Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 M491 CV Boot Replacement Advice

I hate asking because there are so many CV threads on here already, but after reading numerous pages (including the Mega CV thread) I am still having a little bit of trouble determining the parts I need.

Details:
1984 M491 Coupe Ė 915.70 Transmission
~58,000 miles. CVís feel good, no noises.
(10mm fasteners, no moon washers, boot flanges are approx. 6.5mm thick)

Problem:
LH outer CV boot is cracked, and the others appear to be on their way. The parts manual indicates that my axle number is 930-332-037-00. The best price I can find is still crazy, and since the CVs are quiet and feel good, that route seems excessive. Ideally, I would like to pull the axles and replace all CV boots, but cannot seem to definitively locate the correct parts.

The boot PN# looks to be 901-332-293-12. (bare boot, no flange or clamps)
Is there a kit for this boot that I am overlooking, or would I just need to track down the correct Clamp Bands and Gaskets?

Not new to wrenching, and not new to Porsches, but I am new to wrenching on PorschesÖso any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fwiw, if the axle assembly price were similar to the regular Carrera part, I would probably just go that way for simplicity's sake, but this axle is a bit more than 2x as expensive.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1984 M491 CV Boot Replacement Advice

I think all the parts you need are in here:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/00004330108.htm?pn=000-043-301-08-M60

Regarding tools... break bar, 30mm socket, 17mm socket, degreaser, and patience.

Iím in the middle of this, having a hard time breaking the wheel axle hub loose...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by OneMore; 03-30-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Old 03-30-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, from reading the prior threads, I was under the impression that the "-08" suffix parts would not fit my car.

Thankfully, I don't think I have to worry about the axle hub nut as I believe my car has stub axles.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Iíd ask our sponsor to double check, just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you!

Good luck with that axle hub nut...sounds like they can be a real pain
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

All these boots attach to a flange piece, which itself is part of the stack which gets bolted to the transmission and wheel flange/hubs. The are attached in two different ways: one slips over the flange, which has a small ridge to help hold it on, and is clamped to the flange. The other has the boot crimped into the flange itself, so they are a unit and not two separate parts.

Me, I prefer the separate boot, because when one tears it is all you need to replace. You can hold the boot part in place with zip ties if you want, though various metal clamps are fine. I use a JC Whitney one size fits all boot - just cut off the pleats which are too big on one end, and too small on the other, and clamp it on. But this presupposes you have the right flanges.

Of course, you need flanges of the right size - 8 vs 10 mm bolts, and the right bolt circle diameter. If all you can get are the crimped together one piece boots, then that's the way to go.

At some point - Dempsey in his 101 Projects book says 1985 - Porsche friction welded the outer CV to the wheel stub axle flange. On these models, guys typically I think buy the preassembled whole axle assembly. This is the one where you have to remove the high torque nut on stub axle so you can pull the whole assembly out. For shops this is great - no mucking around with greasing CVs and so on, very quick. For the rest of us, not so much - axles can easily last the life of the car. CVs can be disassembled, inspected, flipped this way or that to move the wear spots if not damaged, regreased, and reused for quite a long life. Only costs are the boot or boots which need replacing, and some grease. While many will disagree, you don't need moon plates, but those last forever, and you don't need Schnorr washers, or even any washers at all, and you can reuse your bolts as long as you haven't buggered the in-hex.

I know there are posts on much of this, though there has been quite a bit of variation over the years in some important details. A 1974, for instance, used a 4 10mm bolt CV with two dowel pins (if I have that right). My 1977, and the SCs, used 6 8mm bolts. The 3.2s switched to 10mm bolts again (at least I think they did). And then there are the 964s and 993s. Perhaps a search here would reveal a compendium of all these changes? Some of this stuff is easy enough to remember - the torque on the 8mm bolts is 34 lbs/ft, while on the 10mm ones it is 61 lbs/ft. Wayne's book, at least the 1st edition I have, lists the proper torque for the bolt sizes, but would have you believe that mid-range cars like the SC had 10mm bolts when they in fact have 8s. But other details are hard to remember if you aren't a shop parts guy.

I would like to know a source of 8mm bolt two piece flange/boot assemblies. The last ones I bought some years ago had a thick steel disk inside the flange, which I could pry out to make the assembly lighter for my race car. Since then I have only seen the one piecers advertised. The parts referenced in this discussion are for the two piece flange, but without the flange, so won't work unless you already have the flanges.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Walt

Iíve read nearly all those CV threads, but it seems hard for folks that have experience with them to distill it all down...let alone a noob like me...

Iíve wondered if I might have to disassemble the things to get enough info to order parts, but really didnít want to have the car down for that long...

Last edited by Quasimoto; 03-30-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The EMPI VW kits have better bellows; 4 folds of rubber boot compared to three folds for OEM Porsche, they have the fold lock type clamps, the stickiest grease imaginable and they work just fine on GKN CV axles

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 03-30-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Maybe slightly more than you're looking for, as you intend to reuse your existing CV joints, but about 10 years ago on my '87 Turbo, I had 3 of the 4 boots torn, and decided to replace both the boots and CV joints (after all, the labor's the same at that point). I balked at the $500 or so price for a complete axle assembly (x2), so I purchased the rebuild kit from here (part 911-332-923-01-M60) for about $80 (x2). That kit fits '85-'89, so not sure if there's a different but equivalent one for your '84. But with my rudimentary skills and tools, I think it took an afternoon with the help of another Pelican, and about half a roll of paper towels. I also purchased new CV joint axle bolts, at the advice of others on this board.

Last edited by Noah930; 03-30-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Old 03-30-2019, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_gear_Ted View Post
The EMPI VW kits have better bellows...
Was looking at those yesterday and wondering if they might me a good option. Iíll investigate further, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Maybe slightly more than you're looking for, as you intend to reuse your existing CV joints....
I think thatís exactly the approach I want to take, but canít seem to find a kit for my particular car. I think I can roll my own from the parts list, but my lack of knowledge is just making it take a little longer than expected...
Old 03-31-2019, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Minor update as a data point for those reading CV threads. Finally got the car back on the lift to do a torque check after a few hundred miles on the road. All were still snug...huzzah!

This is one of those rare occasions where too much reading can cause anxiety rather than calm it, lol.

It does sound like the larger 930 type axles are easier to get a good result on though. In my case I used new 10mm capscrews, scrupulously cleaned the holes with brake clean, a tiny bit of Hondabond to hold the gaskets in place, no washers, and 60lb*ft...
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just did this too on a 87 Carrera (not M491). Summary:

Six 10mm bolts, torqued to 60 lb-ft
EMPI bellow boots ($10 each at Pelican)
No gasket was found, no gasket was put back
Half moons were used, bolts cleaned and re-used.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelcab1 View Post
I just did this too on a 87 Carrera (not M491). Summary:

Six 10mm bolts, torqued to 60 lb-ft
EMPI bellow boots ($10 each at Pelican)
No gasket was found, no gasket was put back
Half moons were used, bolts cleaned and re-used.
I did one axle on my 87 carrera this year as well and re-booted both sides. Had to have it pressed off though. **** would not come out with a hammer.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: