Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Winner of best air cooled Porsche – 2019 Amelia Island – Festivals of Speed

Shout out to Sol at Perfect Power for an amazing build.
Link to pictures of 4.1L Beast
https://perfectpowerinc.com/

Old 04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gduke2010

Garage
Congradulations, Sol. Great guy, his shop is impressive. Perfect Power worked on my car while I lived in the Midwest.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, me and some pals ambled the greens at Amelia on Porsche day and even among eye candy every 8 feet, this car stood out.

Of course, it's all the stuff you guys know and can tell in the pics: color, stance, details, but standing in front of it just gives you chills. It's got a presence about it. I can only imagine the hours spent getting to this point.

It'd be even more fun to see 'build' pics (before) prior to being the well-deserving winner. I will say, I probably had 15 cars in my personal Top 5, so judging would've been tough. Congrats!
Porsche 914-6, '70
Audi S4 Avant V8 manual, '05
Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The only thing that bothers me about this build is the air intake.

The filter assembly, which is static, mated to the engine, which will move. There's a reason manufacturers use accordion hoses and rubber mounts for air boxes.

Clean, but not very well planned. Unless I am missing a floating device on the bottom of the lid, it will open up under load and allow unfiltered air into the engine.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, that dragon kind of kills it for me. Like a velvet painting of Elvis over your bed.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I don’t like to get involved in arguments but every now and then I’ll be called out and I have to defend myself. The car that we’re talking about in this post had a lot of thought put into almost every part of it. The air intake was not designed as a style item but designed to ensure that only outside air gets into the engine especially when the forward part of the engine compartment can become extremely hot quickly with poor flow. So building an air filter and cold air intake into the same tail and then forcing it into the GT3 plenum was a bit of a challenge. Many hours making of the pieces fit perfectly were spent by Andrew. When he was done I came up with a two-piece O-ring system to seal it when it was closed. The bottom O-ring is a round cross-section of softer durometer. The top O-ring sits on top of the round one with an ‘X’ cross-section that the aluminum anodized upper funnel fits perfectly into. Keep in mind the deck with hinges prevent any for an after movement and the rear rubber latches allow a certain amount of float on the deck lid and so the Plenum piece is mounted to the Plenum with rubber hose the aluminum final seals over the plastic piece on the rubber O-rings everything else is on hinges are rubber. I hope that gets you back on your good side offroader1006��
As for the dragon, I have no excuses! I’ve been teased about it to no end but a friend of mine, Jim Brando, did it and it’s an original piece of art done right on the carbon fiber. If it’s enough to stop someone from buying the car we can easily remove it! Hope that gets you back to where you are considering buying the car again, starless��
I will post some pictures when I have a chance.
By the way, for those of you have something nice to say, thank you very much it’s greatly appreciated. You know how much work went into this car, from the engine to the door windows!

Last edited by PerfectPower; 04-10-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-10-2019, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
I didn’t even read any of the grief above. I just wanted to say that the car looks amazing! Congrats on the win!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

It was only a matter of time before I would see this on the boards . Congratulations on the win again Sol.... next level stuff right there!

I was lucky enough to have been able to sit down and chat with Sol when I was in Chicago last year. Seeing the RSR build in person was stunning, the attention to detail and all the custom work was very impressive. I wish I took some photos, but I was just soaking everything in. Hopefully i'll be able to swing by sometime again and see it in all its glory now!

Here's just a few photos I was able to dig up from Sol during the build:

Oh, if you're on Instagram, check out @perfpow and the hashtag #ppsr41 for some more photos and videos of it
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful car. Would love to hear the exhaust on that motor....
Yukon Yellow
Old 04-10-2019, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
Beautiful car. Would love to hear the exhaust on that motor....
As Eric said if you go to my Instagram page Perfpow and you go to #PPSR41 You can see and hear it run. The sound is quite different than any other 9/11 you’ve heard, unless you have heard a 4.1 with straight-cut intermediate shaft gears before! It sounds like it has a supercharger on it.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong, beautiful car and the dragon is very well done also, just didn't expect it under the hood. Just a little over the top for my taste.
I'll be down next week for a pre-purchase test drive.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Pictures of the 4.1L with the custom intake please
Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Click the link in the first post
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brap

Garage
Looks amazing. Can we hear more about that motor build?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
OK, that dragon kind of kills it for me. Like a velvet painting of Elvis over your bed.
^
To each their own...but I could not agree more.....
Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Don't get me wrong, beautiful car and the dragon is very well done also, just didn't expect it under the hood. Just a little over the top for my taste.
I'll be down next week for a pre-purchase test drive.
I’ll have the gas tank full. Bring your checkbook👍🏼
Old 04-11-2019, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That attention to detail is amazing. I can only imagine the amount of time and custom fabrication that went into this.
I'd love to learn about the details on the 4.1 - hp, rev range, torque, etc.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPower View Post
I’ll have the gas tank full. Bring your checkbook👍🏼
Forum rules require that For Sale ads have a price listed.....
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
And yes that car is wicked!
Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Cool looking car. What color is it?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: