Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
tires

1987 carrera
Presently, I have s drive tires by Yokohama on all 4 wheels.
The front ones are still good for 10 - 15,000 miles but the ones in the rear are finished and need replacement...
I Was thinking of replacing the rear tires with a different brand and not change the front ones.
Later on, as they come. Due to be changed, replace them with the same new brand of the rear ones.
My 0uestion is: is this approach feasible or I should not do that because.....
Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Others will chime in with more expertise, but each tire has its own handling characteristics and I would not want that variation. On something like a farm truck this might not be much of an issue.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like its time for a new set of shoes...on all 4 corners.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How old are the fronts?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
For a car that sees regular street driving, my limited experience is that a different brand with the same tire type will not impact handling. After I screwed up my alignment from lowering the car, I was chewing through my tires. I ended up with Kumho and Pirelli all season performance tires because that's what was available. Before that, the car had a set of Continental DWS all around. I drive my car just about every day rain, snow, or shine and I have not noticed any difference in handling from before to now (alignment in spec on both). However, this is mostly commuter traffic and highway cruising. Track type events push tires way closer to the limit. Also, if you started mixing different compound tires like summer sport and snow or winter tires, I would expect some possible adverse handling from that. Right or wrong, that's been my experience.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 White 911 Carrera (a work in progress)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Iv never had the same tires front and rear on my Porsches and I never crashed even once
Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My experience is that the fronts last roughly twice as long as the rears. I would buy another pair of S-drives for the rears and when all of them need replacement, then change all four.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Front tires provide a large % of the stopping power. If they're over 7 years old, change them out regardless of wear.

Current - 75 911 Carrera #144, modified
Sold - 67 911T Coupe racecar, 87 911 Cabriolet, 85 911 Targa, 98 Boxster, 95 993 Coupe, 88 911 Cabriolet
Old 04-22-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

S Drive are Hi-Perf summer tires, right? Brand new Hi or Extreme Perf Summer tires age pretty fast. The first year, you can drive them in snow, if you're sensible/careful. But I find I have to change mine out after at most 3 years, regardless of tread depth- because by the time the 3rd fall comes around, they're truly evil in the damp or when temps drop below 40 or so; the fronts are just skating/sliding around even with generous amounts of tread left.

So it seems pretty obvious they need to be junked - and it's a relief to mount the winter wheels/snow tires. And I buy a new set of 4 Summers in the spring, because the rears were toasted by then anyway...

I think "All Season" tires are pretty much a crock.

I'd expect that the on-going hardening that makes ageing Summers feel greasy and slick in those conditions would also affect their traction even in hotter weather.

Although if the tires are still pretty young, whatever. I prefer not to mix tire brands/models front/rear. But do whatever you personally feel comfortable with. It's a car.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I have done it both ways. Sometimes only replacing the rears. Usually it was not a problem. I did have one new set of rears that did not like the old fronts I kept. So be prepared for that. If I was you, and your fronts aren't more than 5 or 6 years old, go a head and just replace the rears.

If the handling changes to the point that it is a problem with the new rears, then go ahead and change the fronts.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here is what I know about this: Tires are important. Grady Clay will likely offer his perspective.

Did I mention that tires are important? We buy special clutches and innumerable suspension parts, fancy brake parts and then there's the engine upgrades. All the while, those performance parts are acting on four rectangular patches between the tires and the road. That's all I know.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Rears wear twice as fast as the fronts for me and I normally stick with a brand and change after a second set for the rear, this is on my M3

I'm running Continental EXTREMECONTACT SPORT on my 87 Carrera and they handle nice and look nice as I used to also have them on a 740 too. Great tire...
Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

One of those things that's not really black and white. Can you do it? Yes. Is it optimal? No.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
How old are the fronts?
David -- asked about age of the fronts because tires deteriorate with age and shouldn't be run for more than 6-7 years.

I see that your yoko s drives remain available in the 225/50-16 rear wheel size and are rather inexpensive.

Regardless of whether it's "ok" to run different models front/rear, I think everybody would agree that it's generally preferable to run the same model on all 4 corners when possible.

So, unless there's something you really don't like about yoko s drives (which would also point to replacing them all), seems the best bet (if your front tires are still relatively young) is to get another pair of yoko s drives for the rear and call it a day
Old 04-23-2019, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: