Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Morning everyone!

Hope you all are staying safe and healthy out there. Here in LA we've been practicing the "safer at home" and social distancing for a while now. We've also just had it officially extended until May 15th...

I work from home so my life hasn't been altered too much on a day to day basis but the lack of free will to go out and do whatever you feel like has taken some getting used to.

I've been able to spend a TON of time in the garage and was able to finish up all the bodywork, which is what I'll take you through in this update.

All in all, it was about 24 days between buying the stud welder, smacking out dents, filler, prime, sanding, and then laying down paint. At the moment I'm waiting on some 1500 and 2000 grit 6" hook and loop sanding discs for my DA to polish things up before moving onto reassembly.

Here's a shot of the front bumper polished up: https://youtu.be/oosybF8i9RU

I can't wait to start putting this car back together!

These two dents were the worst that were on the car. I used the stud welder on this fender but what ultimately was the most helpful was working the dent with an Air Hammer and Dolly. My limbs were sore from that work out!

This dent was all using the stud puller. After this the dents received filler and a lot of sanding.

Filler and primer:

More filler/sanding:

In primer and taped up:

Paint laid down:

Tape removed!

And rolled outside to "bake" and see what it looks like.

From here we'll be wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit before compounding/polishing the whole car.

This is a major milestone! I've been lacking motivation to do this bodywork since I bought the car. It's messy and uncertain work and requires so much problem solving and decision making. It was a good reminder to just dive in and figure things out and that with time you'll get through it.

Even with cleaning along the way my garage is filthy from all the sanding dust and clear coat overspray. I'm looking forward to this part being done so that I can deep clean the garage and reassembly on the car can commence!

Last edited by Gabe.; 04-11-2020 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-11-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

That color is...so good.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

Great workmanship and loving the color too.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow, this Moss Green coupe is going to look spectacular very soon! I enjoy following along on your thread. Thanks for the posts.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Registered

The speed at which you can do all this is amazing, as is your skill-set, good on ya!
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 04-12-2020, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
That color is...so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Great workmanship and loving the color too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySnakePMC View Post
Wow, this Moss Green coupe is going to look spectacular very soon! I enjoy following along on your thread. Thanks for the posts.
Hell yea! Glad you all agree, seems to be hit or miss for some. The Moss Green is a beauty on this car. Really shows the curves.

Thanks for following along, it keeps me motivated to keep moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
The speed at which you can do all this is amazing, as is your skill-set, good on ya!
Lol and here I felt like I was going pretty slow. Thanks for the kind words! I feel like I didn't do as much as I could have last summer. I should have started on the bodywork at that point but was really avoiding it because it's messy and dirty work.

In other news... UPDATES!

I spent 7 hours on Saturday wetsanding and 6 hours on Sunday compounding, polishing, sealing, and waxing the car. It looks MINT!

My arms and shoulders are still recovering and felt like they were going to fall off. The candle was burning at both ends all weekend long.

Side note, does anyone know what that aluminum bracket on the passenger side front bumper is between the oil cooler and bumper cover is for? Really makes the bumper installation require a specific order. I took the bumper cover on/off 3 times for different reasons before just deciding to remove the bracket to get the turn signals on.

Anyways, onto pics:

Like I mentioned earlier, this was a messy task. Can't wait to clean/reorganize the garage before moving onto whatever is next

Until next time...

Last edited by Gabe.; 04-15-2020 at 07:08 AM..
Old 04-14-2020, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

JED

Garage
NICE WORK!
Do you mind sharing the paint source? Brand?
My project Targa been waiting for Moss green for a long time.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

"Side note, does anyone know what that aluminum bracket on the passenger side front bumper is between the oil cooler and bumper cover is for?"

Horn bracket? Not much else on the passenger side...

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2020, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixed76 View Post
"Side note, does anyone know what that aluminum bracket on the passenger side front bumper is between the oil cooler and bumper cover is for?"

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
That's what I'm thinking as well.
The only two things in that corner of my car are the oil cooler and horns.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 04-15-2020, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCSinAK View Post
NICE WORK!
Do you mind sharing the paint source? Brand?
My project Targa been waiting for Moss green for a long time.
The paint code is L20C. One of the local paint supply stores I go to uses Sherwin-Williams Dimension. It was a great match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixed76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
That's what I'm thinking as well.
The only two things in that corner of my car are the oil cooler and horns.
Here's the bracket I'm talking about. Bolts to the passenger side of the bumper cover and sticks out along the bellows and rear trim piece.

It doesn't really serve an obvious purpose to me besides getting in the way, which is why I asked. Might have been removed from a lot of cars along the way because of that reason.

Giving it the bird because it shouldn't take ~3 hours to put a front bumper on...

Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Schleprock

whoops Gabe beat me to it

It’s an anodized bracket that mimics the shape of the bumper. I agree it’s a nuisance when dealing with the bumper lights

I suppose the Porsche designers felt it would provide extra protection for the oil cooler in an impact? I don’t think it’s going to save the oil cooler except in a light tap of the bumper. Here’s a few pictures from my ‘86 911

Sorry for the sideways phone pics. You have to rotate the pictures 90 degrees clockwise to view them in the upright position

Last edited by KTL; 04-15-2020 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Redundant info
Old 04-15-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Awesome thread. Rando question, is there a reason you didn't clean up the cylinders before installing them? So much of your engine is clean/refurbished but you left them looking dirty and corroded. Any reason not to clean them?

Also, did you paint this in your garage? I didn't see a temp tent setup or anything, and it doesn't look like there is much room.

Last edited by ADDvanced; 04-15-2020 at 07:53 AM..
Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
whoops Gabe beat me to it

Itís an anodized bracket that mimics the shape of the bumper. I agree itís a nuisance when dealing with the bumper lights

I suppose the Porsche designers felt it would provide extra protection for the oil cooler in an impact? I donít think itís going to save the oil cooler except in a light tap of the bumper. Hereís a few pictures from my Ď86 911
Yea, I kinda thought that too and it maybe makes sense. That also moves a giant aluminum bracket an inch closer to the oil cooler, which could make any accident worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Awesome thread. Rando question, is there a reason you didn't clean up the cylinders before installing them? So much of your engine is clean/refurbished but you left them looking dirty and corroded. Any reason not to clean them?

Also, did you paint this in your garage? I didn't see a temp tent setup or anything, and it doesn't look like there is much room.
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying following along.

Everything was cleaned prior to assembly but not everything was bead blasted to make the exterior look brand new. I didn't have the equipment to do any bead blasting until after I had most of the engine assembled. That probably answers the why...

If I had the equipment I probably would have done the cylinders, cam housings, and timing chain covers but probably not the case. I wouldn't want any glass beads where they shouldn't be, in the oil passages. Most of those are covered by the steel air flow tins, valve covers, or the fan shroud though which means none of it's really visible. So maybe it comes down to function over form, time, and mess?

Yep, I did paint the car in my garage. It's a standard two-car 20x20. I covered the walls in plastic sheeting from home depot. Most garage paint jobs can suffer from dust, poor lighting, and poor equipment setup. Surprisingly, the dust was minimal but the lighting and my spray gun setup were suboptimal, because of that the clear coat came out with more orange peel which made the wetsanding and compounding take forever to fix it.

It's still not perfect but that means I'm not afraid to drive the car, which is it's purpose.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

WEEKEND UPDATE!!

Ok, that was probably more intense than it needed to be... but I did hit some milestones that are worth noting.

Thursday was spent cleaning all the interior bits, gluing in carpets, and reinstalling the seats. What's left are door cards, center console, and cleaning the gauges. I'll probably be taking the drivers seat out to mount the ECU but damn did it feel good to sit in the car again. It's been well over a year since I've done that and my wife caught that moment on camera.

The interior on this car is Grey-Beige and the seats are in really good shape. I think they were recently recovered at some point prior to my ownership.

I don't know which model Momo steering wheel this is but I love it. Feels great in the hands and is not uber modern. I also have a dead pedal to reinstall that matches all the pedals. Waiting on that until I finish the wiring harness installation.

Saturday was spent cleaning/degreasing the transmission and getting it mated to the engine.

Scrolling through all my pics, I never took one of the transmission on it's own. Had to go back to April 2019 to find even one good shot of it. Filthy:

After hitting it with degreaser, scrubbing, and pressure washing it, it turned out pretty well! In moving it around I also had some blue fluid leak out the vent cap so it's nice to know it had Swepco fluid in it. Confirms some of my suspicions that this car was well maintained in it's previous life.

With the engine and trans finally mated, I took some beauties and then rolled it under the car for wiring mockup.

Sunday I went to go pickup a used 964 windshield that ended up having some giant cracks in it so I'm back to the drawing board on a windshield. I've heard that Mygrant Glass is a local wholesale supplier of OEM glass but idk if they'll sell retail. Does anyone have any ideas on that front other than Safelite?

At this point, I've started to lose some steam on the project. I'm up against some new things again and I'm tired. The wiring harness build is a *little* daunting when I start comparing what my results may be to the likes of Rasant or others, it's not fair to compare myself to them but it's still demotivating. I've done wiring harnesses before but this is my first time doing a complete standalone harness from scratch.

I know I have nothing to do but dive in but is it smart to seek some guidance? Maybe go through the HP Academy courses? How have you guys been able to get over the humps and keep it moving forward?

My next birthday is in the middle of May and it would be AMAZING if I had the chance to drive my car by then.

On a happy/nostalgic note, my parents are doing some spring cleaning in the consideration of moving soon. In the process of going through boxes they found some old drawings of mine. Does this one look familiar?! I was probably between 8-12 when I drew this.

As always, thanks for tuning in!
Old 04-20-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Gabe,

You're right where I was 2-3 months ago with wiring. I elected to figure out where I wanted the ECU and build the harness based on that. Terminating the harness and routing the wires isn't super terrible. I really like what Jeff (MFX or HomeBuilt by Jeff on YouTube) has done with his wiring harness. Super slick how he's got 2 bulkheads in the engine bay to make engine removal a piece of cake. Mine is a bit less eloquent, but still I put the focus on being tidy once installed and on being easy to remove.
In the end, I ended up breaking it into smaller chunks. Wiring up a complete EFI harness is a lot. Wiring the COPs, or even just one bank thereof is much less so. Compartmentalize it and you'll find it's much less daunting.
And just accept now that you'll make a mistake or two. Those guys at Rasant are years and years into building harnesses for these cars. They've got loads of experience. You're 100% right to strive for greatness, but need to bear in mind that you may not get there the first time.

When my motivation ebbs, I either break a large task into several smaller tasks or I take on a smaller task that I know I can manage quickly...and hopefully well. Build off the little victories until you're back at full speed. I was able to reach the milestone of first start in the last few days, but the alternator had crapped the bed. So rather than get too bummed out, I started working on the interior. Just a panel or two at a time. Small victories to keep my head in the right frame of mind...and to keep moving forward. I will drive my car soon. So for me to do that, I can't stop just because of a setback. I have to find other ways to maintain forward momentum.

And if all else fails, DM me your mobile number and I'll send you bewbs or memes. Those always seem to brighten my day.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe.

At this point, I've started to lose some steam on the project.
how well we understand.
get a beer (or two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe.

My next birthday is in the middle of May and it would be AMAZING if I had the chance to drive my car by then.
there you have your motivation!
Old 04-22-2020, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Gabe,

You're right where I was 2-3 months ago with wiring. I elected to figure out where I wanted the ECU and build the harness based on that. Terminating the harness and routing the wires isn't super terrible. I really like what Jeff (MFX or HomeBuilt by Jeff on YouTube) has done with his wiring harness. Super slick how he's got 2 bulkheads in the engine bay to make engine removal a piece of cake. Mine is a bit less eloquent, but still I put the focus on being tidy once installed and on being easy to remove.
In the end, I ended up breaking it into smaller chunks. Wiring up a complete EFI harness is a lot. Wiring the COPs, or even just one bank thereof is much less so. Compartmentalize it and you'll find it's much less daunting.
And just accept now that you'll make a mistake or two. Those guys at Rasant are years and years into building harnesses for these cars. They've got loads of experience. You're 100% right to strive for greatness, but need to bear in mind that you may not get there the first time.

When my motivation ebbs, I either break a large task into several smaller tasks or I take on a smaller task that I know I can manage quickly...and hopefully well. Build off the little victories until you're back at full speed. I was able to reach the milestone of first start in the last few days, but the alternator had crapped the bed. So rather than get too bummed out, I started working on the interior. Just a panel or two at a time. Small victories to keep my head in the right frame of mind...and to keep moving forward. I will drive my car soon. So for me to do that, I can't stop just because of a setback. I have to find other ways to maintain forward momentum.

And if all else fails, DM me your mobile number and I'll send you bewbs or memes. Those always seem to brighten my day.
Hey Chris, those are some pretty great ideas. I'm also going to take you up on the motivational messages, least of which with you just doing some of this you might have some good answers for me. I'll hit you up on instagram.

Seeing you get your car started last week is what motivated me to start working on this initially. Now that I'm doing it I'm really not that far off. Just need to pick up some extra wiring bits and fueling and I should be really close to that first fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
how well we understand.
get a beer (or two)

there you have your motivation!
Haha, it's the truth. I have pretty wild motivational swings within a day.

So taking Chris' advice, I broke out all of my wiring stuff. I'm going to work on my ignition and injection circuits first because they are on the same harness from the ECU. I need to get the AMP Seal pin removal tool, it's a smaller diameter than the weatherpack tool and I'll be able to remove all the extra stuff, this harness is currently wired for an 8 cylinder.

I also test fit the ecu under my driver seat and ran the wiring harness to make sure that it was long enough to reach all the places it needs to go. It might be a little short for the Cylinder #4, lower ignition coil if I run the wiring in the same spot as the original harness. We'll see.

That meant mounting the engine into the bay. This lift made it pretty easy!

It was nice to see the car on the ground without the hideous wheel gap. Still more weight to be added but it's getting there!

Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Looks great!
A fairly wise, but unruly friend once told me:
It's a big elephant. You don't need to eat it all in one sitting.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wait, are you keeping the AC system but you ditched all the heat?

Lol.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Looks great!
A fairly wise, but unruly friend once told me:
It's a big elephant. You don't need to eat it all in one sitting.
Indeed Chris, it's a weird analogy, but indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Wait, are you keeping the AC system but you ditched all the heat?

Lol.
Nope, planning to have both! I have billy boat headers which still have heat exchangers.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: