from the norm and compliments the exterior. Sport seats are a bonus too. BTW, car looks 100% better with fuchs! Glad to see the car find a good care taker, she looks fabulous!

Much appreciated. The color is a slightly faded version of wine red metallic and I agree the brown sport seat interior is great - very happy to have found this car. Can’t wait to get the Fuchs mounted up this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloer2 View Post
Much appreciated. The color is a slightly faded version of wine red metallic and I agree the brown sport seat interior is great - very happy to have found this car. Can’t wait to get the Fuchs mounted up this week!

Looks like the same color as mine. The official name I found for mine was "burnt siena metallic", which sounds incredibly pretentious.
So I call it "wine" or "maroon" in normal conversation.
I've gotten great touch up kits from Dr. Colorchip and filled dozens of nicks. Matches color perfectly.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoMoore View Post
Looks like the same color as mine. The official name I found for mine was "burnt siena metallic", which sounds incredibly pretentious.

So I call it "wine" or "maroon" in normal conversation.

I've gotten great touch up kits from Dr. Colorchip and filled dozens of nicks. Matches color perfectly.

Mine is actually weinrot metallic (code 895) but it does look very similar to yours in pics. Do you still have the sticker in the engine bay?

Sticker on the left designates paint code:

Old 03-25-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

1982 911SC Targa - my Porsche journey begins

Quick rookie question: Why does 1 lug nut on each wheel have a hole in the center? Is this an old school locking lug nut that I need to find a key for before I run up to the shop to have the tire swapped? I have googled and come up empty...

Last edited by Schloer2; 03-25-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

believe that was previously the lug nut that worked with a locking sleeve (which you look to no longer have) -- the hole allowed the sleeve to lock onto the nut - try taking it off/loosening proactively -- should come right off -- if it doesn't, further research is in order
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Mine is actually weinrot metallic (code 895) but it does look very similar to yours in pics. Do you still have the sticker in the engine bay?

Sticker on the left designates paint code:

My sticker was in the door jam 436-9-3: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/images/dto_garage/users/109272/27090.jpg
Old 03-25-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
believe that was previously the lug nut that worked with a locking sleeve (which you look to no longer have) -- the hole allowed the sleeve to lock onto the nut - try taking it off/loosening proactively -- should come right off -- if it doesn't, further research is in order
Thanks Darrin - that's what I was afraid of.

I will see if I can break them free without a key - fingers crossed!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Failing that, ask the shop if they can assist - there's a live thread on here somewhere which discusses this issue.

Jason
Old 03-25-2019, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:

Suspect you'll be just fine, ran mine like that (w/o sleeves/locks) for a few years before I replaced them with std nuts. Strongly recommend NOT going with locking lug nuts, as the only person they'lll likely deter is you, when you really NEED to get that wheel off -- seems thieves have no real issue getting around the various flavors of locking nuts available these days. FWIW
Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Suspect you'll be just fine, ran mine like that (w/o sleeves/locks) for a few years before I replaced them with std nuts. Strongly recommend NOT going with locking lug nuts, as the only person they'lll likely deter is you, when you really NEED to get that wheel off -- seems thieves have no real issue getting around the various flavors of locking nuts available these days. FWIW
Happy to hear - so they work just like regular lug nuts unless you insert a locking sleeve over the top of the one with the hole?

No plans to use locking nuts - I have the original titanium lug nuts for the Fuchs and its not often I park on sketchy streets!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

exactly -- sounds like you'll be just fine
Old 03-25-2019, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

1982 911SC Targa - my Porsche journey begins

Unfortunately one front and one rear is out of round so the Fuchs are being sent out for repair. Looks like I won’t get to have them installed until next week.

Was really looking forward to seeing the transformation after mocking this up:

Last edited by Schloer2; 03-26-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quick turnaround on the wheels - very happy with the new/old look - the ride is noticeably better with the fresh balancing and extra (less stretched) sidewall and I suspect I also shaved a little unsprung & rotational weight - now I just need to pick up some ~20mm spacers for the rear to fill out the wheel well (PM me if you have a spare set you would like to sell).

Last edited by Schloer2; 03-27-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

How concerned should I be that my passenger rear tire is ~1.5” inboard from the top of the wheel well lip when the drivers rear is only ~1.0” inboard?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Quick turnaround on the wheels - very happy with the new/old look - the ride is noticeably better with the fresh balancing and extra (less stretched) sidewall and I suspect I also shaved a little unsprung & rotational weight - now I just need to pick up some ~20mm spacers for the rear to fill out the wheel well (PM me if you have a spare set you would like to sell).

There are factory 21mm spacers available, pair those with 66mm studs(that you can install without removing the hub). Keep and eye or post an ad in the classified, should be able to get both for ~$150.

Makes a big difference in the appearance of a SC or Carrera with 7” Fuchs in the back and is wayyy cheaper than a pair of 16x8”.

Last edited by QueWhy; 03-27-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Old 03-27-2019, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueWhy View Post
There are factory 21mm spacers available, pair those with 66mm studs(that you can install without removing the hub). Keep and eye or post an ad in the classified, should be able to get both for ~$150.

Makes a big difference in the appearance of a SC or Carrera with 7” Fuchs in the back and is wayyy cheaper than a pair of 16x8”.

Thanks QW. That was my plan after seeing the prices on 8” fuchs.

Regarding the spacing difference left/right I have seen a few posts that indicate this is “normal” and was wondering if anyone is aware of a spacer set that accounts for the difference? Or if an extra 10mm on the right would screw up tracking/alignment?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

1” adapters and a jack pad show up on Tuesday.

Also have the car scheduled to get the hood painted and the rest of the paint touched up and buffed out the following week.

Today I pulled off the drivers side door card to chase a rattle. Didn’t find anything loose but did pull these two pieces out of the bottom of the door shell. Any insight into what they are and if they might be part of the rattle issue?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the top metal part came from your window regulator. It is the stop that the spring winds on. Common failure. Hopefully yours was already replaced, else you will probably want to replace the regulator. The plastic part looks like it also could be from your regulator
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Looks so much better with the Fuchs. Car looks to be in great shape.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: