Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Engine drop photo

Well itís been a long time coming, but I finally dropped my engine today. Here is the obligatory photo. Used plywood (notched) on a harbor freight motor cycle jack. Used a homemade dolly and a piece of 4x4 to hold up the tranny. Did it solo too.

Another view of the setup:

Since I removed the bumper for painting, I did not have to get really high. I neglected to disconnect the speedo at first, and the clutch cable strap (bolts to driver side of tranny). So this slowed me up.

The mounting bar snapped (passenger side, first photo, bolt too tight?), oh well. The job was a challenge for me for sure. Now I need to carefully remove the Porsche logo in the back and ship the car off to paint. It will be Glasruit original color. Petrol Blue metallic, was going to do Standox until my painter can now get Glasruit locally. Iím in!

More fun begins! Oh next up is cleaning detail.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let me be the first to say 'congratulations'! I dropped mine four months ago and am just getting to the point where I can think about re-installation. Take your time and enjoy the learning experience!

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Congrats!!
Looks like usual triangle of death leaks.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
congrats!!!
Is this your first drop?
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
great job mike ! fantastic...
Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Way to go!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeofOak View Post
Congrats!!
Looks like usual triangle of death leaks.
What signs of the death triangle do you see? It would be nice to know what to look for in the future.

And, again, congrats on the engine drop!

"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 05-19-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't know if the '78 had the mounting bar big long bolt screwed into threads in the vertical cylinder part on the end of the bar, or if it went through and there was a separate washer and nut.

If the latter, counterholding the nut when tightening (or breaking loose) is a good idea to avoid putting a torque on the welded joint.

With the one piece setup, there is nothing to counterhold. I haven't worried too much about the one I have which is that way - not sure if some kind of vice grip would strengthen the joint.

Luckily, shouldn't be hard or expensive to buy a used cross bar. Or to weld the broken part back on.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Congrats !

Bummer on the crossbar member, lots of antiseize will help next time.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
What signs of the death triangle do you see? It would be nice to know what to look for in the future.

I think he sees the years of triangle oil on the transmission. Of course i fixed the triangle about a year ago by removing the CIS with engine in the car! Doh , now it would be easier. When my wife decided we wanted to paint it, I decided the engine needs to drop. More on this story later.

Thanks for the kudos piscator, I learned much from your thread on the drop with its many contributors.

Shadowjack:

Yes it is my first drop, glad I got the 36 mm crowsfoot (to use a breaker bar on the oil line nut) and the motor cycle jack!
Even though I've had the nut off three times now its still not easy with pelican wrench set for this old dude!

Last edited by mike sampsel; 05-20-2019 at 04:17 AM..
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Great!

Now it's time to backdate the heating duckting and get rid off the remains from the airpump.
Refurbishing the engine tin is now a charme.
That trans will love a good clean!
Get yourself a Sachs Sport clutch kit.
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Let me be the first to say 'congratulations'! I dropped mine four months ago and am just getting to the point where I can think about re-installation. Take your time and enjoy the learning experience!
Thanks, I'm thinking painting might get done in early September. Will see if I've got the engine rebuilt by them
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Great!

Now it's time to backdate the heating duckting and get rid off the remains from the airpump.
Refurbishing the engine tin is now a charme.
That trans will love a good clean!
Get yourself a Sachs Sport clutch kit.
Ya ya ...

Need to get the tranny off and off to the car wash in the truck.
Thinking I'm Keeping the airpump remains in case I need to sell to a person who needs all the smog stuff. I might take the engine tin to a powder coater dude!

Ive already got the sach cluch kit
Old 05-20-2019, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
I don't know if the '78 had the mounting bar big long bolt screwed into threads in the vertical cylinder part on the end of the bar, or if it went through and there was a separate washer and nut.

If the latter, counterholding the nut when tightening (or breaking loose) is a good idea to avoid putting a torque on the welded joint.

With the one piece setup, there is nothing to counterhold. I haven't worried too much about the one I have which is that way - not sure if some kind of vice grip would strengthen the joint.

Luckily, shouldn't be hard or expensive to buy a used cross bar. Or to weld the broken part back on.
Yes its the former no nut, the bolts were getting a little testy after the multiple partial drops (and the motor mount replacement too) I've done recently. Part of it might have been technique too as I took out the tranny pass side bolt first which tilted things some, might have made it a little tight when I tried to get the bolt out. After putting tranny bolt back in snug, it was still frozen and I snapped it. Oh well ...

Maybe get the RSR style, rennline stainless? Hum ...

Last edited by mike sampsel; 05-20-2019 at 04:41 AM..
Old 05-20-2019, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
I think he sees the years of triangle oil on the transmission. Of course i fixed the triangle about a year ago by removing the CIS with engine in the car! Doh , now it would be easier. When my wife decided we wanted to paint it, I decided the engine needs to drop. More on this story later.

Thanks for the kudos piscator, I learned much from your thread on the drop with its many contributors.

Shadowjack:

Yes it is my first drop, glad I got the 36 mm crowsfoot (to use a breaker bar on the oil line nut) and the motor cycle jack!
Even though I've had the nut off three times now its still not easy with pelican wrench set for this old dude!
Mike, thanks for the kind words!

I kinda figured it was the oil on the transmission. Mine was pretty dirty, but not as encrusted as yours. I have the triangle of death parts, but didn't install them. I didn't find any evidence of leakage and figured that a seal that's been tight all this time shouldn't be disturbed. I hope that was the right call!

I don't know how far you're going with your project, but I know you'll have fun. You've clearly got the talent if you managed to get the triangle fixed with the engine in the car! Not something I would try! I chose to replace or renew every worn component in the entire car and it's been a great experience. I've learned a lot and gained greater appreciation for the engineering in these cars.

On those 36mmm oil line nuts, boy are those difficult! I gave up trying to loosen them in the car after only 3 tries. The fittings at the tank weren't bad but the ones in the fender -- oh my gosh! It was just easier to take the oil lines out of the car. It's only taken 60 years for me to start leaning that the shortest path is sometimes the longest route!

Lastly, take off the smog stuff and put it all in a box for the next owner. He's not going to want it anyway, but... I got rid of mine years ago.

Looking forward to following your progress. Enjoy!

Last edited by piscator; 05-20-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
Thinking I'm Keeping the airpump remains in case I need to sell to a person who needs all the smog stuff.
hm, no one I know wants and needs that nowadays really.
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Mike, did your two transmission mounts have washers on top and bottom? Figured it was fresh on your mind and you might recall that detail. I've talked to a few that have only had washers on the bottom recently.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats. I've just completed my first in and out job. Because of my age I found it somewhat physically demanding, but it got done

Dont be afraid to ask questions.

Hugh
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats! I have yet to do this but am looking forward somewhat to my first engine drop. Taking it apart and putting it back together (refreshed) is part of the joy of ownership, at least for me.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm not an expert, but the front of the tranny is oil free but it has really caked on gunk the closer it gets to the oil breather area.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: