Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
lifting the car

Thanks all for responding...but here are my concerns: 1. your overwhelming suggestion is to remove myself the wheels and bring them to costco to replace the tires and balance them. I will be quite nervous of having the car mounted on support jacks stands on all 4 wheels which means raising the car on each side and placing the stands and hoping for stability after removing the wheels.
2. in my initial posting I suggested a method to be used by costco to use the back torsion tubes and the front bracket support of the tubes as displayed by our host's book...I would love to hear your opinions and/or experiences on this method...thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

You probably wonít be permitted on the Costco service floor (insurance reasons) to explain the pick up points youíre suggesting. These cars can be jacked up safely and remain on jack stands without concern. If truly worried, consider buying just the tires at Costco and take them to a reputable P-car shop that balances tires.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Do it David! We all went through this the first time. We're here to help.

I start by lifting the back then the front. Wiggling the car at each step to ensure stability etc.

PM me if you want. Eventually, you can do your own rotors, brake pads, calipers, etc. I'm a believer of the saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself".

Last edited by mo-mon; 05-09-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

David - the method you mention - back T tubes, front bracket over front of A arm - works just fine. The car is adequately supported, and won't fall over on you.

Break the lug nuts loose before raising the car up. Torque when you put the car back on its wheels and on the ground.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I take the wheels off the car and bring them to the shop. I donít trust the ass monkeys at tire shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
There are 10mm (check size) threaded holes at each corner of the belly pan, just next to the pinch welds. Get yourself four hockey pucks, drill out the centre, including a recess for the bolt head and screw them in. As I recall, on one corner I also had to saw a slit on the puck as the threaded hole is too close to the pinch weld.

Johan
911 SC going in for paint tomorrow and obviously some disassembly...I had 4 pucks and just mounted them...took no time at all...I spent more time in my bolt bin looking for the 4 bolts...I'll prob remove them when it gets back but a nice safety feature for piece of mind.
I had to shave a bit of a corner on the two rear ones but that took a long second on a grinder.
Great idea.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Counterclockwise?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.avrahami@ View Post
Thanks all for responding...but here are my concerns: 1. your overwhelming suggestion is to remove myself the wheels and bring them to costco to replace the tires and balance them. I will be quite nervous of having the car mounted on support jacks stands on all 4 wheels which means raising the car on each side and placing the stands and hoping for stability after removing the wheels.
2. in my initial posting I suggested a method to be used by costco to use the back torsion tubes and the front bracket support of the tubes as displayed by our host's book...I would love to hear your opinions and/or experiences on this method...thanks
David.
1. There are lots of local members (including myself) that can help you put you car on jackstands. Why Costco? There are many places in the GTA that know what they are doing.
2. If you are talking about jacking on the support locations, don't even think about it.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Everyone is worrying about others jacking up your car. No one worries about them "over-shooting" your lugs/nuts? :lol:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Shop for tire shops like you shop for tires. In my town there are a few small, independent tire shops that also sell Michelin, BFG, etc. You might pay a buck or two more, but you may be able to be right there while they lift your car. Not everyone has the space, proper tools or inclination to remove all tires and wheels and lug them to Costco.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I take mine one at a time! Normally replacing either both fronts or both rears not all 4 at the same time, so works for me and tire place just around the corner.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
My car survived some serious jiggling sitting only on jack stands during the last 7.0 earthquake in our region.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 09-01-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
on my 911, I take off the wheels and bring them to tire shop.
+1
Not to mention they use their air wrench haphazardly scratching your Fuchs, and sratching the paint off your lug nuts. I take off my tires by placing a thin rag over one lug at a time, then I use a teflon socket over that. Then I use my torque wrench cautiously. But that's just me.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
I've been working on being nicer.
My natural disposition is alleged to be too abrasive for polite society.

Plus there's no need to disparage anyone who works at Costco . They already work at Costco. They understand perfectly well there's room for improvement.
Last time I was in a Costco tire shop was like 30 years ago. Will not ever go near them again. I brought my daughter's 900 Saab turbo in for tires, and the "tech" [more like a young punk] refused to install anything but the top line 150 MPH rated tire because it was a TURBO!!!

That car had a 2 L turbo engine with 135 HP!!! And my daughter drove it 5 miles to college on city streets. A long noisy argument resulted. I know a bit about tires and have worked in the auto industry for many years. AND I TOLD HIM SO.

I have been good to word in never spending another tire dime with Costco tire department. That punk cost them a lot of $$$ over the years....also all my friends and family have heard this boring story from me and I tell them how bad Costco is for tires.

My current system is to buy tires at Tire Rack, America's tire or others and pay to have them installed at the local shop. Last set I bought was from Tire-Easy.com and their prices and service is better than tire rack.

I just jack up the 911 the car in my garage, put it on stands, remove the wheels and deliver them to the tire shop for mounting. Usually cost $20/ wheel. Well worth it because the savings are so huge.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990

Last edited by dicklague; 09-01-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Other Hockey Puck Lift Pads

These are another nice hockey puck solution which locks into later Carrera lift points.

Jack Pad, Lift Pucks for your 911 Carrera, Boxter, Cayman
Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Last time I had a non-Porsche type shop install tires, they destroyed my rocker covers by using the wrong lift. Not to mention the horror of seeing an 18 year old kid trying to drive the car from the lot into the shop. Start, stall, start, stall......Thanks Firestone. Absolutely not worth it. Go to a shop that at least specializes in European sports cars, preferably vintage. In Toronto there must be a ton of these in the area

Edit...they also dented an oil line
Old 09-02-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
+1

Not to mention they use their air wrench haphazardly scratching your Fuchs, and sratching the paint off your lug nuts. I take off my tires by placing a thin rag over one lug at a time, then I use a teflon socket over that. Then I use my torque wrench cautiously. But that's just me.

Glad Iím not the only one
----------------------------
Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
+1
You're worried about scratching lug nuts?

Yikes, it's a Porsche, not a puppy. Your head would have exploded if you had seen me take a sawzall to mine to cut the trailing arm bolts to get the trailing arms off. Or the angle grinder to my exhaust nuts to swap the catalytic converter for a cat bypass.

I guess it's a good thing we're not all alike, for the world would be a boring place...
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: