Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy steering not firm

1987 carrera...
before dismantling the steering wheel from its base...i would like to hear from you first...
When I hold my steering wheel with both hands and shake it up and down or side to side, the whole column moves approx 1/4 of an inch. however turning left or right there is no gap, the turning itself is tight! Any opinions as to the source of the issue?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There's a bushing in there, it's probably shot. There was a Pelican (Leland?) making stiffer replacement bushings a few years ago. I put one on my car and it works as intended.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What Cory said - Mitch Leland steering bushing, right here on Pelican for $30.00 -

Steering Column Support Bushing, Self-Lubricating Nylon, 911/911 Turbo, (1974-89)
Part #: PEL-ML-STR

I have one as well - it works great.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yep -- here's a link -- https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELMLSTR.htm?pn=PEL-ML-STR

be sure to take a bit of time once the wheel/old bushing's off to pick/push out any of the bits of disintegrating old/original bushing that you can find.

I had what sounds to be exactly the same problem with my '86 and this bushing completely resolved it for me
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did this just on the weekend. Takes 20 minutes to fix. Make sure you get /have a 27mm socket before doing the work. Maybe also disconnect your horn or battery unless you want the whole neighbourhood to know you are working on the steering wheel.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
To make it easy for reinstalling the steering wheel, I marked mine with a marker. It's easy to get it one tooth off.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
steering movement

Thanks guys...Mitch Leland bushing ordered from our host.
Would love to read the instructions if someone has one to share...
Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Search within the forum “steering wheel bushing” or Google “Porsche steering wheel bushing Pelican.” There are a number of helpful hints largely pertaining to assuring that all of the old bushing is removed before placing the new bushing. Not doing so will lead to an ill-fitting bushing and having to dig out the remainders of the old bushing that have been tamped down. I have links buried somewhere, but a search should get you where you need to be.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbfEVsu6dvI
Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post
Did this just on the weekend. Takes 20 minutes to fix. Make sure you get /have a 27mm socket before doing the work. Maybe also disconnect your horn or battery unless you want the whole neighbourhood to know you are working on the steering wheel.
Pulling the relay in the frunk fusebox is the easiest way to go.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
steering not firm

1987 carrera...thanks for your support! just finished installing Mitch Leland bushing.
the Video was excellent making the work easy and fast. BTW, I used my vac. cleaner to get rid of all plastic particles.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Give your self a treat ! Install some turbo tie rod ends , Wow what a difference !
Hank Clarkson ,Craig Waldner ,Don Kean ,Leroy Axel Gains
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
steering movement

I have the turbo tie rods for over 10 years now...thanks for suggesting
Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: