Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Am eating crow on front pads. They are correct size.

Below are old pads just removed.

Left side.

Right side.

Right front outside pad comes out in multiple parts... The metal plate by itself. Then the pad itself is broken into bits to remove. Pad material was stuck in the caliper sitting close to the rotor. In photo above I have moved it away from rotor to break it.

Rear pads producing the major dust storm are Textar.

Cannot tell what front brakes are.

EBC quality control rates poor in regards to positioning accuracy of the backing cushions. Filing these hang-overs off is meaningless as the offset cushions do not allow brake pad's retaining pin to make passage through the pad. Backing cushion is not glued tightly to pad so it's possible to remove and re-position the cushion as it should be. First impression of these EBC pads is not stellar---disappointing given premium price tag.

Was easy to push back all pistons but for both inside fronts. Calipers need rebuilding. That said, will still bed EBC's and comment on them later.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Pagid, pick a flavor. Original owner used some flea market budget brand wonders, that etched the paint and clear on my Fuchs. Pagid stuff wipes right off without any fuss or damage. I use orange pads and titanium heat shields, it’s like throwing a tugboat anchor out when you hit the brakes!
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 06-03-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Are you going to rebuild the calipers? They look pretty cooked, dust boots torn, etc.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
Are you going to rebuild the calipers? They look pretty cooked, dust boots torn, etc.
My first thought.

Second thought. John will be chiming in on this one....
'69 Beetle
Old 06-03-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
it’s like throwing a tugboat anchor out when you hit the brakes!

Quote:
Yup... that's up next John.

Any comment on self bleeder valves? (Am not sure if that's what they're called. Idea is one can bleed brakes alone.)

Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 06-04-2019 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Any comment...
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Never felt the need for self bleeders. I grew up poor and just attached a foot long piece of fuel hose to the nipple and pumped the pedal until it bled clear, no bubbles and closed the valve before removing the hose. Just like holding fluid in a drinking straw with your finger on the end, the fluid stays in the hose and keeps air from going back in. Or get a Motive bleeder. I drilled a hole in the top of mine and installed a steel tire valve, just air pressure, no brake fluid inside. Just keep your reservoir from going dry in the process.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Never felt the need for self bleeders. I grew up poor and just attached a foot long piece of fuel hose to the nipple and pumped the pedal until it bled clear, no bubbles and closed the valve before removing the hose. Just like holding fluid in a drinking straw with your finger on the end, the fluid stays in the hose and keeps air from going back in. Or get a Motive bleeder. I drilled a hole in the top of mine and installed a steel tire valve, just air pressure, no brake fluid inside. Just keep your reservoir from going dry in the process.
Gonna give that a go John. Thank you.

Am replacing calipers with new rather than rebuilding them. New rotors as well.

Some years ago, when I went to open a bleeder, large chunk of caliper came with the bleeder as if the metal had lost its bonding. Internal metal looked like very dry cake when it crumbles.

Rather than attend my old brake parts piecemeal over coming years, am diving in to get it done in one shot. What condition my master is in is unknown. Will leave that alone for the time being.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: