Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Almost Done

rear deck strut size

I recently converted to a Stratton Duck on my rear deck and had to remove the 2 struts that were in place on the driver side because the new lid is so light it flexed under their influence

I am surfing the net for a single lower pressure unit to fit but didnt measure the extended and compressed lengths of the old units (since sold). I have a hood rod in place now but prefer to try to use a strut if i can find a suitable fit most are 10 inch extended which seems correct but the compressed is variable between 6.5 and 7.5. Does anyone know or can they measure what theirs is if they happen to have grille off and deck closed?

Thanks

Bob
Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Almost Done

Additional question, the stabilus is listed as 370N.... is that still too high for a fibreglass lid?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

FWIW, I opted to avoid any preload by going with a mechanical / manual strut... 356Racing Home Page
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Almost Done

brilliant! just like an old TR6 or MG....I mailed them for mounting information...thank you so much for your guidance
Old 04-24-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
brilliant! just like an old TR6 or MG....I mailed them for mounting information...thank you so much for your guidance
Happy to help!

Hopefully, they are still in production.

The only downside is clearly communicating, including reminders, the manual nature of the release to anyone that may be working on your car.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Almost Done

Frank

I checked their website and its still active, but they dont have a Phone Number to confirm. E Mailed but no answers yet...guess you wouldn't have a phone number for them would you?.. When did you purchase?

They seem to have activity on social media...so I am optimistic

I may look at a TR6 strut and make my own if I have to..but theirs is soooo nice.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Frank

I checked their website and its still active, but they dont have a Phone Number to confirm. E Mailed but no answers yet...guess you wouldn't have a phone number for them would you?.. When did you purchase?

They seem to have activity on social media...so I am optimistic

I may look at a TR6 strut and make my own if I have to..but theirs is soooo nice.
I acquired mine about a year ago. I'll check my paperwork for a contact number.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

He stopped making them a while back and is thinking about starting production again. In the meantime Rennline started making mechanical frunk supports. But no rear lid supports which seems kinda silly... Why make one without the other?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Almost Done

1. Yes he is com
Nsidering a new run but no time frames yet

2 rennline is developing a rear deck strut to match the new front strut..I suggested they offer a bundle at discounted combo price...they were open to that. No time frame but was promised follow up mail when they have a schedule...I like the support I get from them and pp and have faith we will see the new strut this year. If anyone from rennline reads this please confirm my take on the mail exchange with your sales team (great group)

So I will leave my hood props for now and switch both front and back same time..posting pictures of the new struts in the forum

If any one needs props after that they will in

Be in the selling forum for a bargain price
Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
1. Yes he is com
Nsidering a new run but no time frames yet

2 rennline is developing a rear deck strut to match the new front strut..I suggested they offer a bundle at discounted combo price...they were open to that. No time frame but was promised follow up mail when they have a schedule...I like the support I get from them and pp and have faith we will see the new strut this year. If anyone from rennline reads this please confirm my take on the mail exchange with your sales team (great group)

So I will leave my hood props for now and switch both front and back same time..posting pictures of the new struts in the forum

If any one needs props after that they will in

Be in the selling forum for a bargain price
Thanks for the kind words! Yes - we are actually about 2 weeks away from releasing a rear fully mechanical strut with a lifetime warranty. It will be a match to the hood strut that we released last week which is available here.

I have the prototype rear strut on my own car, and I've finally been able to get the top drivers side of my ducktail to sit flush with the rear cowl. Previously, the hydraulic shocks were putting too much torque on the decklid and it was pushing that corner up when closed.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: