Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy gas smell

1987 carrera
when I start the car, a strong gas smell is apparent in the garage.
There is no leak that I can see, floor is dry...just wondering where does it come from?
never had it a month ago... any opinions?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What about BEFORE you start the car? Any odor? Maybe run the fuel pump for a brief time without starting the car, with engine bay open check for any leaks ... lines/filter connections. If you are starting the car in the garage, maybe just due to rich cold starting mixture?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Start by Looking at the pan below the fuel pump and tank. I had to replace the high pressure side. Some good posts on how to fix that without replacing entire line

'86 Carrera Targa
'12 FLTKH
Old 04-08-2019, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A drop or 2 of gas will generate a lot of odor. Check in the front trunk for all the couplings. Did you recently fill the tank?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No telling. The PO of my car farked the vent hose. Once I finally understood what had happened, I was able to replace the gose and no more smell
Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dar636

Garage
if you don't find any leaks stop using fuel with ethanol additives. The older fuel hoses are permeable to ethanol fuels. Try it...
Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Check the hose on the inside left fender that connects to the expansion tank.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
gas smell

mo mon, how do you reach to see the hose?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Just take a peek (w/ a flashlight) inside the wheel arch- top of the left front tire towards the body. You will see a cloth covered hose that connects to the outside expansion tank. That expansion tank is behind the headlight, on top of the windshield water tank.

Being that close, you will smell gas if there is a leak.

Last edited by mo-mon; 04-09-2019 at 02:06 AM..
Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had the same, no drips on the garage floor. Turns out the plug on the bottom of the tank wasn't sealed properly and was weeping ever so slightly. Not enough to actually drip, but enough make a small portion damp and for me to notice the smell. Resealing the plug solved the problem.

Another time I simply had to replace the original rubber hose leading to the expansion tank that had cracked. Again, not enough to drip but enough to make the cloth braid slightly damp and to smell.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Do you smell it inside the car or just in the garage?

I can't speak for the newer models like your 87 but in my 79 there is a vent line that runs through the tunnel front to rear. Mine had a crack and there was a strong smell of gas.

If nothing is on the floor, it could be a vent line with nothing but fumes being released.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5
Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
gas smell

Hi all,
I went methodically to all potential locations that might be the small source...
none showed sign of the smell...but I did determine that the smell comes from the exhaust at the starting point where the initial engine rpm is 1200.
My conclusion is that the engine runs rich for a short while...what do you think?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you don't have a gas smell with the car sitting it might just be the unburned gas when you start it up.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Exclamation Fuel smell source from fuel pump

Hi All;

After many months of faintly smelling gas around my 83 911sc I decided to check the are around the fuel pump. Ran the car up on ramps and removed the plate covering the fuel pump. The area was stuffed with pine needles and leaking gas from the line between the pump and gas tank. I could squeeze the line and it would drip gas. It looked to be the old style German cloth wrapped line so I replaced it with a modern US fuel line that is more resistant to alcohol in the gas.

This was a fire waiting to start. Not real crazy about a fuel pump that close to a tank. The lesson is that if you smell gas you have a leak plain and simple.

Look at that fuel pump closely!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
are the emissions vapor hoses in the trunk old, brown & hard?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

32 YEAR OLD FUEL HOSES.....

The symptoms of a gas smell should give you concern.

David - I can help.

Len.Cummings at verizon.net

Old 06-17-2019, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: