Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I'm really digging those wheels. Whos are they? The gold 5 spokes in post #5.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethg View Post
I'm really digging those wheels. Whos are they? The gold 5 spokes in post #5.
They are Ronal R9’s. Here’s my frog. Welcome to the club, Gabe!

Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3literpwr View Post
That looks like a perfect candidate to be welded as JB weld will never be a long term fix. This is a non structural area and is like welding any aluminum oil pan. Do a search for "welded oil pan" and sleep better tonight.
For sure! Still have to take the damn thing apart though. I got the engine out of the car and torn down over the weekend. Just need to catch the thread up to where I'm at currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbachman View Post
They are Ronal R9’s. Here’s my frog. Welcome to the club, Gabe!
Thanks! Looking forward to the Avocado progressing. Just added you on Instagram. Nice to see a fellow Moss Green in LA.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Once we got the car off the truck we rolled it into the garage:

It arrived on a Date night, so my wife and I had to leave right after we got the car into the garage. Tearing into it would have to wait another day...

The first thing I wanted to do was clean it up. It was filthy from the trip from Kentucky and had adhesive residue from the coverings on the windshield and driverside window. I started off with goo gone which worked well but some of the tougher stuff needed isopropyl alcohol. I think eventually most of the car will be repainted so it's still not fully removed, definitely enough to not make me cringe when I looked at it. After that, I rolled it outside to give it a wash. Had a few neighbors walk by and they all loved the color. Man, we live in a great neighborhood

I really had no idea how bad of a flood this was in. It was fortunately freshwater so it's not too bad, just really dirty.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

It's nice to see a proper project around here again. My car is black, and it looks great, but I truly wish it was a dark green and think about wrapping it all the time.

Restoration? Hot rod? Backdate?

What's your plan for the body work? As someone who found a massive surprise behind the dash of an otherwise great-looking car bought sight-unseen, I highly recommend you don't screw around here. It'll cost you a grand to get it on a Cilette bench (none other will do—ask me how I know), but I would want to know exactly what I was about to sink my time and money into before I did.

There are a lot of ways to go with a motor, particularly if you're willing to do this kind of work yourself. It's hard to beat the instant torque of a 3.6, but the bang for buck seems to be a modern 3.2 turbo setup (or so I've read). In California, you'll have to contend with smog, so if you want to register it here, I'd keep it stock, stock, stock.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
It's nice to see a proper project around here again. My car is black, and it looks great, but I truly wish it was a dark green and think about wrapping it all the time.

Restoration? Hot rod? Backdate?

What's your plan for the body work? As someone who found a massive surprise behind the dash of an otherwise great-looking car bought sight-unseen, I highly recommend you don't screw around here. It'll cost you a grand to get it on a Cilette bench (none other will do—ask me how I know), but I would want to know exactly what I was about to sink my time and money into before I did.

There are a lot of ways to go with a motor, particularly if you're willing to do this kind of work yourself. It's hard to beat the instant torque of a 3.6, but the bang for buck seems to be a modern 3.2 turbo setup (or so I've read). In California, you'll have to contend with smog, so if you want to register it here, I'd keep it stock, stock, stock.
Yea, the Green was a huge turn on. I can see why you'd like to wrap your car!

Definitely a hot-rod. Keep the bodywork near OE with a hopped up engine, suspension, and wheels/tires. It will spend time on track, autocross, canyon runs, and road trips.

Did you have your 911 put on a Celette in Los Angeles? If so, where'd you go?

I'd like a 3.6 swap but I think that's only possible if I can sell the existing 3.2 for a sum. I'm ok with a core that needs to be rebuilt, they just seem tough to find with my endless searching. For now, I'll probably work on getting the 3.2 in good shape, put it up for sale and keep my eyeballs peeled for a 3.6.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
You might make more money if you part out the motor rather than selling it either as either a core or a rebuilt engine.
I'd tear it down and at least have the crankshaft inspected.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Fahren mit dem Wind.

Garage
Coups and Targas - here's my MGM cab:

Caregiver to:
1983 911 SC Cabriolet - Fahern mit dem Wind.
(Moss Green Metallic over Champagne and Brown Leather)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Welcome Gabe. One thing no Pelican will ever pass up, is an opportunity to share a picture of their car. Thanks for introducing us to the the story of the little avocado that could. Will definitely keep an eye out for her here.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
You might make more money if you part out the motor rather than selling it either as either a core or a rebuilt engine.
I'd tear it down and at least have the crankshaft inspected.
That's true, downside to parting it out is that it may take a while to recoup the funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
Coups and Targas - here's my MGM cab:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren-TAG View Post
Welcome Gabe. One thing no Pelican will ever pass up, is an opportunity to share a picture of their car. Thanks for introducing us to the the story of the little avocado that could. Will definitely keep an eye out for her here.
"The story of the little avocado that could" Love that!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Time for another update. Still working to bring the thread current...

At this point, I'm still working on a little automotive archaeology.

The interior is coming out. Seats, carpet, door cards, center console, wiring harness, dash, and headliner so that the whole thing can be pressure washed and any remainder of dirt/sand/debris can be removed from the shell.

Went from a full interior to this:

And then this:

Old 05-25-2019, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Having used a TIG a couple of times I can tell you that the crack can be repaired. And if the welder is skilled, careful, and takes some time it might even be undetectable. (with a careful polish)

Problem is, you need to disassemble the motor to do it correctly. Probably not what you want to hear, but on the positive side a fresh motor is a good thing.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

In the first post I mentioned that my wife and I had bought a house. We're first time home buyers and as such, this is the first garage that I can truly call ours.

I've always wanted some sort of lift to make everything about working on a car easier. This garage isn't huge nor tall so either a low-rise or mid-rise lift would fit the bill.

Along the way I found a Facebook Marketplace listing for a Bendpak LR-60 that was missing the power unit. Reached out to the guy and worked out a day to go pick it up. The lift was up in Ojai which is about 60-90 minutes from Los Angeles. It was a beautiful drive and I took the PCH back home to stop at Neptunes Net for a fish sandwich. Having a truck is great! Makes it a lot easier to follow-through on suspect decisions.

The guy I bought it from had a lot of heavy equipment so we used a backhoe to load it into my truck. Getting it out was a different story. I used an engine hoist from the side but also had to jack the truck up because the lift was so heavy it made the suspension ride on the bump stops. In the end, I got it removed and made a timelapse of the process:

https://youtu.be/ZicJu16OqCA

I purchased a new power unit and got it hooked up. The first lift of the Porsche was glorious! Makes the process of lifting up the car much easier.

https://youtu.be/3uhI-qkzVQM

Plenty of clearance to get the engine out!

Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Having used a TIG a couple of times I can tell you that the crack can be repaired. And if the welder is skilled, careful, and takes some time it might even be undetectable. (with a careful polish)

Problem is, you need to disassemble the motor to do it correctly. Probably not what you want to hear, but on the positive side a fresh motor is a good thing.
Yep, started a separate thread on just the engine a while back. Disassembly and full rebuild is the plan. I'm just debating whether to get it welded or pick up a case half and having it align bored. I think either repair is sufficient but if I ever go to sell this engine it's probably better to have a case that wasn't repaired.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Gabe... for a flooded car, doesn't look bad to me. (Case is another story.) Nice project.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Love that truck.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

subscribed
Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Hows this one coming along?
love reading this thread
Old 08-11-2019, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Gabe... for a flooded car, doesn't look bad to me. (Case is another story.) Nice project.
I am right there with you. Was just really dirty more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Love that truck.
Thanks! I do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
subscribed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkx View Post
Hows this one coming along?
love reading this thread
Thanks for motivating me to get some progress posted...
Old 08-11-2019, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Had to go back to the picture archive to continue bringing this thread current... A string of family in town, birthdays, and working on our house has made progress on the 911 a little slow.

Once I got the lift installed, my next task was to get the engine out, clean it, disassemble it, and figure out a plan of attack for the rebuild.

This was my first time removing an air-cooled engine from a Porsche (or an air-cooled from any car really) and it didn't take long at all. Doubly so with this lift!

If there is anything I can tell you about taking this car apart, is that the whole thing really needed to be disassembled to be cleaned. It just has dirt everywhere!

After a quick vacuum...

And then pressure washed...

And the main reason for removal and disassembly, the crack in the engine case

Old 08-11-2019, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: