Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
picture request - how much clearance from pulley to fan housing?

Would anyone be able to share a picture or two clearly showing how much clearance you have between your fan housing and the crank pulley? Mine seems extremely tight and i think I might want to loosen the band and see if i can wiggle it back some.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
The SCs are seriously close.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is feeler gauge tight; barely can see light between it.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 05-21-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm interested to hear more about this. My belt keeps hitting the face of my fan under heavy throttle and cant seem to get it tilted back far enough. But to answer the OPs question: Mine is super close to the pulley on an 87 3.2
Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Here’s a photo of mine. It probably has a 3/16th’s inch gap. Given that the fan housing sits on a dowel rod (peg), if your not seeing a gap similar to mine your housing is not likely positioned correctly on the peg. Just loosen the strap and wiggle and jiggle it until it seats itself on the peg.

Regards,
David
Old 05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
the fan Rotors should not touch the shroud at any spot!

if ist rubbing at bottom like in last picture, I guess the fan is slightly tilted, so there must be some obvious gap at top(?).

take off the fan belt, take out fanshroud with fan an check the seating of the fan/alternator within the shroud.

something for sure has come out of alignment.
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Many housings are notched at the pulley for clearance
Bruve
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
The SCs are seriously close.
Looking closely at your photo, there appears to be more than enough clearance. Mine also was very close but it wasnt touching.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Floco - the scraping occurred on the first startup following having the fan and housing refinished (ouch!). It was a result of having overly tightened the strap. After correctly torquing the strap there was no further contact between fan and housing.

Please note that the photo I provided was to show the gap of the housing and pulley to the original post, but I guess doing so leaves me wide open to my mistakes.

Regards,
David
Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Just a couple of things:

Tracktrash's photo doesn't have the strap installed. Probably not a great example but it still does look pretty close. The 3.2 seems to have more of a gap than the few SC pictures I've seen.
Mine, like RWest is very close. Probably .020" or less even.

It does appear that mine is out towards the rear of the car a little more than it should be. I'll loosen my strap and readjust.

Thanks for everyone who replied!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: