Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
Mystery Dent - Ugh!

Went out last night to cover up my car after taking for a run over the weekend and look what I found? I mother of a dent!. It looks like a tool fell on it but I could not figure out WTF happened? I think it is small enough that good dent wizard can smooth it out but them I have to worry about what I do with the scratched paint. I did not another small dent on the door so I am thinking I will remove the inner door panel before taking it over to the local Porsche dealer. Any idea of what these guys charge these days?

Not the best picture. Car is black and got a ton of reflection. Trust me, it is noticable!

Old 04-18-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Do you have kids. With Bikes? It looks like a handlebar dent from a scooter. Ask me how I know. They step on one side of the bottom of it and the soft handle bar at the top strikes the side like a mallet. I do think a paint less dent guy could take care of it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 04-18-2019, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No kids left in the house but if there were they would be the first ones I’d ask/blame! Whatever it was looks like it fell straight down as there were marks on the door handle. If it happened while I was driving I am pretty sure I would have heard it?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Certainly wouldn’t take it to a dealer. Take it to someone that specializes in dents all the time. They will do better than someone that specializes in Porsche’s and occasional dents.
Of course your dealer is just gonna likely call in a dent guy and take an extra charge out of you anyways so just cut out the middle man.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
My dent guy recently charged me $200 for a dent the size of a half dollar on the body line of my jeep. I didnt think he could remove it but he made it perfect in about 25 minutes and i was more than happy to pay him the $200

based on that experience, im having 4 dings on my 911 worked on in June by him...and 4 more next spring (my prior owner was an idiot and my brother dropped a 2x4 or something on one of my front fenders - Gee thanks!)

I have a nasty one with a scratch that im worried he wont be able to get out but im hoping

I too am taking the car to him without the door panels as this will make it easier obviously

its hard to see whats going on in your photo but it looks pretty bad. However, in my limited experience, these dent removal people are amazing

I have heard some refuse or cant remove a dent with paint damage...not sure why

Find one and take the car to him first to see what he says and then make the appointment
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I have two similar dents to that on one of my other cars. The suv in front of me hit a thin strip of something and launched it at my car. Hit the crease between my quarter panel and trunk.. Could possibly be random freeway debris?
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ouch! I had a dent in the middle of the door that was bothering me. I watched a few youtube videos and decided to try it myself. Got the door pannel off and it was directly where the reinforcing bar is! So i carefully drilled a hole in it and managed to get the dent out on my black car. went at it super slow and carefull and it payed off i was so glad I didnt make it worse lol
Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had a '67 911 and a while ago one of the Dent Wizard guys would not work on it because he was afraid the paint would crack or chip because of the age and type of paint used. I am hoping they can heat it and prevent any paint damage. I have the "Dr Color Chip" paint repair and it works wonders on small chips but I'm afraid this will be too big. I will worry about that after I get the dent taken care of.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
I had a ding in the rear quarter panel on my ‘83. Paintless dent guy fixed it. Can’t even tell it was ever there.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have a real good Pdr guy in Orange County .
When I first moved over here I asked around the dealerships and high-class used car dealers Detailers and paintshops and one name (reluctantly) kept cropping up ..
He does all my “daily” dings , Had a few cars done and VERY happy .....

Worth doing a little investigating imho
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Try and to get 3-4 or more cars together that need dents removed and ask removal guy if He’ll give a price break for a group? It’s worked for me. It’s win/ win for all. He gets more business without the travel expense and customers get dents removed. Ask around the office, neighborhood, car club and or buddies. Can make a barbecue party out of it now that Spring is here.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Can't tell where it is on the car from the photo, but I've seen a dent like that in the top of a fender on a black 993 that was more than likely the result of a falling bullet from some idiots shooting their guns in the air to celebrate New Years.

Last edited by SCadaddle; 04-19-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
yes, PDR is amazing. I am restoring a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon right now, and even though I will repaint it completely I bought some rudimentary PDR tools and I am taking out some pretty good sized dents and some smaller dings with the PDR tools!

It is amazing what you can take out. I had a pretty big dent in the rear corner and I got it all out without taking out the inner panels. I even removed several door dings that don't even need filler. this is saving me lots of time and I am impressed.

AND I am not a PDR expert at all....it is just a smart way to remove dents.

++++ on how good the pros are. They can do amazing repair work without paint
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 04-19-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

We use a local PDR guy at the shop. Totally worth the money. 99% of the time he makes them invisible. 1% they are barely noticeable. He comes to us in his car with his tools. I can't see your dent due to the reflection but it sounds like a $100-150 in our area.

His buddy does paint correction and another buddy does windshield repair.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Come on you can get a better photo than that. There's absolute no reference point that's discernible . Where is the dent located?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Had a guy from Extreme Dent Repair - like Dent Wizard but better. The guys from Dent Wizard refused to give it a try but could not have been happier with Rob from Dent Wizard. Highly recommended. If you are in NE Ohio give them a try!

https://extremedentrepair.com/
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

check your security camera in the garage......
Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Good paintless dent removal guys have worked wonders for me in the past. Fast and not sure you have anything to lose.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Good ones are hard to find - like good landscapers! They are always around until you need one!

Keep this info handy!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I thought dents and nicks are now called "patina" and are to be preserved Bummer
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 05-09-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: