Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Unless there is a trick I don't know about, you'll have to remove the motor and trans to get at the clutch. The transmission shift rod goes into the tunnel too far to remove it without the motor coming out too.
Or you could cut a passage in the tunnel sheetmetal for it to have clearance. I'm not joking, there are people that have done that.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
Unless there is a trick I don't know about, you'll have to remove the motor and trans to get at the clutch. The transmission shift rod goes into the tunnel too far to remove it without the motor coming out too.
Or you could cut a passage in the tunnel sheetmetal for it to have clearance. I'm not joking, there are people that have done that.
Yeah - unfortunately I don't have the skills/tools/time to do the clutch replacement myself so I just need to set proper expectations for the shop bill - may need to do some other upgrades / replacements "while they are in there" to spread the R&I labor cost over additional improvements.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

1982 911SC Targa - my Porsche journey begins

Pretty easy to track down the exhaust leak - the cat broke completely off behind the collector. If it can be welded I will go that route. Otherwise I need to decide whether to replace with OEM or upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Schloer2; 06-11-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Cat was an easy weld fix - guess I donít have a legit excuse to start thinking full exhaust upgrade.

Letís Go Blues!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

I don’t see that anyone chimed in on your question about the small pieces you found in your window. The white piece looks like it came from the window slider. They can come apart, very brittle with age.

Last edited by rokemester; 06-13-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
I donít see that anyone chimed in on your question about the small pieces you found in your window. The white piece looks like it came from the window slider. They can come apart, very brittle with age.

Thanks rokemester. The pieces must be remnants of an old repair since the window operates smoothly.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

I have really enjoyed my first summer of ownership but Iím look forward to some cooler fall weather driving since fixing the A/C is not at the top of the priority list. Up next will be addressing a couple leaks (oil lines in rear wheel well and trans shift fork cover plate) and trying out swepco 201.

Finally got my prototipo - amazing what a difference it makes in look and feel.

Anyone interested in the old Momo quark please shoot me a pm with an offer. In near perfect condition just not the look/feel I wanted. Will come with the Momo horn button components from the new wheel.

Last edited by Schloer2; 09-06-2019 at 08:13 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
That Prototipo look 1000 times better than the previous steering wheel.
Very nice!

Doug
1973 RSR inspired genesis powr'd by dilithium crystals (3.6 RS Vram)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

I had a couple spare hours last night so I went ahead and replaced the transmission cover plate gasket to address a leak that developed after the gear oil was changed earlier this year. Scraping off the old gasket was a pain but otherwise a pretty simple job. Filled the box with Swepco and first impressions were great on my drive to work this morning - shifting into 1st felt smooth and the slight hitch on the 1-2 gear change felt improved. Hopefully everything stays dry and I can just enjoy it for the rest of the driving season.

Unrelated glamour shot attached

Last edited by Schloer2; 10-03-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

I'm a relatively new 911 SC Targa owner too........My car has 7 & 8 x 16s on it for reference. I also took the rear wing off, I think only Turbos and wide flared cars look right with them. My car came with the original deck lid already painted. I've owned lots of cars, and lots of Porsches, but never an SC. I love it
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmo63 View Post
I'm a relatively new 911 SC Targa owner too........My car has 7 & 8 x 16s on it for reference. I also took the rear wing off, I think only Turbos and wide flared cars look right with them. My car came with the original deck lid already painted. I've owned lots of cars, and lots of Porsches, but never an SC. I love it

Great looking car Larmo - what is the paint color?

Upgrading to 8ís in the rear is definitely on my wish list. I go back and forth on the tail all the time - no tail looks cleaner but the turbo tail is part of the nostalgia for me despite looking a little out of proportion on standard SC flares.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

No one cares about an SC when you are parked next to the weird little Mazda AZ-1

Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Iím tired of looking at the sun faded paint on the top of my doors. Going to run the car up to a detailer this weekend to inquire about paint correction but I donít expect him to be able to fully restore to original color depth. As an alternative, I have been thinking about adding Brumos stripes to break up the faded area. Would love to hear some opinions of how this would look - I really like the example below but my car is a different red and a targa with a tail.

Last edited by Schloer2; 11-17-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Old 11-14-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: