Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Outdoor cover

I have a Sc targa and now on certain nights will Be leaving it outside. Any recommendations on a breathable cover. That wonít break the bank.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a Coverking outdoor cover (bought from our host) for my SC targa. Holding up well after a year. It's not waterproof (figured this out before targa top was rebuilt), but I guess that's the point of a breathable cover. Easy fix is to get a tarp and lay it across the roof before putting the cover on.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
If the cover gets wet, you will have problems. Even from dew. If you don't take it off immediately after it gets wet, or if it gets even slightly dirty when wet and left on, it will ruin your paint. AHIK.

Dust will land on the cover and work its way through the fabric. Wind will cause the cover to move around, however slightly, working the fine dust into your paint. Moisture will make it worse.

If you are diligent and remove the cover daily, shake it out, and make sure it is dry, you may be OK.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What the above poster is saying is the opposite of my experience. I have had a cover king in my 2012 BMW X5 for five years. That car cover is on the vehicle every time it sits outside. It gets rained on, it gets do you want it, I could sprinklers on it… And it’s totally fine. I was just in Texas for four days and the car was sitting outside with the cover on it. I came home and the car wa 2012 BMW X5 for five years. That car cover is on the vehicle every time it sits outside. It gets rained on, it gets do you want it, I could sprinklers on it… And it’s totally fine. I was just in Texas for four days and the car was sitting outside with the cover on it. I came home In the car cover was soaking wet, we have had rain every day while I was gone. I pulled the cover off and draped it over my other car in the garage so it could dry, and drove the BMW. Everything is been just fine. Maybe what he is talking about is correct if you leave the cover on it for months on end. Mine comes off at least once a week. Also my cover is in great shape.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same.Cover by "CoverKing" since 2003 .
They make it for Porsche .It is a outdoor cover and if it is raining, water never gets under it.It is the best cover you can get, pricey but the best....

Ivan
Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Targa cover

I opted for a cockpit cover to help with any leaks as Iím not convinced that the full covers cause as many problems as they solve (unless theyíre light, breathable dust covers used indoors). Iíve had this one so long that I canít remember where I got it.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

costco tents are about the same price as a premium car cover...
Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

the other issue with an outdoor cover is whether there's dirt/grime/etc. on car when you put the cover on -- when the wind rustles the cover, it will grind the dirt/dust against the paint and cause wear.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have used several CoverKing covers over the years, very good product.
Costco occasionally puts them on sale. Bought my last one through them
for $99 plus free ship vs full price at $149. If you're not in a hurry check
Costco from time to time.
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Been covering my car for years, donít know who makes them but the Porsche OEM silver covers work well and last a long time.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche OEM is made by Coverking;-)i payed in B.H.Porsche $325..in 2003 worth every penny...i can cover it even with dust on the car and no scratch whatsoever....

Ivan
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
Well I do not like you. I have been hot for one of his for a long time. They make an amazing difference in hot weather. I wish your memory of where you purchased it was better. LOL
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the info.going to look into the covering
Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
I have used several CoverKing covers over the years, very good product.
Costco occasionally puts them on sale. Bought my last one through them
for $99 plus free ship vs full price at $149. If you're not in a hurry check
Costco from time to time.
As per my previous post the the Silverguard car cover is on sale at Costco thru 5/15 for $99 plus free ship vs Reg price of $149. I bought
this cover 6 months ago and am very pleased.
Costco calls the cover "Xtreme Weave" however when Costco links to Coverking to order, it shows the cover as the Silverguard cover So if you are a Costco member or have a friend who is, this is a great deal!
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa

Last edited by uwanna; 05-13-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

We're offering 17% off on all coverking products. I love mine just as much as all of you so now is the time to buy if any of you haven't already! Hope you all have a happy 4th of July!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/promos/1Coverking6282019/
Old 07-01-2019, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Lucia or others, just curious which outdoor cover do you recommend if I want something super compact. Basically, I leave this in my frunk and put it on my cabriolet when I take it to work so I donít have to put the top up.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

I think the Stormproof is the one I had for an old car of mine. Most of their outdoor covers come with a bag and are easy to roll-up and put away. I can double check on that for you before you pull the trigger if you want.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: