Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Fatty Steering wheel grip bump removal.

Hey!
I just bought a symmetric fatty wheel for my Ď76 turbo... it needs to be recovered..I was thinking of sanding the grip bumps off first.. has anyone done this? Would I be ruining the wheel or improving it? I know fattys are rare but I have never liked nor needed the extra grip (?) those bumps provided..
The cover is off so it seemed a good idea!
Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Really? No one has thought of or done this?
Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
seems like a pretty obscure mod. Maybe give it more than 15 hours (8 of which everyone would be asleep) before shock sets in that nobody has responded. lol
Old 03-30-2019, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Lol it has already! But what else can I do with a ‘76 turbo to make it my own ?
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Are you concerned about resale value?
If modding it would mean a financial hit, I would keep it as original as possible.
There are plenty of steering wheel options out there but if this is the wheel you like, go for it.

I’m not a huge fan of (too) fat grip wheels.
They look out of place in a streetcar especially aftermarket ones with a smaller diameter. Racing drivers tend to use gloves and don’t need the extra girth of the wheel, I suppose.

If you decide to do it, maybe post a pic?
I am interested to see the result.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Red,

You would be ruining the wheel and reducing the resale value. I don't see how this is a good idea or how this "makes the 76 turbo your own". Reversible mods are a better way to make the car your own and can add improved performance. Why not drive the car with the wheel in the condition it is in now and see if the bumps get in your way.

Rahl
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I’m not a fan of the hurting the value statements. It might affect the value but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder and also the buyer. If you think it would be cool go for it. Quite honestly if you recovered the wheel I doubt most anyone would notice the difference without it being pointed out. They would simply just notice a recovered wheel.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

On my M491, it came with the mildly detestible 4-spoke wheel, needed recovering. Much as I disliked it, I cleaned the heck out of it, had the bad part repaired, conditioned it and put it in a nice plastic wrap, in a box. It'll only be used or seen if I grow nostalgic or for the next more obsessed owner.

That said, I bought a 968CS wheel for the 911, dropped in a Porsche cloissonne badge, fitted it with my horn button and love it. It's 'mine' plus I've the option of originality in a box. You might consider leaving yourself other options. Just a thought.
Porsche 914-6, '70
Audi S4 Avant V8 manual, '05
Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
Iím not a fan of the hurting the value statements. It might affect the value but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder and also the buyer. If you think it would be cool go for it. Quite honestly if you recovered the wheel I doubt most anyone would notice the difference without it being pointed out. They would simply just notice a recovered wheel.
From a different angle - these types of parts cannot be replaced. So removing and putting in a box preserves the part for someone else down the line. Cutting something up makes it very difficult to do so. Maybe it doesn't matter but eventually cars lend to get restored. It's nice if the factory parts re still around to do that. A 76 turbo is a rare and significant car.

Of course a person has the right to do whatever they want with their own property - depends if you take the consumer or custodian view of things.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Recently snagged a RUF wheel from 1987.
Just over 4" circumference, and NO grip bumps. Perfect!
(photos not mine, wheel is identical to this.)

Old 08-18-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

There are a lot of cheaper wheels to modify. No doubt you had a to pay a premium for that wheel.
Shelve it and start with a normal 3 spoke
Old 08-18-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgard View Post
Hey!
I just bought a symmetric fatty wheel for my Ď76 turbo... it needs to be recovered..I was thinking of sanding the grip bumps off first.. has anyone done this? Would I be ruining the wheel or improving it? I know fattys are rare but I have never liked nor needed the extra grip (?) those bumps provided..
The cover is off so it seemed a good idea!
Thoughts?

Ruining the wheel or improving it by removing the fatty wheel grip bumps? I liken it to either back dating an SC or front dating a long hood to a short hood (done in the 80ís). How do you view front dating a long hood now?

Yeah can do it, but significantly reduces your resale audience. Depends how you view your car? As a blank canvas to artistically manipulate With expensive mods that return pennies on the dollar or one of Your top five assets behind house, 401k and other cars? Would you paint your houses white woodwork chartreuse and black to make it your own (Iíve seen it done).

I have a fatty, but itít not installed on the car and never driven a 911 with one. Iíve read the concentric wheel reduces gauge visibility. Why buy an expensive Fatty if donít like the extra grip? If you like the concentric shape, find an old Porsche three spoke, remove the nubs and manipulate it to resemble a concentric and have Dallas Steering Wheel recover it?

Above all, drive the car and enjoy it. A 76 Turbo is a beautiful piece of art, please post a few pics.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Functionista

Drive it first. Bumps aren’t really that noticeable...

74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: